Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Is 7-zip a good way to encrypt sound files?
I don't know about anything wrong with 7-zip but why not GnuPG?

gpg --symmetric FILE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
If it's a sentence then it's not high entropy at all.

Using special characters or punctuation greatly increases the user's cognitive load for negligible entropy gain.
If entropy is not enough, and another word to an alphabetic, lowercase only diceware passphrase instead of increasing the likelihood of misremembering or stumbling into keyboard character encoding issues when emergency unlocking.

80+ bits is enough forever, no one will ever brute force that, nor will anyone bother to try it when other things are so much easier.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I think she means like a sentence, but not an actual sentence. E.g. "Correct, Horse Battery Staple."

Sure, but the point stands, unless you're confident that:

1) you'll never get confused about what and where the punctuation is, and

2) you'll never type your passphrase in a different locale than your current one (do you know where the comma and question mark keys are in a french keyboard layout?)

are both true, then you're better off rejecting any characters other than lowercase ASCII letters in your master password.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

unless you are advocating against the use of special characters.
I definitely am.

It's OK to use them in web logins that are kept in a password manager and never typed by a human but for a master password and any other really important ones, the ones that should be written down on paper and never updated, lowercase ASCII letters only is the way to go.

Encryption is a fantastic way of locking oneself out of important data when it's most needed.

RFC2324 posted:

And point 1 is an argument against strong passwords of any type.
What? You don't need punctuation or any special characters for strong passwords, you need high entropy.

If an entropy estimator has a ceiling for strictly alphabetic passwords, it's plainly broken. But enough bike-shedding from me.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
No comment on CA trust issues but wrt SHA1 as a crypto hash function: it's hard as gently caress to create collisions for (iow, it's broken, not cryptographically secure any longer) and (like MD5) still 100% secure against pre-image attacks.