Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

You're just coming across as a loudmouth idiot with all this stereotypical smartass "IT guy" hurrrrr micro$haft bluster

So your concern is that a malicious or compromised site could switch to a phishing page while you aren't looking.

Why are you logging into websites manually to begin with? This problem is solved completely by using a password manager.

Disabling JS to prevent phishing is like trying to kill a fly with a mallet and suggests you have bigger problems.

Using a password manager is good advice. Any recommendations? I've been using KeePass for ages, but seeing as I am not a security expert I'd be welcome to suggestions for alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

Now if you were to define a program that worsened system performance by 15-50% per scenario, opened backdoors to exploits, reduced browser security and sold your data, would I be talking about an AV or the malware it's designed to stop?

Both. :3:

Relevant side-question from the discussion on the last page, anyone got a good breakdown of HTML5 vs. Flash in terms of security and vulnerabilities? Is it sandboxed better to prevent egregious poo poo, less long-standing known security flaws, smaller current userbase, etc.?