Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Might be a silly question but what is the best way to get rid of persistent malware/adware?

I've got rid of most of the problem after running adwcleaner and Malwarebytes, reseting Chrome, and uninstalling a few unwanted programs but I can't seem to stop chrome loading 'feed.helperbar.com/etc etc' and snapdo search as the home page (but only when I open Chrome for the first time, new tabs are fine). I've gone through the extensions and settings for Chrome, can't find anything there that isn't meant to be there. Internet Explorer doesn't have this issue when I open it.

Even if you already fixed it by reinstalling Chrome: Sometimes malware changes the shortcut to include an URL in the file path, so it opens up their lovely search engine when you first open the browser, but not on new tabs. I've only seen it once before, but it's something scanners apparently overlook.
Might also be why you were missing options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Serious question: Why is everyone so convinced using a password manager is a good idea? To me it just seems like putting all your eggs in one basket.
Secondary question: Other than syncing across devices, what good are they over in-browser password storage? I never use it for similar reasons, and doesn't stuff like Firefox Sync or its Chrome counterpart that I am sure exists also do the trick?

It doesn't matter how complex your password for the meatspin.com forums is if someone can get to your password vault. Especially when that's protected by a password you're supposed to remember yourself instead of letting the computer generate a hash of correct horse battery staple.
Yes, I know your password vault will not be stored on the sites you use it for, but you should be using unique passwords anyway*.

*I use unique passwords for important stuff, throwaway accounts for things I don't care about are just that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for the replies, it makes a bunch more sense when you put it like that.

What about the second question, though?

(Ignoring the generation of a strong password.) "Other than syncing across devices, what good are they over in-browser password storage? I never use it for similar reasons, and doesn't stuff like Firefox Sync or its Chrome counterpart that I am sure exists also do the trick?"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

ISP-run DNS tends to go down more, and they have been known to replace what should be NXDOMAIN responses with adverts, or to deliberately return wrong A records in an attempt to block sites. You also don't know whether they collect your DNS queries or what they do with them. ISPs are generally complete scum

You're extrapolating your experiences with the US' ridiculous ISPs to the rest of the world. Over here in The Netherlands I've only had issues with my ISP's DNS three times in the last 10 years.

Also, you also don't know whether the non-ISP DNS collects your queries or what they do with them, so why even consider that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Khablam posted:

OpenDNS filtering owns, and if you need any other reason to use it, it makes graphs of your requests.

But wasn't that the stuff Rufus Ping was making GBS threads their pants about earlier? gently caress! Looks like free services actually do need to make money somehow! Better spin up your own personal DNS server and stock up on tinfoil.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I used to power up the drives with the case open and see what kind of spirals I could make by resting a screwdriver on the platter while it's spinning.
Nowadays I just take out the magnets and give the platters to my mom who uses them for decoration or as small mirrors.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can someone who knows more about this than me take a look and confirm/deny whether Unchecky is good? https://unchecky.com/

I've been using it for maybe the last year or so. It's been pretty good for me and my parent's computer. But we don't really do much installing of crap from the internet so I've only seen it in action a small handful of times (including one false positive from The Sims 3 Create a Pattern Tool).

Things I like about the tool:
It just sits in the systray and keeps itself up to date, unless you specifically tell it not to do so.
It doesn't spam you with billions of popup messages like lovely AV clients do.
You can turn off the icon in the systray and notifications so it's even more unobtrusive.

Things I don't like about the tool:
I got a single false positive with it once?

E:
As for how much of a load it is on your system: It's using 2.124 K of RAM right now on my computer and very sporadically 1% of CPU. I think a singular browser toolbar getting through would be a bigger load on your over-all system.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 22, 2016

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you had a case of malware on your computer the browser shortcuts in your taskbar, start menu and desktop may have been altered to include a malicious url.
Right-click the icon and go to the properties (if it's a pinned taskbar icon, right-click the Mozilla Firefox entry in the list that pops up). Then check in the Shortcut tab to see if the target doesn't have an url after the file path.

E: Same goes for Chrome and IE et al., for some reason malware removal tools never fix these real simple things. Maybe they're afraid of false positives. :shrug:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

uPen posted:

I'm like 90% sure you don't need a key to download the win10 ISO from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'm like 100% sure that I used my android phone to download an actual ISO instead of the media creation tool without a key from that site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Theoretically, new everything. Realistically he probably just took it out to eyeball the number printed on the card so the people at Verizon would know whose card (and phone) it was.