Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

There's a lot about cellphone OS security that I don't know. Is this a reasonable place to ask some basic questions?
The Yospos security thread has at least a few mobile OS folks.

quote:

For example, a lot of sites do 2fa through apps like Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile in lieu of hardware token like an RSA hardware token. How secure is 2fa through a phone in comparison, and are there distinct weak points to be aware of? Let's assume an unrooted phone with encryption enabled, using a strong passcode. There's always a chance of sec fuckups in general computing environment compared to a simple security token, but are there known weaknesses, say, if a malicious app is accidentally installed, or your phone connects to a hostile network?
Unless your phone is compromised by an attacker that can read the data of your authenticator app you're fine. A malicious app on either iOS or android does not fall into that without exploits, mobile OS's are highly sandboxed between applications so the whole 'any app installed can do anything' from Windows doesn't really apply anymore. Hostile networks don't come into play with your 2 factor so your only risk is if they have a remote exploit or similar.

quote:

If anyone happens to know about iPhone/TouchID security in particular, I'm curious how that ties in to device encryption. When the phone is shut off completely it requires the passcode for access (and again every few days for good measure). Otherwise it can be unlocked more conveniently with TouchID. Consider the following three iPhone states: 1) iPhone just turned on and is asking for device passcode to continue, 2) iPhone is locked and can be unlocked with TouchID, and 3) iPhone on for >2 days and is now locked and requiring password reentry to unlock. Is there a difference between these 3 states relating to the security of the full device encryption? For example does a phone being unlockable via TouchID (or generally being on with background processes running) indicate that a decryption key could be recovered from RAM more easily? If this is a dumb question, feel free to let me know; I have very little knowledge of this security architecture.
Between 2 and 3 as far as I know of iOS's encryption model the keys are still in RAM, so all those hardware attackers are equally applicable. The first boot requirements and passcode logic isn't so much about the keys as it is a bunch of other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks for the info. Practically speaking, how hard is that kind of attack for an unrooted phone? Assuming you're not a target of a TLA is it reasonable to ignore?

Depends the attacker, the device, and you.

Are you on a newish version of the OS and avoid downloading and installing stuff outside the official stores or going out of your way to disable security features? If so you're in a very good spot, you're more likely to get your 2 factor phished than your phone owned, the person is way easier to exploit than the device.

Use 2FA, it makes it way harder for hackers in unspecifiedistan to get into your poo poo. Your phone is a good device for this since you have it on you and you are almost certainly not interesting enough for a targeted attack.

If your adversary is the government where those services are hosted or where their officers are you're already hosed anyways :)

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I meant how hard is it to, for example, grab whole device encryption keys from RAM on an unrooted iPhone. My understanding is that this kind of thing is mostly theoretical and it would be beyond the capabilities of non-government adversaries. Is this about right? e.g. if there was some grey-market Chinese kit for owning smartphone encryption then there probably wouldn't be those anti-encryption political rants floating around recently...

If the keys are in memory and they have physical access? Doable but I couldn't tell you the difficulty on an iPhone because I don't really do hardware attacks :shobon:.

e: probably harder than breaking all your other devices by a good amount.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

So if the Blackphone is a dud what options are there where you can still have decent functionality with say Android apps, but still have some semblance of security on mobile? Why does my Camera need access to "Modify settings" and why does a Sudoku app need permissions for Geotagged locations?? Do you pretty much have to be a hermit and not use any mobile tech?

Get a phone running M and revoke permissions as you see fit? :shrug:

e: And dont sideload apps and you're fine, easily better off than your desktop. hth.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 27, 2016

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Overall, mobile phones really suck for security.

Nah, not really.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Add the fact there is what I said:

Your baseband radio has so much outside control without the OS' knowledge.

If your threat model is NSA spookiness there's lots of easier things to do to non-mobile devices and far less integrity protection, though radios are a nice place to try and drop persistent code for sure depending on the hardware layout of the specific device.

That's not really a realistic threat model for probably everyone browsing SA though, we're not worth that kind of attention. If your threat model is realistically the NSA your hardware all got shipped to you owned in ways youll never detect.

The threat model for most of SA users is just the usual random poo poo on the internet combined with idiotic views on how security actually works leading to shooting themselves in the foot.

In actual practical security for your average person mobile is far better than older OSs simple because we've learned from a lot of mistakes in older OSs' designs. The malware numbers for mobile are ridiculously small compared to desktop OSs.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Yeah. But my remark is whether or not you can secure a phone and the answer is "not really". Also suggesting that the NSA is my concern is incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuaGt83ZCiw

This isn't NSA-level stuff and can be done with hardware that's less than $400 USD. The baseband is a serious concern.

Oh, you're coming at this with regards to bugs and exploiting. Sorry when people talk about the baseband its usually very :tinfoil: NSA stuff.

Yes, bugs in the components of a device that touch the network are fun, but keep in mind WiFi drivers and hardware have similar bugs all too often, its an area of work across a lot more than mobile.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/08/blackphone-goes-to-def-con-and-gets-hacked-sort-of/

The last sentence had me kind of giggling. But yeah, I don't really trust mobile phones and it's really hard to write a proper guide these days because removing the battery is pretty difficult--airplane mode is a joke.
48 hours is actually quite good for taking a patch, making a new build of the OS, QAing it(hopefully, but in that time I doubt it), and starting a rollout.

If you don't trust the hardware that's fine, but there's a certain level of trusting trust here, the advice of "pull out the battery" or "airplane mode if you're not using it" is just making it secure by making it useless. You can use a dumb phone if you want but then whats the point, who even uses phone calls anymore.

quote:

The problem is that details on the radios is kept very close to the manufacturers' chests. Nobody can really do an audit outside of their own drivers.
This is equally true for most hardware in any device, the NIC and wireless radio in your laptop is probably just as difficult to audit and probably worse than the baseband in quality because security people don't pay near as much attention to those.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Speaking of crazy persons: http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-nsa-back-door-gives-every-us-secret-to-enemies-2016-2

Is there anything to this alarming/alarmist piece? Even if you didn't know John McAffee wrote it?

There were two backdoors, one which anyone could exploit (and was very amateurish) and one that with the knowledge of a private key would allow the decryption of traffic secured by that device. That second one is a dead ringer for the kinds of things intelligence agencies want, traffic decryption and most importantly nobody but us capability.

quote:

So, while the NSA was monitoring our perceived Middle Eastern enemies, the Chinese and Russians, and god knows who else, were making off with every important secret in the US, courtesy of the NSA’s back door.

Is poo poo, tbh. I'm sure some fun happened due to the first backdoor, but calling that the NSA backdoor is disingenuous.

Also they go on a lot about it being a programmer 'planted' by the NSA, there is no evidence to support that whatsoever.

I will give it some points for only using 'cyber' once, but its otherwise garbage.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Goodpancakes posted:

I found a device I don't recognize just labelled as generic Android on my google account.

This is strange because I run KeePass and two stage verification. I haven't been to Grand Forks for months. Is this some error on googles account or did someone manage to sync my account? What would they get from a sync?

If they did how can I stop that from happening beyond what I am already doing, resetting a password, using keypass, and 2 stage. Annoyingly it doesn't let me remove access to that device like it would my phone.

Change your account password.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I believe changing your password automatically invalidates all tokens forcing a re-login.

This is correct.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Refresh This PC should be good enough for garden variety poo poo. Access it by holding down the shift key while clicking restart in the shutdown menu. Run malwarebytes and adwcleaner beforehand in safe mode (also accessible by shift-clicking restart) to make sure files left over from the process aren't infected. Of course, that's not going to catch everything, but it should be good enough. If the risk of possible re-infection is too greater in your mind than the loss of your data, then Reset This PC (again, shift-click) will restore to factory conditions.

If you want to be extra careful, you'll want to erase the drives completely using disk kill software like Dan's Boot and Nuke. Don't worry about doing DoD washes, a simple single-pass writing all zeroes is good enough to kill any malware that sits outside the file system somehow.

I'm not certain if DBAN or similar drive wiping techniques have adverse effects on SSDs. I heard they do once from someone but they mightve been talking out their rear end.

Reformat your drives.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Szmitten posted:

I have a question. Whenever I have a problem with the system, infection or otherwise, I find System Restore (rolling back a day/week/whatever) is extremely effective and way less destructive or long a process as formatting. Yet it's rarely an option talked about online. Am I being naive here?

Yes. Restore data can and often is modified by malware.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Squeegy posted:

This thread is neat and I've enjoyed reading it. It's also gotten me to tighten up some stuff. I have a few questions; OpenDNS seems to be widely recommended, but I've been using something called Simple DNSCrypt. Have you ever heard of it and is it worth using over OpenDNS? It encrypts your DNS traffic, which seems like it would help prevent MITM attacks, and hasn't had any noticeable downsides for me other than occasionally changing the server when things stop loading.

It also amuses me that all this time I've been feeling slightly nervous not having anything more than Malwarebytes to protect my computer I've actually been more secure not having an AV and simply browsing smart.

Unless your subsequent connections are over TLS DNS being secure doesn't really do anything. If they are over TLS then the security of DNS doesn't really matter short of a DoS.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Squeegy posted:

I use HTTPS Everywhere, if that's any help.

More https is always good but that doesn't do anything for sites that still in tyool 2016 support support TLS :(

Plus there's a lot of traffic coming off your device that isn't from your browser.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Squeegy posted:

The understanding I have from posts in this and other threads is that it's not useful because malware will be injecting into processes that normally have network activity, allowing them to fly under the radar disguised as those legit services.

Even if there's no injection generally by the time you try to kill it it's already done everything it wanted to do. It doesn't take long to set up a connection and exfil data.

But you might learn interesting things looking at all the apps and services sending data, so it's useful in that regard.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

BigFactory posted:

What's better security for a gmail account, 2 step verification where you need a password and a code, or using my phone to sign in where it asks for my fingerprint?

Is the phone sign in easy to spoof? Are they both easy to spoof?

Phone has a lot of benefits and is easier since you'll probably have your 2fa on that phone.

E: fingerprints aren't secrets

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Biometrics aren't secrets. :)

If I never go outside of my basement my face is totally a secret. Goons are secure!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Sort of a big ask.

Stop using ask

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

So, what options are there for if I wanted to back-up my smartphone, factory reset it, and then use it for travel, then when I return, re-download everything? Is there software that does this?

It seems like more and more it isn't exactly being tinfoil when most countries border crossings routinely mass download personal data off of smartphones, and since I don't really need access to my email or any other software (I just want to use my smartphone for Google maps, internet and texting when I travel).

Mobile phones' backup and restore is at the point where a factory reset + setup is generally pretty straight forward.

That said if your premise is to dodge things like "show me your social networks" factory reseting your phone is just going to accomplish pissing off the customs agent. Don't try and sovereign citizen around when border crossing.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Are there any security concerns from Android Pay in terms of further personal information being stored on the smartphone? Talking about the usual malware, viruses etc. that may target Android Pay as an app itself. This is more of my concern here, though the whole liability shift is good to know regarding tap or no tap (can we confirm that liability shift is the same here in Canada?).

I don't mean tinfoil levels of paranoia here about government or something, I just mean what happens if your app gets compromised with your cards on it?

Your phone is far more secure than your desktop, its fine really.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

Android Pay refuses to work if it detects* a rooted phone right?

* We don't have to get into the discussion on how workable that is.

Yes*.

pr0zac posted:

This. Unless you're running a rooted phone and installing a bunch of sketchy non-Play Store apps in which case stop doing that.

Then you're at worst the same as your desktop :)

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I'd figure it's about equal to a roll your own solution by an amateur.

You do you think makes the software for consumer networking hardware?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

Great. Here's the advice you should give: uninstall MalwareBytes because it's trash.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

buglord posted:

i know the answer to this, and most stuff is "its not as safe as you think so just practice good habits", but how safe is reckless internet browsing on something like Sandboxie?

Run an up to date browser, don't run flash (lol) or Java (even more lol) and you're almost certainly fine. Browser 0days are way more valuable than you.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

Don't most ISPs provide a security suite with internet service? I know the options in my area, AT&T and Cox, both include McAfee. I prefer not to let McAfee poo poo up my system, but considering the OP mentions "check if your school/work offers AV!" I think the OP should also mention checking with your ISP.

Don't run software from your ISP lol

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

judge a company by how they respond to vulnerabilities, not that they've existed at all in an evolving codebase

You absolutely should judge quality or nothing will ever get better. Patching is necessary but not sufficient.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

wait, are you saying all a virus has to do to evade detection is like in memory instead of writing itself to disk?

Or just not look like malware they already know, but yeah completely avoiding AV isn't hard.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

You can also map memory w+x, so it wouldn’t really help anyway.

I mean you could enforce W xor X

Giving a component of your system the ability to read the RAM of things is the best way to shoot good security practices in the face.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

even if DEP is set to 'always on', suitable calls to HeapCreate/VirtualAlloc will clear the NX bit so you can't really enforce it

I meant an OS could, I don't know or really pay attention to windows

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you failed to mention your android phone is jailbroken, so let's just give up on securing that - no random online people aren't where you get trustworthy firmware for the most critical secret storage a regular person has.

To expand Wiggly's point: you're going from having a large team of engineers protecting you to taking all the responsibility of making your device secure on yourself and to be blunt the post makes it clear you don't have those skills. We do.

You're being paranoid and utterly unrealistic as to how attacks or attackers work, you'd be safer if you weren't trying to be smart and missing the mark so hard.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

To make it easy, a mechanic or a nurse wouldn't respond like many (not all) IT-professionals do (various degrees of angry/insults/etc like in this thread), when asked politely about something related to their field of expertise. In my humble, anecdotal experience.
I wouldn't take the vast majority of IT professionals views on how to secure a device (fite me thread), because they're where a lot of the paranoid and non productive security advice comes from.

When I said to switch off custom ROMs its because I do OS security, and you've taken your security from people who do it for a living and put it all on yourself, and you're not a mechanic.

Fundamentally the view that you need to do extra things to make yourself secure is the problem, because you're not an expert and can't be expected to do so correctly, and in your attempts to do something you've made your situation worse.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Don’t forget a good VPN service like Nord so all the various trackers don’t catch wind of your Tijuana donkey show habit and then start spamming your ads with stuff like saddles.

Also if you’re on public WiFi, a VPN will tunnel your traffic so your poo poo isn’t plainly visible to anyone else on the network sniffing out packets.

And yes, encrypt your hdd as already advised.

I wouldn’t worry about backing it up to an external device before every flight unless you plan on taking the laptop as checked baggage and there’s stuff on there not backed up to the cloud or home server in some fashion. Free google drive or Dropbox or whatever should be sufficient for your travels.

Yeah because those VPN providers aren't selling that info themselves. C'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

SERPUS posted:

Anyone ever seen something like this in the router firewall logs?

code:
Description 	 			 	Count 		 Last Occurrence 	 	Target 			 Source 
DENY: Inbound or outbound access request	 3139205 	 Sun May 24 12:36:29 2020  	 73.146.11.201:34417 	 195.54.167.40:58522 
DENY: Inbound or outbound access request	 14166454 	 Sat Apr 25 16:57:52 2020  	 209.85.146.188:5228 	 10.0.0.4:61608 
I'm not sure how to address it, or even identify what's going on.

5228 is used by Google Play Services on Android devices for the push notification channel, do you have Android devices on the network? Blocking them is both going to gently caress with the phone and I'm not sure off hand the retry logic for that connection but I wouldn't be surprised if it loops rather tightly.