Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello thread there's a dude who called my mother one time about her computer security and now he can remote into her computer. Wrote him out a personal check and sent it in the mail. Apparently he has some kind of "security" thing with Microsoft. This sounds sketch as gently caress right?

Am I in the right place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Unguided posted:

Stop payment on that check immediately.

OSI bean dip posted:

That sounds sketchy as hell. Was this cheque written recently?

Yeah this happened some time ago. It's long gone.

Segmentation Fault posted:

That is 100% a scam. I've seen this happen before several times.

The thing is that it was about a year ago. I told her it was a scam then and she said "we'll see" and so far she hasn't been locked out of her computer so this guy is on the level, supposedly. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how I convince my mother (an Excel wizard) that continuing this relationship is a bad idea

E: I won't continually pester the thread with updates on "this didn't work" or "that didn't work", I'm just at my wits end here. Can I point to something on the Internet for her to look at?

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 19, 2015

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks, really appreciate that.