Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Squeegy posted:

Isn't Javascript also notoriously insecure?

What gave you this impression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ublock origin (like any other extension that can inject scripts into a page) can essentially rewrite the page at its whim. It actually only uses that power to remove ads, but it's not possible for Safari to enforce that that's the only thing its doing. It shows the warning because those are all things that the extension could totally do if it was written by a malicious person who wanted it to do those things, and it's up to you whether you trust it to be benign.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Red_Fred posted:

Something that just occurred to me (after years of using a password manager); does KeePass have a function to reset your passphrase if you ever forget it?

If you could, then what would be the point of having a passphrase to begin with? Anyone wanting to break in could just use the reset functionality instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If details are still embargoed, anyone who knows for sure probably isn't going to drop all the deets here.

But usually this sort of thing is "the component used to generate thumbnails (e.g. for the file explorer) fails in an exploitable way if the file is malformed".

Jabor fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 12, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That motherboard has a USB2 header on it, so if you make sure you're plugging peripherals into the right place it should be functional enough that you can install usb3 drivers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Harminoff posted:

Is there any way a site can control your mouse through chrome?

I was looking around Slickdeals and all of a sudden cdkeys opens up to a pubg mobile tokens page. It then tried to add to cart and buy it, and I could watch my mouse move.

It took a bit of wiggling my mouse to get control back and cancel it.

I have adguard on pi. I ran windows antivirus as well as Malwarebytes and both found nothing.

No they cannot. All the web security stuff would be entirely pointless if the web page could just grab your mouse and make it click on the "yes allow this page to use your camera" button.

What they can do is hide your cursor (while it's over the webpage and not some other window on your desktop) and show you a video with something that looks like a mouse cursor, in the hopes that you panic and click on stuff to try and stop whatever it's showing you.

You didn't type in any personal information in order to "cancel" this thing, did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I get why they did that though. Most people using computers these days don't know what a file extension is. The people that do know, know how to enable it in settings.

I think you have cause and effect backwards here.