Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I genuinely can't wait to see the op completed. I recently got a new hard drive an did a fresh I install of windows and made sure I had everything up to standard but it looks like some of my knowledge was out of date. So I replaced a few things I used previously with the new suggestions.

So the last area I need to secure further would be password security. What are the general suggestions for that? I don't use the same password for anything and have a password manager but I am sure there are newer, or at least better ways than I have currently. I ask because I was using lastpass in the past because it was so easy to use with chrome addons but I am aware of the security risks that it carries and want to move to something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

OSI bean dip posted:

OP update is still in the works. Blame work, DEFCON, and my personal project. I can easily answer questions however. I do have some help from others on the OP too.

To be honest, let your password manager generate the passwords. A while back I was using my own tool to generate the passwords in the event I ever have to manually type them in, but it's getting less and less common for me to have to do so.

I recommend using KeePass as a solution followed by 1Password should it not meet your requirements. KeePass is multi-platform, free, and it's pretty easy to synchronise the file using any file sharing service (Dropbox, Box, OwnCloud, whatever). The Android and iOS versions of the application work great and I have never had issues with the file getting corrupted, et cetera. I use KeePass across Windows, OS X, Linux, and Android with no problems--although on OS X I do recommend MacPass as it is a native application and doesn't rely on Mono.

LastPass is complete garbage and the reason for that is that it is entirely cloud-dependent with some exception and the developers cannot seem to get its poo poo straight. KeePass does have some limitations as its browser integration is flakey, but I do suggest using it over LastPass as if you can keep the file secure, then you know you're okay. Keeping the file secure really primarily consists of not having a lovely password for the file to begin with (don't reuse it and make sure it cannot be generated easily) as a primary and then keeping the file away from others as as secondary.

1Password gets a mention as it is as good as KeePass except that it does cost money.

Alright thanks for the info dump. I am going to give KeePass a shot and see how that works for me. I mostly used Lastpass for junk account with junk websites that I only needed to sign into on rare occasion so I wouldn't remember the passwords for that stuff but even then I want to make sure I keep everything together now and more secure than what Lastpass has been.