Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eikre posted:

If you are going to put your keepass database in OneDrive, set Keepass to work out of a local non-synced copy and set a macro to mirror it to the synced copy when you actually make a modification.

OneDrive has trouble working around the database being in use, which it is even when keepass is locked, and it'll gently caress up and fail to sync other files or duplicate the database a bunch of times.

KeePass.db
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(1)
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(2)
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(3)
KeePass.db-COMPUTERNAME(4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pretty sure vista won’t boot if you do that.

May not be a concern, but something to be aware of.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like 1Password and use it for work and personal.

BitWarden has been picking up in popularity and has self hosting options, but I’ve never used it myself.

KeePass is the grognard option.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Don't use classic KeePass anymore. If you want KeePass use the KeePassXC fork instead.

This is one example of why I said it’s the grognard option

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lot of words to say “use 1Password”

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

What's a good virus scan now? When I leave my computer on overnight I see new tabs opened in the web browser and I'm trying to figure it out.

To answer your question, Windows Defender.

The actual solution to your problem is to re-image your computer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, the first sentence isn’t wrong. But it is an argument for MFA and password-less authentication, not throwing security out the window.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

most consumer external drives have a built in encryption tool, some even do it in hardware

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/encrypted-hard-drives

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

this site is impossible to use for me because I use a different vanity email address for almost every website

Using Gmail+ addresses, or your own domain?

If the later, you can sign up for alerts if any of your addresses are popped.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also, if you pay for 1Password, the watchtower feature will automatically alert you if any of your accounts that are stored are popped

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

zaepg posted:

What's the consensus on using browsers to store passwords? Is it safe?

They’ve definitely improved but I still wouldn’t use one outside of safari on an Apple device ( because keychain ) and would otherwise just prefer to use a dedicated password manager.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

Okay excellent I can file that one as outdated. Updated question:

Okay so actually for real what does using a VPN do? I've yet to hear a compelling argument in their favour beyond the commercial ones that let you watch US Netflix

VPNs are most commonly used by businesses to allow a remote worker secure access to network resources at the office.

They’re slowly falling out of favor as things move more towards saas and zero trust models.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The bitwarden mobile apps support connecting to your self-hosted instance, if thats what you're asking.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think there was a period of time in the early/mid 00's that any website that served ads at all had a risk of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the hide extensions by default thing was in XP, may have been in 98