Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Did anyone mention the importance of keeping software up to date? I assume that's fairly important, heck I'd guess out of date software is in top 5 reasons systems get compromised?

Is secunia PSI well regarded for informing about updates? Something else these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Any advice for momputing? I've got a mom with a 'puter and she's not good at internet, what do I do that makes her less likely to get malwares.

hooah posted:

I got fed up with Secunia PSI, since it kept going unresponsive or being unable to update things. Someone recommended PatchMyPC, and it's worked really well so far (about a month).

Thanps I'll try that out!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

spankmeister posted:

SumatraPDF works and is nice and lightweight, but looks like rear end.

And that's why I like it :colbert: