Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
I'm a bit surprised at how little pihole has been mentioned in this thread.
I mean, I get that having firewall type security from the outside is important, as well as browsers blocking things. But it seems that these days most vulnerabilities stem from user-originated requests.
I've been using it on my private net for about a year now, and it's been amazing. Since I use my own dnsmasq service, backed with pihole, the clients (wired, wireless, android, windows, mac, whatever) don't have to block anything. They just can't resolve malicious IPs.
If that's not an elegant solution, I don't know what is. Granted, it's not perfect since it's kept up to date with a blackhole list.
But I do love seeing those no-DNS X's on youtube ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
I think it depends on your perspective. If you're just using a web browser, then AV is pretty much obsolete.
Most browsers now will balk at the idea of going to a "risky" site.

Before that I personally just used common sense, and when a website looked fishy, I avoided it. Also never click on pop-ups.
I haven't gotten a Windows virus in the 30 years I've been using it.
It really is just down to the end user.

Granted, in corporate shops, many end users can be affected by a security breach. But in my experience 99% of corporate virus issues begin with end users.

AV probably still has a place in large-scale file upload scenarios.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Yep and as far as I'm concerned, the internet lost its ad privileges the day I got hit with that.

so before that you were all "YES ADVERTISE AT ME ALL THE TIME ON ALL WEBSITES!!"

I find that a bit hard to believe