Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Truga posted:

speaking of keepass, i'm using a bunch of triggers in keepass to sync my database to a ssh server, is this doable with keepassxc yet? i wanna get rid of the lovely mono app, but when i last checked keepassxc hasn't supported that on windows yet.

I love keepass and use the iOS and windows app: I sync it using one drive manually. I also keep the version I use in windows on a thumb drive for extra portability. I don’t trust browser plugins because I’m distrustful. I also don’t know of a good MacOS version though... is there a recent one that works on MacOS?

The encryption algo and one of the windows clients is open source right? I really hope they aren’t becoming evil :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

beuges posted:

I use MacPass on MacOS, looks and works very similar to the Windows version. All of the core KeepAss code is open source, it's just the 3rd party ports that aren't all open source. On my iPhone I use MiniKeePass, and iPad is KeePassium because for some reason MiniKeePass isn't available in my region any more. AFAIK MiniKeePass is the only one for iOS that's completely ad-free and doesn't have any upsells.

MacPass! Thanks! I’ll look for it.

That’s what I use as well on my phone, you made me remember: MiniKeePass on iOS

Seriously, set up your .kdbx file to sync on a OneDrive account or something and it’s easy to have your passwords anywhere. And once the app is open, it’s just a couple of clicks to copy and paste username and password to other apps and websites. I never found the small extra convenience of a browser plugin to be worth the extra worry.

My wife calls me for any of our passwords now... she knows how to get them herself if needs be, but I don’t mind :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

He’s not talking about modifying the file in any way. Just using the file bytes as the key

I have two very strong passwords that I need to remember. My onedrive password, and the password to my keepass vault file.

I am protected

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Hitchhikers page!

To add, I recently got my daughter a new laptop and it came with McAfee installed begging to buy a subscription. Groveling even.

In order to fully get rid of it, a McAfee technical support article(!) pointed to another piece of McAfee software you had to install in order to uninstall it since the uninstaller threw errors and didn’t work. On a brand new laptop…

So we said gently caress off and blew it all away, upgrading her to win11 pro at the same time.

If you work for McAfee you suck rear end. Sorry but I don’t make the rules
Lenovo should also be ashamed

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When you say you blew it all away, do you mean you formatted the drive and installed a bare Windows 11 install?

Also can you link the support article that advised an uninstaller because the regular uninstaller was hosed?

Any company that develops or deploys software like this should hang their heads in ropes.

I get why they did that though. Most people using computers these days don't know what a file extension is. The people that do know, know how to enable it in settings.

formatted the drive and re-installed Windows

Support article... note the "IMPORTANT" tag that says that you *MUST* activate your subscription before you can remove the software. Yeah, gently caress you Mcafee
https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

super sweet best pal posted:

What should I be using on Linux to check if it's time to wipe and reinstall?

CatHorse posted:

Check if you are using Linux.

uname