Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OSI bean dip posted:

Always assume that if your laptop or phone gets stolen that it is lost forever and that having it encrypted is the safest thing to do to ensure that at worst you're out a grand or two. I really do suggest going down this road as it'll at least not make you worry about what was on there.

As for safeguarding your Internet access, this one is a bit tricky as it depends on your skillset. Many people will automatically jump at suggesting a VPN service but I am always hesitant to do so. Are you travelling on business or is this personal? What's your computer skill level? Can you use SSH?

I have OpenVPN to my home router for use on work/public WiFi. Any concerns there I should be thinking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

What thoughts do people have on DD-WRT? I've been wanting to replace my modem as my edge device for a while now and this seems like the cost effective thing to do until I can actually afford an ASA. I don't see any obvious red flags and I like the look of the functionality but a second opinion would be highly appreciated.

I've been using it for 11 years. never seen anything skeev. highly recommend.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Until the end of July you can grab a Win7 Pro OEM key off ebay for about the price of a coffee and muffin, and use it to give yourself a digital entitlement to Windows 10 Pro.

I don't eBay, can you link to something legit?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

You know, most of EMET is baked into 10, albeit without the granular controls. Also, how to you justify "DEATH TO THIRD PARTY AV, but not THAT third-party AV!"? (As Defender was originally from Giant Software if I remember correctly)

this is a valid query because in the twelve years Microsoft has has the product, they certainly didn't ever change the internals

especially not when they rewrote the entire core in 2006

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how does a router cause popups when you're only typing in the address bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It's not a pop up.

Poor phrasing on my part.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It never happens on its own, only after I begin typing into the address bar.

Your browser auto-navigating when you begin typing does not sound like a router problem.