Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

My parents just had their new laptop (LG Gram) compromised. Apparently the computer became unresponsive and they got a virus warning and a phone number to call "microsoft" to resolve the situation.
My dad's grasp of English is tenuous at best so he always delegates these things to me or my brother but unfortunately this time he decided to act... sigh.
What the scammers did to their computer is a mystery to me, but he did have to type some stuff into various windows.

I told them not to power up that computer until I come over this weekend to nuke it from orbit and do a clean install of windows, but considering they had complete access to the laptop, would that be enough?
Any other steps I should take, like change router passwords and some such?
All passwords were changed and banks notified, but I want to be sure that these fuckers still wont have access to this laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Thank you for putting my mind at ease!
Everyone's time and expertise is greatly appreciated! :D