Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What's the best iOS app for Keepass out there? It needs to be able to sync with my key file that's hosted on Dropbox. I don't mind paying a bit if I can get an easy to use interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

When the time comes for a new computer, buying something a couple generations old is kind of a trap, since you're saving at the most about a 100 bucks for an OS that's going to lose support if it hasn't already and a computer that may struggle to perform.
If your daughter needs something nowish, check if there's a freegeek nearby. They can hook you up with a decent computer for real cheap, usually using Ubuntu, which they also offer classes in.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Don't do this if it means going with Ubuntu. Ubuntu sucks and her Steam games probably won't work.

It's an emergency solution that lets her do homework and facebook, just in case. But yes, most games won't work or will require dicking around with wine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oysters Autobio posted:

Curious to know if this is actually dumb or I'm overinflating the existing security of e transfers to begin with, or I'm clutching pearls over nothing.

My bank started doing 2FA for confirming etransfers (which is good, right?), but instead of just sending a code on SMS they send the entire details of the transfer in the message "Enter code XXXXX now to send $3333 via e-transfer to Jimmy BEANS".

I mean, I guess they want to do this so you can confirm that its a legitimate 2FA SMS, but isnt sending the details of the whole transfer over SMS sort of problematic because its all in plain text? I know this is a sort of generic pearl clutching over privacy and without a real threat model or anything but I recall hearing lots of issues with SMS security these days.

It's not great but if somebody has access to your phone number (usually via SIM swapping), you have bigger problems.

In my country you can choose to use physical one-time pads supplied by the government for online transactions and transfers. Good in a scenario like this because it requires SIM swapping and stealing the one-time pad. Of course this is still regularly defeated by social engineering, lots of gullible folks end up sending pictures of their one-time pads to scammers.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

You trust the government with access to your money? *GASP*

Marginally more than a bank, I can vote elected officials out, but not bank directors :v:

I've had banks fight me over obvious credit fraud, they see it as a cost of doing business and would prefer to pass the risk on to the customer.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deleted, wrong forum

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 28, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

4. Assuming you aren’t a likely prospect for targeted attacks and don’t torrent/click on random stuff, I think it would be easier to set-up another user dedicated only to financials on your primary computer. And set your daily user account to restricted permissions and no admin.

I did this (primarily for productivity reasons so I don’t get distracted by steam notifications and the like) and it’s been a godsend when I’m working

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Benchmarks aside, antivirus kinda lost the arms race years ago. It’s pretty easy to restore or reinstall windows these days so the easiest option is to use the built in AV and wipe everything if you download some malware