Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

apseudonym posted:

Nah, not really.

Marshmallow was released going on 5 months ago and 1% of android phones are running it. IOS 9 came out a few weeks prior and 77% of iphones are running it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Squeegy posted:

Along with her contacts list?

Yes, I've had it happen to a few clients. Change her password and setup a filter/rule to dump the bounce messages until they stop.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Casimir Radon posted:

Ok that's good. The ironic thing is I probably never would have found out if the shitbag she talked to on the phone hadn't tried to scam $100 more out of her after she gave them $35.

That's so low it almost seems like a real thing. Most of the scammers here start at $200 and go up to $600 for lifetime protection.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

andrew smash posted:

What's the best way to keep that stuff in this kind of situation? A cloud service? Stacks of DVD-Rs? A usb hard drive? I am inclined to distrust a USB drive that has been plugged into a known malware-ridden machine but I am admittedly an interested layperson at best when it comes to this stuff and would appreciate the input of others.

You're not going to run into something that can turn a USB drive into an infection source on 99.9% of computers. Copy any documents, pictures, music etc you want off the pc, format the drive and reinstall windows.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just let them do it, it doesn't hurt anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Fair enough. I can't wipe the drives as you can't create an iso to reinstall from keylessley but I'll use the built in feature and cross me fingers. Cheers

I'm like 90% sure you don't need a key to download the win10 ISO from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That’s my experience with these scams as well. They could use the access to do something malicious, but it’s more time efficient to just ask for a CC number and move on to the next victim if they don’t get it.