Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Deegan posted:

After backing up my stuff I'm prepared to wipe the ssd system drive and the storage drive and reinstall windows 7. Should I then simply upgrade to Win 10 or is that another post for another time?

Just to address this specifically, if you are going to install Windows 10 then there is no reason to reinstall Windows 7 first. Download the Windows 10 installer and use your Windows 7 key - this has worked since the Fall refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bisse posted:

Looks like the windows license key doesn't support it. It's tied to Asus so only Asus Approved Shenanigans are allowed such as restoring from an earlier restore point, which worked for about 3 seconds before the chinese garbage-ware woke up from hibernation. So I would need to make it happen without a license key, not that that's not possible but I'll see if I can avoid it first.

Doing this is an excuse not to go christmas shopping in hell-on-earth outlet stores.

If you can find the license key then you should be able to do a nuke and pave and install Windows 10 using the old license key. Should there be data recovery necessary first boot the laptop with a live Linux CD/thumb drive, copy the material off, then do the reinstall.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bisse posted:

ASUS more like ASUCKS. Not sure if this means Win10 will fail with this key or not.

Trying Windows 10 is still worth a try - from what I've read people are still able to use Windows 7 keys to activate it even though the "free upgrade" ended. If not, this site mirrored all the Digital River Windows 7 ISOs before Microsoft closed it down, so you should be able to download a legit one from there:

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

This is bad advice, imo. Use a cloud solution.

My inclination would be to boot the machine to a non-Windows OS and copy the files off to physical media that way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe installing portable apps on a thumb drive might serve your travel purposes? Yeah, you'd still be stuck with using whatever computer you accessed, but at least you'd have persistent installs of applications that way. I've done this just to have access to LibreOffice on computers at the local university for those times I really don't want to have to hassle with Word.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I’m having a problem where other apps will open links in a new instance of Firefox, one without my settings saved. Not a new window, entirely different version.

Do you have more than one version of Firefox installed? If you deliberately launch Firefox and check settings, does it show Firefox as default? If you check About Firefox in each instance do they show different version numbers?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In terms of saving documents, it seems like worst-case you could access the drives using an operating system other than Windows, open them and save them in a different format (like .doc to .odf or whatever), and the risk would be minimal. I trust others will correct me if I'm wrong about that - it's just an off-the-top-of-my-head answer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I went back to the first page but the entry for password managers hasn't been updated in a long time.

What's the preferred cross-platform password manager nowadays? Would need to be Windows/Linux/Android capable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dolphin posted:

I'm not even sure it's the USB incompatibility, this computer just seems to extremely hate Windows 7. Nothing I did helped, just BSOD whether I tried safe mode, install disk, anything. Couldn't even get it to boot to repair mode so I could use the command prompt.

I think I've found an annoying but workable solution. I have a spare HD so I did a new Windows 10 install, from that install I'm imaging my Windows 7 install and I'm hoping I'll be able to then clean and format the SSD, install Windows 10 and then restore the Windows 7 image. I don't know how reliable the restore feature is in Windows 10 but I'm otherwise out of options.

The support page for that motherboard shows no drivers for Windows versions earlier than Windows 10. You're probably not going to be able to run Windows 7 on it except in a VM.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M-ITXac/index.asp#Download

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've recently done encryption with pro and the only time I know it's on is if you reinstall windows or update the bios you have to type your 100 digit key in.

Pulling it up on your phone and knowing how to use a numpad without looking helps greatly.

I just recently had to do that to resurrect an old tablet running Windows 10. Using the onscreen keyboard. Like 3 times because of how hosed the previous install was. :emo:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FWIW I used EaseUS to clone a drive a few years ago, and I recall it being fine. Did your system boot from the HDD you'd cloned in 2018? If you don't deliberately remove Windows from a cloned drive and just leave it hooked up then if the boot order changes or the SSD disappears then it will boot from the old drive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Absolutely, those are lower unicode numbers so the bit map of your passwords will be smaller

Make your password the same as your username and you save even more space.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

XYZAB posted:

*family tech support curse*

I'd strongly consider copying out whatever data they want/need from the machine, putting it on external media (and scanning the poo poo out of it), then nuke and pave, followed by a fresh install where they don't have the admin password, and install something like Teamviewer or use the built-in Windows remote assistance function in case they actually need to install something that isn't malware on their limited user accounts.

Or install Linux and skin it to look like Windows. They could even keep using Edge!

My parents are late 70s, early 80s, but luckily I haven't had to deal with anything like the level of crap you're describing here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My stepfather managed to get malware on his Mac, so even that isn't 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh yeah, don't use Norton anything.

When I worked tech support for an ISP in the mid-2000s I used to say that Norton Internet Security was an excellent product, because it kept its users safe by preventing them getting online in the first place.