Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

These questions are about the nature of Cloud more than your original questions about VPNs but I'll give a whack at it.

If you just need a generic computer somewhere, it doesn't matter what they server is billed as. If it's a computer that you can fully access and utilize the OS, including software installation and root/admin access. If you have those things you can pretty much do whatever you want on the VM. You can install all kinds of poo poo on a seedbox, or a cloud VM, or a VPS, or anything else. It's just a computer running on someone else's hardware that you rent.

This should answer both of your questions, but just to make sure you understand the context, the benefit of Cloud is in 3 things:

• You can spin up services and have them online at all times without having to deal with a colo or a datacenter, and you get ungodly uptime garuntees while doing so.
  • Cloud allows you to utilize "aaS" as a service functionality where you can share resources with other customers like you on platforms that are much more powerful than you alone could purchase. Things like SQLaaS, Azure's Azure AD (which is basically LDAPaaS), DNSaaS, etc. Basically anything in IT has been provided as a service in which you don't have admin access, but only user access on overwhelming large hardware.
  • Everything in the cloud can be setup, configured, managed, and accessed by an API. This is the real benefit of Cloud. It allows for DevOps to be a thing, and you can quickly and repeatably build parts of your infrastructure to meet your needs. Cloud jobs do not have some guy poking into the cloud console to set up VMs manually, he uses Terraform or Ansible to call those APIs and it does it for him. If you want to learn about cloud, start here. Everything else is just IT.

I have a bunch of poo poo in GCP, because GCP has a very not well known "Always Free" tier of services that I can run websites on. I found some Ansible projects to set up a webserver and even copy my lovely website code to them automagically, which means I only have to worry about DNS and everything's running.

Since you were asking about VPN, take a look at Algo and how it functions: https://github.com/trailofbits/algo
It will set up a VM in the cloud and install all the software necessary to make it work. When I travel overseas I usually set one up in the GCP Free Tier to access US netflix, and the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Despite what Lowtax and countless Youtubers will tell you, VPNs do not provide privacy or security in any way. The Tom Scott video linked above covers that pretty well. Seriously, watch this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY

What provides privacy are browser extensions and other poo poo (pihole, etc) that block cookies that identify who you are to advertisers and the websites you visit. Like Truga said, VPNs just shift your outbound public IP address from wherever you are to their IP.

You want privacy? Here's a pihole project you can run in GCP that includes VPN: https://github.com/rajannpatel/Pi-Hole-on-Google-Compute-Engine-Free-Tier-with-Full-Tunnel-and-Split-Tunnel-Wireguard-VPN-Configs

Used to be an Ansible thingy for this but I can't find it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They've had data breaches in the past. Here's an article on one from 2019: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/04/17/microsoft-confirms-outlook-com-and-hotmail-accounts-were-breached/

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've actually gone as far as giving my family piholes that block 99% of this stuff and my family computer support calls have gone down to nothing. They're not being targeted, it's just drive by bullshit that they're not smart enough to not click.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They all use the same hash sets to find stuff