Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Not sure if I should just ask in here or make a new thread, but I'll ask anyway. Let me know otherwise.

I downloaded a program. Being generally paranoid, I did an on-demand scan (like usual) on the executable/self-extracting archive and got a slightly inconclusive hit (seems like potentially a false positive, from what little information I found). I never manually ran the executable. Uploaded it to VirusTotal and 15/55 came back with a result but again, the results seemed fairly generic and inconclusive. I deleted the program and have run several full scans on my system with MSE, TDSSKiller, Rkill, Comodo Cleaner Essentials/KillSwitch/Autorun Analyzer, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. Running KillSwitch, there are a few drivers in the "Services" with nonsense names that I can't find any real information on (qrhwas, tcoifh, uotote), but I have no idea if they're related to the various scanners or what. Other than that, there are various "unknowns" from my Bluetooth and Creative audio drivers, and some mshtml.dll entries from Autorun Analyzer (about, javascript, mailto, res, vbscript), but they're signed Microsoft and don't throw any flags in the other scanners. Nothing else unknown or suspicious shows up in any of the other scanners.

There aren't currently any new problems that I've noticed with the system. Is there anything else I should do to try to make sure nothing's wrong? Should I still be at all worried about this, or should I just assume it was a false positive and the system's fine? I tend to be overly paranoid and just wipe everything whenever a suspicious file pops up, which I think is probably overdoing it and overly time-consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

Then you're no worse off than you were before unless it exploited your AV engine or eg the PE parser bit of windows (realistically it probably didn't)
Yeah, I think it was more realistically not something to worry about. Ugh.

cheese-cube posted:

What did the AV engines on VirusTotal report it as? Usually you can find an accompanying KB article from the relevant vendor which lists signs of infection that you can check for. Of course that's assuming that it's fairly benign.
MSE reported it as "Trojan:Win32/Dynamer!ac," I think it came up as "Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT" and "Trojan/Win32.TSGeneric" in a couple of others, and one might have mentioned something about adware. I'm guessing it would've fallen under the category of false positive or "potentially unwanted program." Can't really go back and find the results or re-scan the file at this point.

Volmarias posted:

I would be worried about this regardless. Do AV, etc scanners generally use random names now?
I don't know. MSE created a service/driver/whatever to reboot and delete a PUP (safe, but I didn't need it anymore so I just let it), and that was a bunch of random letters when it came up in KillSwitch.

I ended up blowing away my OS again anyway soon after I posted. I'm guessing I overreacted to the whole thing and was just in too lovely of a state of mind to keep myself calm. I've been sick for two weeks now and it's getting to me. I'm gathering up some bootable disks to try scanning outside of any kind of Windows install to see if anything comes up, but I think I just overreacted like usual.