Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Is the reset my pc option (all files gone) comparable to the traditional flatten and reinstall method?

I ask because my mom was sent a phishing email with pdf attachment, opened it in preview (gmail on the web, I think it’s chrome or Firefox, forgot to ask) without clicking anything in it and then realized later in the day that was a silly thing to do. Didn’t pop the automated gmail av scan or windows defender and no weird behavior observed yet but I had her disconnect from internet and turn the thing off to be safe.

I don’t see her being able to do the old fashioned way and I’m 10 hours away so I can’t do it for her, so I’m hoping the built in is good enough - is that so?

Or is this overkill? I’m sensitive about this poo poo since she’s getting targeted by this stuff a lot recently

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I thought there was still some risk in opening pdf attachments in the gmail file preview, is that not the case? For more context it was a fake invoice pdf with fake customer service info and stuff for a fake Norton subscription, that kind of thing

As you can tell I am not plugged into this kind of thing!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Okay that all makes me feel a bit better, thank you all! I’ll continue looking into it out of curiosity (naturally I see divided opinions at first blush) but I’ll relax a bit and ask her to be careful. Since I don’t want to do phone tech support often :)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ran an offline defender scan which I do periodically today and it came back detecting autokms hacktools in windows/system32/sppextcomobj.exe which it removed. I remember autokms being a workaround for windows licensing but I last did that many years and fresh installs (edit: and machines) ago and I’m pretty sure it had its own dir so I’m weirded out. I also didn’t think this exe had anything to do with it in particular but I don’t really know windows.

Anyway I guess I either goofed somewhere despite normal precautions or maybe defender is being goofy. I’m curious so I figured I ask what might be going on here if anybody knows

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 7, 2023