Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Melian Dialogue posted:

I bought a new laptop recently, but never bothered to migrate old files off of my old one. I'm interested in using some type of Remote desktop software or something so that I basically use my old laptop like an external HD (i.e. just go into Explorer, open up the folders and such from the other laptop and control it from my new laptop).

All the stuff with remote desktop and all of that has me paranoid. What's the safest and easiest way to do this without installing some hokey software that has a thousand exploits?

You could buy 3TB of external storage for like 60-100 depending on deals etc, if you need something faster than external USB3.0/2.0 storage will provide, you can buy a 1TB internal for like 40-60, depending on if you have an extra slot for a second drive.

Your other option is to fire up the other laptop and share out whatever folders you need files from, RDP is way overkill for what you're trying to do, you can share the folders/give permission for your new laptop/user to access those files (or the whole file system!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU