Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
What's a good method of integrating KeepassX with Linux? I've had a go at installing KeeFox: it required mono, so I did that and then it seemed unable to detect my KeepassX 2 instance. I've looked at PassIFox but it's incompatible with Firefox Sync, which is something I don't want to give up.

My KeepassX 2.0 vault is set up and imported from Lastpass, it's only the clunkyness that keeps me using Lastpass until I find a better alternative. I'm pretty annoyed at Lastpass for what they've done with the UI in version 4.0 and want to show my disgust by cancelling but I'm yet to find something as easy as Lastpass v3. They stated that being bought out by LogMeIn wouldn't change the service and already they're forcing an awful UI which doesn't work but looks "nicer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
1. It takes about 15 seconds to load on login (i5 laptop with SSD), possibly due to small thumbnails for each site having to load to make it look cuter.
2. Click on secure notes and then click again to see the list of secure notes=wasted click.
3. Generate secure password dialog displays with the bottom part obscured and no scrollbar to see the full range of options, making password generation only partially usable.

Top of my head, there.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

Khablam posted:

Did you have any luck using this to install regular KeePass under mono? That should leave you with the ported version of 2.x - from there you can try to install Keepasshttp and get a plugin working, or just use the auto-type to fill in forms.
PassIFox does work with sync, you just need to install it and import the keys before you enable sync.

Thanks for suggesting using Keepass rather than KeepassX. I'm having much more luck with regular Keepass running with mono in Fedora, using both plugins (Keepasshttp and PassIfox).

I just disconnected Firefox sync before installation and then reconnected once Keepass was set up. It's a pretty neat way of handling passwords, actually. Everything seems to be held in Keepass but Firefox thinks it is using its native password filler. Firefox is only being fed each password as and when it's required by whichever webpage I'm logging into. This can be checked by going to Firefox Preferences>Security>Saved Logins>Show Passwords. All of my passwords simply say "Stored in Keepass", so although Firefox thinks it has a couple of hundred passwords in there it actually has nothing until one is needed and then it's piped through from Keepass encrypted with AES. Logging into a site feels just like Firefox is doing it, because it essentially is!

I'll play around like this for a few days to see if there are any drawbacks but at the moment it looks like bye bye Lastpass.