Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ArgaWarga posted:

Odd question: I bought a ThinkPad T450s and decided what the hell, I'll spring for the fingerprint scanner. Are there any password managers that will use it, or is it strictly Lenovo proprietary? Just curious, great thread, really useful information.

If it's Windows Biometric compatible, LastPass can use it, but it'll need the binary component for things like Chrome in-browser compatibility (and installing that is complicated now that Chrome's changed the rules on extensions and plugins). I have my issues with LastPass*, and I don't know how you'd switch back to normal passwords/2factor if at some point you couldn't use your fingerprint scanner anymore, but hey it's an improvement over a moleskine in a 4-digit PIN safe, and a drat sight better than a post-it on a display frame. Still, don't jump in unless you know how to get back out without the fingerprint scanner (like in an emergency where the laptop is stolen/busted/lost). After all, sure it doesn't compromise your identity if you get locked out of all your stuff, but it'd still clearly be a catastrophic security failure.

KeePass needs it to be password-field or command-line ready and I have no experience with fingerprint scanners in general and the T450S's in particular, so it's worth a shot but LastPass may still be the better option. Keep in mind there's a real good chance that different fingerprint readers won't convert your patterns to passphrases the same way.

Google is talking about fingerprints for Android M (5.2? 6.0?), but it's probably not going to be accessible in Chrome's password management (good on Google for making Smart Lock Google-wide instead of just in Chrome, though), let alone accessing Google accounts through a general-purpose computer, until/unless Chromebooks start showing up with fingerprint scanners.

I don't know about other password management services.

*Admittedly your recourse if poo poo Happens with your data has gotten better since last I looked. However, they - and basically every other online password management service - is still operating under limited licensing/bonding/auditing; that is, they still aren't accredited like you'd probably want someone entrusted with the keys to ... well, YOU to be accredited (think how an accountant or attorney is qualified and regulated).

v v v I don't know if I'd say that as an absolute, but yeah LastPass is pretty grandpa-tier and someone simply reading this thread is probably an indicator they can pull off KeePass.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU