Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
A 6 digit PIN? Really? Crack time per password for that is measured in microseconds. So if you have a 50-50 chance of dodging, either most ofyour other users have stronger passwords or you have a lot of users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Storm One posted:

Sure, but the point stands, unless you're confident that:

1) you'll never get confused about what and where the punctuation is, and

2) you'll never type your passphrase in a different locale than your current one (do you know where the comma and question mark keys are in a french keyboard layout?)

are both true, then you're better off rejecting any characters other than lowercase ASCII letters in your master password.

Re: #2 that is quite the self-threat model.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

my home lab is hilariously overengineered
Take that back. There's no such thing!

To your later post: I think one of the single best thing companies can do for their engineers is just give them a budget of a grand a year and say, "Go build random things and break them. Just not on our network tia."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Windows Defender, which is built into Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

My daughter (high school) had an assignment this week to spec out a PC build for a fictional graphic designer, and two of the items the teacher expected to see on the list were antivirus software (he recommended ESET) and malware removal software (MalwareBytes). I explained to my daughter that we are a Windows Defender house and that I would come and talk to the teacher if he objected. Some things are worth fighting for.

Graphic design, you say? Isn't the answer "use a Macbook"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Those are tools for use by parents to supervise children, but we want tools to supervise parents.

:ironicat: