Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I have a question regarding network security, and in particular, outbound (egress) filtering.

I was always under the understanding that when a client (for example, a web browser) initiates the connection on a 'random' outgoing port to the server's incoming port (in this case, port 80 or 443). I always thought it would be difficult to filter an outbound connection because of the fact that the outbound connection is established on a random (I believe the term is 'ephemeral') port, the only solution would be to restrict outbound connections to the range of ephemeral ports, usually defined by the OS. Is there an effective way to filter outbound connections based on this information, and if so, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

spankmeister posted:

What do you mean exactly? It's perfectly doable to filter outgoing connections on destination port. What are you trying to achieve?

Ah, that makes perfect sense, thanks.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I guess my problem was that I did not understand the difference between stateful and stateless filtering. Stateless does not explicitly allow return traffic so you *do* have to worry about ephemeral ports. I guess stateless is more useful for governing traffic between subnets, and stateful is more applicable on traffic between groups of individual hosts/instances.