Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Welcome to the "Your Operating System has Poor Operational Security" thread. This is a guide written by those who have a clue about computer security for those who may not. However, we don't want to sugar coat things here and you must bear in mind that there are certain realities to the problems you face.

Rule of thumb to consider in this thread: you are your own worst adversary. Chances are that a mistake of yours is going to lead to a problem on your computer. Keep this in mind at all times.

Another thing: have backups and keep them up to date. This isn't going to be covered in the thread in terms of what is best, but ensure your backups are safe and are accessible in the event of a problem.

Please do ask questions in here regardless of what you think the response may be--any good questions may just get added to the OP in this thread. If you want to offer help, please do but bear in mind at the same time that you may be called out on any bad advice.

This guide is not perfect and will be changed and added to as time goes on. If you wish to contribute, respond what you want to add and I'll see about adding.

Let me open up by telling you that anti-virus is by far a dead technology and should never be your only line of defence against protecting you from malware. Back in the days of bulletin boards and floppy disks, anti-virus worked because it was able to keep up with emerging threats as the sophistication of spreading was limited to so few vectors. However, as time had passed and new attack vectors formed, anti-virus began to lag behind--regardless of what the industry tells you.

All anti-virus products at their core operate the same and how they all update is as well. Anti-virus typically relies on signatures to know what is potentially malicious from what is not. However, this is its biggest flaw as those signatures can easily be thwarted by malware creators. As such, a determined attacker can easily create 2,000 different copies (in a single day no less) of the same malicious software and that may require the anti-virus vendor to create multiple signatures in order to successfully thwart it. The vendors know this and last year, Symantec admitted that at best they detect up to 45% of threats although there are suggestions that catching any new threats is at best 5% successful.

This is all on the backs of the AV industry's claims of having 'superb' features like suspicious behaviour detection and math-based anti-malware techniques--none of this really has made a dent in stemming the tide.

Don't let sites and organisations like AV-Test, Gartner, and whoever suggest that vendor X has the advantage over others. Their methodology either relies on being paid to be put in some "magic quadrant" (Gartner) which allows CIOs et al to just rubber stamp their choices or testing "real world" situations that otherwise are far from such.

What you need to consider besides common sense (most infections are the fault of users) is that there are other solutions besides anti-virus. These include simple things like network settings, popup and ad blockers, and keeping your system and browsers up to date.

I hope that this explanation lets you know of the problem this section has in terms of protecting your computer using anti-virus software alone, but let's move on. No particular anti-virus engine is going to be recommended here but there will be links to what is available.

Which anti-virus product should I use?

Keeping in mind what was said before, there are plenty of options both paid and free that will allow you to get an anti-virus product installed on your machine.

Here's a tip: are you a student or work at a large company? There is a good chance that your company's or school's AV licence will permit end-users to have a 'home-use' version installed for home. They may require some configuration locally (such as an updating source provided by the licence holder) and usually there is no direct support. If you know who the vendor is then it may be best to consult their knowledgebase or whoever is in charge of running it.

The advantage of using a larger company for anti-virus software is that you have access to definitions that are sourced from a wider surface area. Most anti-virus vendors primarily rely on a combination of honeypots and customer submissions which means that there's a good chance the bigger guys have better coverage.

If you're not looking to purchase anti-virus software, there are plenty of free options that will allow you to have some coverage on your machine. It is recommended that you stick with Microsoft for your anti-virus as it is built-in with recent versions of Windows.

Don't spend money on anti-virus if you can help it; it is not worth any amount of money.

Does anti-virus cause performance issues?

All anti-virus products are equal but some more are more equal than others.

It really boils down to two factors: how the engine is coded and what settings are configured.

The settings part is easy to deal with: you need to know what you plan to do with your machine. If you play games, then set your anti-virus scanner to only scan on read. If this is a file server, then set the scanner to scan on write. For general purpose it doesn't hurt to set it to scan on read and write. You can also set up your scanner to scan on rename too, but it is likely worthless.

Avoid whitelisting wherever you can. There have been cases where malware were able to read the configurations of anti-virus suites and then just left itself in whatever directory.

I have an infection that anti-virus didn't catch. What can I do?

Remember what was said earlier: 95% of all infections is user fault; this is an opportunity to learn here.

Firstly, unplug the computer from the network. This is so just in case the machine is not under your control that any remote access is cut off.

Secondly, you'll want to evaluate what action you'll want to take. If you believe that the infection is something minor like fake anti-virus or something that is creating popups, perhaps you should just do an offline scan of the machine. However, if the machine is severely infected where you are not sure what is going on, are you going to continue to trust that machine with details like your online banking, e-mails, and perhaps your SA forum account? If no, consider a wipe and restore here.

If you do choose to do a scan, keep in mind that the scan may not necessarily remove the infection and thus you may need to consider my closing point in the last paragraph.

The best advice is to do a completely offline scan. One option is from Sophos, as they provide a bootable solution that dynamically creates an ISO containing the most up-to-date definitions. The ISO created tends to support most environments but if you're in a situation where you have a RAID setup or some other atypical hardware configuration, the disc may not be for you.

If you need to do an offline scan with the OS active, consider something like Stinger (McAfee) or Malwarebytes.

But again, your machine is now compromised and unless you know what the state was of the machine before the infection occurred (not before you were aware of it), you cannot put any trust into it after attempting remediation.

Enough about anti-virus, what is this network stuff you mentioned earlier?

This is the one thing you can do without much work and is practically OS agnostic: change your DNS from what your ISP offers to something else. This is a really simple and usually free way to have protection from websites that may be otherwise malicious.

The most popular service is OpenDNS, but there are also services from Norton and Comodo. Keep in mind that this may introduce ads if you have DNS failures and that you could have issues with CDNs, but it does the trick.

What can I do to protect myself from exploits?

Nothing is sure-fire for protecting yourself from exploits. Going back to anti-virus vendors, they'll claim that they'll detect suspicious behaviour and have some level of exploit mitigation, but overall they fail.

If you're using Windows, you may want to consider the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET). It's tasked with blocking or at least mitigating common software exploits. It can be used to protect older software that predates EMET as well, but it's again not sure-fire.

It's worth having on your system and any performance impact would be minor at best.

What about using popup and ad blockers?

Install uBlock Origin or uBlock, both of which do the same thing. The latter has Safari support.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Full disk encryption (FDE) is really the best anti-theft mechanism you can get for your machine. It won't necessarily prevent your device from being stolen or from an attacker reading your data while you're using your computer, but it will make it a pain in the rear end if not nigh-impossible to read anything if the drive is removed or read from an alternate boot source. Most operating systems that have been released in the past few years have it built in natively, which means that you likely don't have to shop around.

As of this writing, the following is an incomplete list of mainstream operating systems that have built-in FDE:
  • Mac OS X (FileVault) - Introduced in 10.7, originally just home directory in 10.3
  • Windows Vista/7/8/10 (BitLocker) - Only available in Vista and 7's Ultimate and Enterprise editions, Professional and Enterprise for Windows 8 and 10
  • Linux (dm-crypt) - Available with most major distributions
  • Android
More details on the above will be added as time goes on.

Where's Truecrypt on this list?

It should be noted that TrueCrypt is no longer in development, as the nameless developer left a parting message that the software is likely insecure and shouldn't be used. Said developer yanked all of their code from the website and left a tool to decrypt any volumes--the source code was also removed from the website although people had mirrored previous releases and as a result we now have forks.

An audit of the source code had begun before the developer discontinued development and while flaws were found, there was no evidence of wrongdoing such as backdoors nor were these problems unfixable.

Having said that, there have been two notable bugs since the audit that were missed because the audit itself focused on the cryptography and not other aspects of the application. Using TrueCrypt (or its forks, CipherShed and VeraCrypt for example) in light of the original developer's statement and the bugs found since the audit cannot be recommended.

There is no support for Windows 8 or later with TrueCrypt either.

OS X and Windows are closed source and thus cannot have their cryptography audited. What about that?

If this is your concern, then why are you even using these two operating systems? There are more attack vectors than the FDE and backdoors can be inserted elsewhere if this is what you're concerned about.

Should the above not satisfy you, then consider using Linux with dm-crypt and then run whatever in VirtualBox.

Should that suggestion not be of help, then this thread is not for you.

What about single/multiple file encryption?

Use 7-Zip.

The reason for this suggestion is that it works great if you're just trying to send files to other individuals as it uses AES to encrypt the files and you can also encrypt the filenames within to ensure no leakage of metadata--provided you use the 7z format. Because of its simplicity, you can send files to someone who's not very adept at using a computer and all you have to do is get them to install 7-Zip and then let them know of the password.

It should be noted that its cryptography has yet to be audited but for the time-being it works.

More to come...

Firewalls more often than not work like this:

If you're interested in knowing what process is connecting outbound, there is LitttleSnitch for OS X ($40 USD, sometimes cheaper as I got my copy for $23) or you could try Netlimiter for Windows--I do not endorse either application but LittleSnitch has been useful for testing things. However, these applications assume that you know what you're looking to permit and do not actually do much more than give you a confirm/deny for where a process is connecting.

Other than that, an endpoint software firewall is more often than not useless. They're much easier to disable locally than anti-virus in some ways and really just provide a blinky icon in your system tray.

At least for Windows' built-in firewall, configure it so it denies all inbound traffic regardless of what network you are on and only enable inbound ports if absolutely necessary.

However, you more likely than not have a firewall in front of your network connection. Here are some things you should consider:

• Disable UPNP - UPNP is garbage and is only there to make it so you can have devices that use it expose services to the Internet. If you have a NAS, a BitTorrent client, or even some media players, they do often have features that allow you to remotely access data or control devices with little to zero configuration on your end. Disable that nonsense and if you need to make it so a service is available on your public-facing Internet connection, configure NAT manually. For your :filez: needs, set BitTorrent to use a static port and do not do anything else.
  • If you need to access inbound services, use SSH and nothing else - SSH has more features than a remote shell as it allows for file transfers and port forwarding via a Socks proxy. If you have a device you want to control like a camera or something, buy yourself a Raspberry Pi for $35, install Ubuntu, configure SSH and private keys, and then use an SSH client with dynamic port forwarding. Once that is done, all you need to do is connect from your non-home machine to your home Internet connection with an SSH client and then configure a local proxy to use the configuration you have created. Once that is done, you can then point your browser to whatever home device. Using SSH keys and disabling password access to the SSH server is relatively secure and you can add a password to your SSH key for an extra layer of security.
  • Avoid using stock firmware on your router - if you have a router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato, install it. These replacement firmware are more likely to have bug fixes that your manufacturer has yet to install.
  • Make sure that admin access is disabled from the Internet - regardless of the service (HTTP, SSH, whatever), make sure it is not Internet accessible. These things should only be reachable internally.

I'll add some more later on...

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 11, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

There are a couple of solutions for password management, all of which can be done without spending any money. There are two products I can personally vouch for:

• 1Password
  • KeePass

1Password is available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android--no version for Linux exists but there are tools to decrypt the password file--it has been noted that the application works fine under Wine. It also costs $50 USD for a single platform or $70 for a Windows/Mac licence. Keep in mind that if you have an older copy of 1Password, you'll want to ensure that you are using the most recent file format as there are substantial security issues with the older format.

KeePass (professional version to be exact) is available for a bunch of platforms, with the general release being written in .NET/Mono. If you're using OS X, it is suggested that you use MacPass, which is native to OS X.

In both cases, you can safely synchronise the file using a variety of services including OneDrive, Dropbox, and other cloud-hosting services. In KeePass' case, I can tell you that it will know when you write to the file elsewhere, allowing it to synchronise at your request--MacPass does not do this as of this writing.

It is not suggested to use LastPass as there have been constant problems with them keeping internal security at bay and a vulnerability in the past that resulted in exposure of passwords.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Crack posted:

OK I have a few opinions. First of all, please don't use chrome because gently caress google. Same goes for google search (you can use an anonymising service like startpage or disconnect) gmail, google docs, google analytics (can you even still block this?). At the least delete emails not "archive" them, if you think you might wish to view it later download via a secure protocol to an email client, and backup. Noscript is great!

Also turn your phone off when you aren't using it, better yet remove the battery. Not only will you be saving yourself from cancer but I'm sure everyone has heard of the stingray by now. I also use D-VASIVE which disables the mic etc if I'm not using that functions. Finally, please get RedPhone, TextSecure, Signal, w/e, and advise your friends to do the same. More adoption of this tech is better for everyone, it's Snowden approved and from a couple talks I watched of his Moxie is p much top of the game right now and appears to be doing it for the right reasons. Related to that, don't trust SSL (padlock) as implemented right now. And pgp isn't great.

Please don't use dropbox. Or Hola. If something is free, how do the developers profit and maintain servers? Same goes for pirated content - in this case though I'm not talking about the dev behind the content but the dev that's put some sneaky code into that pdf of some esoteric magazine or whatever where it's fairly unlikely there have been enough downloads / educated users to leave a warning that you've been owned.

If you're still using WEP it might be time to consider suicide, but WPA is vulnerable too now because Moxie has generously offered WPA/WPA2 cracking as a cloud service for 30 dollars or something, you get results in 20 mins or 40 iirc (if vulnerable).

If your housemates are idiots it might be a good idea to disable all incoming / outgoing connections on your router because if you are reading this thread you quite possibly already have malware and aren't the best educated on it. Oh and if you are paying rental for some plastic poo poo your isp provides (with a modem too!) try and return it and invest in an actual router.

(disclaimer: I'm no security expert but i love my :tinfoil: hat, and I think information security is equally or even more important for many people than pure focus of viruses etc)

This stuff will be addressed in the OP(s) so don't worry. I just needed to get the AV part out of the way since there's a lot of misinformation floating about.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Mo_Steel posted:

Using a password manager is good advice. Any recommendations? I've been using KeePass for ages, but seeing as I am not a security expert I'd be welcome to suggestions for alternatives.

Keepass is the one I do recommend. The one catch is that the application is written using .NET so when you run it under Linux or Mac OS X, there's all sorts of headaches that come with it. At least on the Mac there is MacPass which makes use of the native Cocoa libraries.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Could you elaborate on this? What's bad about uBlock and/or better about uBlock Origin? I never understood the fork, but both are being actively developed right now.

I am going to change this once I have a few minutes to change the post and add a few extra things, but to be honest there is no difference except one has a Safari port.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Just use Keepass.

I cleaned up the post a bit and will add another section later this week. I'll also include links to actual products this time around.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Erwin posted:

Out of curiosity, why not Google DNS? Obviously I'm giving Google statistics on what domain names I'm resolving, but let's say I don't care?

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro

quote:

Google Public DNS is a recursive DNS resolver, similar to other publicly available services. We think it provides many benefits, including improved security, fast performance, and more valid results. See below for an overview of the technical enhancements we've implemented.

[...]

A malware-blocking service. Google Public DNS rarely performs blocking or filtering, though it may if we believe this is necessary to protect our users from security threats. In such extraordinary cases, it simply fails to answer; it does not create modified results.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

gay picnic defence posted:

Might be a silly question but what is the best way to get rid of persistent malware/adware?

I've got rid of most of the problem after running adwcleaner and Malwarebytes, reseting Chrome, and uninstalling a few unwanted programs but I can't seem to stop chrome loading 'feed.helperbar.com/etc etc' and snapdo search as the home page (but only when I open Chrome for the first time, new tabs are fine). I've gone through the extensions and settings for Chrome, can't find anything there that isn't meant to be there. Internet Explorer doesn't have this issue when I open it.

Here's the thing that is covered in the OP: if you cannot get rid of it through normal means do you think that you'll be able to get rid of it at all?

Does this problem persist across multiple sessions? Does it happen in incognito mode? What happens if you change your Google account?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

gay picnic defence posted:

Well thanks for mentioning the incognito mode, I went to try it and the option wasn't there when I right clicked the Chrome icon. I though that was a bit odd so I reinstalled Chrome and the home page is what it was supposed to be again. I guess the icon was corrupted or something, if so its a bit annoying that multiple scans with malware detectors couldn't find it.

You shouldn't trust your computer FYI.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any virus that formatting and reinstalling Windows doesn't get rid of?

https://blog.kaspersky.com/equation-hdd-malware/

There are reasons why I poo poo all over anti-virus and malware re-mediation steps in the OP. One being the link I just posted and the other being that I used to work for an AV vendor.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus, that's frightening. The vast majority of the time I can expect a format to take care of things though, right? People I know tend to ask me to sort their computers out when they muck them up, my default action is to format their machines.

Yes. In general, most reformatting and destroying of bootsectors (this part is important) will weed out a large chunk of malware you'll encounter. It does not mean that it's 100% effective but it should be sufficient in most cases.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Relin posted:

Anyone have experience with this (Is this legit?) https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/ It doesn't seem popular. I'm having a minor freakout about malware bundled with sourceforge programs (that I just found out about) and want to make sure as best I can.

No matter what tool you use (CCleaner or whatever that thing is), you're never going to know for certain what was left behind so as a result it doesn't really matter how effective it is. What got installed on your system?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Relin posted:

I don't think anything, honestly. This is the level of awareness I'm at. AFAIK I have only used the legit download links (not the trick ones), plus I use noscript+ ABP (with a uni mcafee sub), but the row between GIMP and sourceforge was bothering me.

I do suggest asking questions after reading the OP as you should be able to come to a conclusion on what to do. If something is missing I'll edit it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ArgaWarga posted:

Odd question: I bought a ThinkPad T450s and decided what the hell, I'll spring for the fingerprint scanner. Are there any password managers that will use it, or is it strictly Lenovo proprietary? Just curious, great thread, really useful information.

Fingerprint readers are garbage and shouldn't be used with managing passwords--and they don't work very well so don't bother. If you're paranoid about your passwords, use this:

http://keepass.info/help/kb/yubikey.html

The key is $25 each.

If that doesn't work, make sure to just use a strong passphrase that is strictly for that KeePass file (or whatever password manager you use) and nowhere else.

Do not use LastPass.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I genuinely can't wait to see the op completed. I recently got a new hard drive an did a fresh I install of windows and made sure I had everything up to standard but it looks like some of my knowledge was out of date. So I replaced a few things I used previously with the new suggestions.

So the last area I need to secure further would be password security. What are the general suggestions for that? I don't use the same password for anything and have a password manager but I am sure there are newer, or at least better ways than I have currently. I ask because I was using lastpass in the past because it was so easy to use with chrome addons but I am aware of the security risks that it carries and want to move to something better.

OP update is still in the works. Blame work, DEFCON, and my personal project. I can easily answer questions however. I do have some help from others on the OP too.

To be honest, let your password manager generate the passwords. A while back I was using my own tool to generate the passwords in the event I ever have to manually type them in, but it's getting less and less common for me to have to do so.

I recommend using KeePass as a solution followed by 1Password should it not meet your requirements. KeePass is multi-platform, free, and it's pretty easy to synchronise the file using any file sharing service (Dropbox, Box, OwnCloud, whatever). The Android and iOS versions of the application work great and I have never had issues with the file getting corrupted, et cetera. I use KeePass across Windows, OS X, Linux, and Android with no problems--although on OS X I do recommend MacPass as it is a native application and doesn't rely on Mono.

LastPass is complete garbage and the reason for that is that it is entirely cloud-dependent with some exception and the developers cannot seem to get its poo poo straight. KeePass does have some limitations as its browser integration is flakey, but I do suggest using it over LastPass as if you can keep the file secure, then you know you're okay. Keeping the file secure really primarily consists of not having a lovely password for the file to begin with (don't reuse it and make sure it cannot be generated easily) as a primary and then keeping the file away from others as as secondary.

1Password gets a mention as it is as good as KeePass except that it does cost money.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

froward posted:

Thank you for taking the time to do this; it's rare that people have free time AND post on forums AND aren't shitheads. bless & double bless, friend.

Not a problem. :)

ThermoPhysical posted:

A friend of mine uses the Panda antivirus which is some kind of cloud-based thing. Anyone know anything about it?

Read the OP on anti-virus before you ask this question again.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, I read it twice before asking and it says nothing about cloud-based AVs or if they're even worth anything. Basically it starts out how antivirus programs are outdated and not worth buying and then some settings for traditional AVs that arent cloud-based.

I wanted to know if anyone's tried Panda and seeing if it's worth it. Maybe put something about cloud-based AVs in the OP?

Please tell me how cloud-based anti-virus is different from traditional anti-virus.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

I guess it's better for this HP Stream I have (with a 16GB drive).

http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

LIGHT

Panda Antivirus protects while you browse, play or work online, and you won´t even notice it's there.

It is extremely light as all the work is done in the cloud.

EASY

This is a truly 'install and forget' solution.

You won't have to worry about updates, or complex settings and decisions ever again. It works for you.

SECURE

It delivers maximum and fast protection against the latest viruses, thanks to cloud-scanning from the Collective Intelligence servers.

There's no need for massive signature files on your PC or daily updates.

You've absolutely managed to avoid answering my question. That isn't any different from traditional AV other than it uses ~*~:yayclod: the cloud :yayclod:~*~.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Carthoris posted:

Can you elaborate on the reasoning for this? Any theoretical vulnerabilities with LastPass? Assuming you have a strong pass-phrase that isn't used anywhere else and use TFA what is wrong with LastPass that local password management like KeePass solves?

I understand that ideally you would want an attacker to need access to your password database and that you can control that if you don't hand it to a third party but if you aren't dealing with a nation state level attacker I don't see how they are going to get through AES-256 with a 30 character passphrase and TFA. Keepass alone without more stringent browser security isn't going to keep you from entering you password on a XSS compromised page while LastPass has that functionality built in.

* For the sake of argument lets say that an attacker can pwn your personal computer just as easily as they can pwn LastPass's server so they have access to your password DB either way. If we go from that assumption what advantages does KeePass have over LastPass in terms of security?

Constant incompetence:

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

quote:

We want to notify our community that on Friday, our team discovered and blocked suspicious activity on our network. In our investigation, we have found no evidence that encrypted user vault data was taken, nor that LastPass user accounts were accessed. The investigation has shown, however, that LastPass account email addresses, password reminders, server per user salts, and authentication hashes were compromised.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/07/severe-password-manager-attacks-steal-digital-keys-and-data-en-masse/

quote:

The most serious of the defects was uncovered in LastPass, a manager that had at least one million users as of 2011. A bug in a "bookmarklet" feature used to automatically enter passwords into websites made it possible for malicious code planted on one site to steal credentials for other sites. An attacker might exploit the vulnerability by compromising a site a user was using LastPass to access. As soon as the user clicked on the bookmarklet, the attacker could surreptitiously steal plaintext passwords belonging to other sites that were also secured by LastPass.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2011/05/lastpass-security-notification.html/

quote:

We noticed an issue yesterday and wanted to alert you to it. As a precaution, we’re also forcing you to change your master password.

We take a close look at our logs and try to explain every anomaly we see. Tuesday morning we saw a network traffic anomaly for a few minutes from one of our non-critical machines. These happen occasionally, and we typically identify them as an employee or an automated script.

In this case, we couldn’t find that root cause. After delving into the anomaly we found a similar but smaller matching traffic anomaly from one of our databases in the opposite direction (more traffic was sent from the database compared to what was received on the server). Because we can’t account for this anomaly either, we’re going to be paranoid and assume the worst: that the data we stored in the database was somehow accessed. We know roughly the amount of data transfered and that it’s big enough to have transfered people’s email addresses, the server salt and their salted password hashes from the database. We also know that the amount of data taken isn’t remotely enough to have pulled many users encrypted data blobs.

It isn't so much that the application itself could be compromised but the LastPass guys are reckless with their own internal security--two breaches in five years and one vulnerability are the ones I can recall right this moment.

There are theoretical attacks on the service but none have yet to surface.

I cannot at all recommend their service.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Crankit posted:

Any advice for momputing? I've got a mom with a 'puter and she's not good at internet, what do I do that makes her less likely to get malwares.

Thanps I'll try that out!

To be honest, in your situation, just install any AV and hope that she never gets the machine compromised.

For people who are computer-illiterate, I've been recommending that people just simply get tablets (iPads if you can help it) or Chromebooks if you know that they'll be fine with that. If they've already bought a computer, then just protect it with AV and ensure that it automatically installs updates. Additionally, keep them away from any admin account and just offer to install applications for them.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

The Meat Dimension posted:

Hello thread there's a dude who called my mother one time about her computer security and now he can remote into her computer. Wrote him out a personal check and sent it in the mail. Apparently he has some kind of "security" thing with Microsoft. This sounds sketch as gently caress right?

Am I in the right place?

That sounds sketchy as hell. Was this cheque written recently?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Made an update to the OP regarding password managers.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Geemer posted:

Serious question: Why is everyone so convinced using a password manager is a good idea? To me it just seems like putting all your eggs in one basket.
Secondary question: Other than syncing across devices, what good are they over in-browser password storage? I never use it for similar reasons, and doesn't stuff like Firefox Sync or its Chrome counterpart that I am sure exists also do the trick?

It doesn't matter how complex your password for the meatspin.com forums is if someone can get to your password vault. Especially when that's protected by a password you're supposed to remember yourself instead of letting the computer generate a hash of correct horse battery staple.
Yes, I know your password vault will not be stored on the sites you use it for, but you should be using unique passwords anyway*.

*I use unique passwords for important stuff, throwaway accounts for things I don't care about are just that.

I think you answered your own question without realising it.

Yes. Putting all of your passwords into a password manager can produce a risk, but having all of your accounts with the same password is a far greater risk than if you keep randomly generated passwords for each of them. The trick is to ensure that you don't make use of the password for your password manager anywhere else. There are other ways to protect your password file (specifically KeePass here) using things like keyfiles or YubiKey.

If you use a poo poo password for your password manager then you're going to have a greater concern when you have a compromise of your password file.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

pr0zac posted:

These aren't bad, and are comparable to other password managers, though in general they use less secure methods for storing the passwords. Like hooah alluded to, last I checked Chrome stored the passwords in plain text unless you're on OSX where it uses Keychain. Safari uses Keychain on OSX as well. Firefox uses a master password with 3DES which is a bit better as its not tied to the system password.

One other benefit is other than syncing across devices, things like 1password/keepass are also easier to use across applications. I pretty regularly use Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, so being able to use 1password from all of them is pretty nice. Also makes it easier to store passwords for applications like Skype/Steam/etc.

IIRC Chrome doesn't use Keychain anymore due to the excuse that "Safari doesn't share its passwords so why should we use the Keychain?"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

John Lightning posted:

:siren: http://myers.io/2015/10/22/1password-leaks-your-data/ :siren:

If you are using the 1PasswordAnywhere you are currently using the Agile Keychain and should stop and convert ASAP.

Thanks for reminding me to edit the OP about this.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Advice on that is just going to lead to people breaking their own systems, but it should be talked about of course.

If someone wants to write something on this, please feel free and I'll consider adding it to the OP.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Khablam posted:

The easiest way of achieving this, is also the most secure. You can create a Truecrypt* volume within your dropbox and simply shove your files there. Dropbox chunks the container like any large file and just uploads the sections that have changed. You can also give yourself plausible deniability (hide the encryption) so that, if someone steals the USB / hacks dropbox and AES is broken in 5 years, they can't go back and open it up. Or at least, they'd have no reason to suspect they could.** TC uses a slightly more secure implementation of AES, and can also chain encryption methods with no appreciable performance issues, so a complete break in one algorithm won't break the encryption.

The only risk to your data is 7-Zip having a backdoor (intentionally or not) or a tragic error in it's implementation. TC has been examined to death for a vulnerability and one has never been found that could lead to easier brute force attacks. Has 7-Zip been so intensely scrutinised? Almost certainly not. Whether you consider that a valid threat is your own exercise though.

*Truecrypt forked and largely died as a project as of 7.2. 7.1a was a full proper release by the original team, and as of Feb this year was audited to ensure there are no backdoors (etc) in the code.
**You can determine something is a TC volume with a little effort, your goal is to create something that looks like it is meant to be random-looking data and be passed over. Video files are a good choice - most players will launch and simply say the file is missing a codec or similar.

I would never, ever recommend TrueCrypt in light of this statement from the developer themselves:

quote:

WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues

Nowhere does it mention specifically that it is the crypto that is at fault, but it should be noted that while it did go under an audit after it was forked, it only focused on the cryptography, not the OS implementation of which I'd argue is just as important. It has come to light since the audit that there were severe vulnerabilities affecting both TrueCrypt and its forks. This isn't to say that these are the vulnerabilities that the original developer were warning about, but it should be enough to indicate that there are problems affecting more than the crypto.

It is right to question 7-Zip's cryptography but truthfully it works for the time-being. Source code is available and I think it's a good point that an audit is needed.

If you need full disk encryption, just use whatever your OS provides. Until there is evidence of BitLocker, FileVault, or dm-crypt having crypto flaws or outright backdoors, it's generally best to stick with them if at all an option. For file encryption, rely on 7-Zip for now as it will do the job.

If you are looking for a way to backup data that is important, I'd suggest looking at Tarsnap.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Updated the OP a bit to clean it up and also added some details on FDE.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

This doesn't invalidate all concern about VeraCrypt perhaps inheriting any unknown TrueCrypt bugs, but the two issues you cite with TrueCrypt's FDE are marked as fixed (or at least addressed) in VeraCrypt 1.15: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Release%20Notes

While fixed it needs to be remembered that the developer killed the original project and left that ominous note.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

hackbunny posted:

While we're at it: the kernel-mode part of anti-virus software is often poorly written, so that having AV actually makes your machine less secure. I can't remember any recent high-profile exploits in AVs, but at the very least there are several tricks to bypass their hooks, sometimes in ways that are impossible to fix (yes, AVs are fundamentally broken, especially those of the behavioral/heuristic kind). Yes, I can elaborate (not from personal experience, but I know a couple of things about kernel-mode Windows)

Just look for anything that Tavis Ormandy has written on anti-virus software and you'll find a treasure trove of stuff.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

sneakymango posted:

Thanks for all the info, I'm paranoid now and going to take a bunch of this advice.

I have a question about password managers, though. I need to log into stuff from all sorts of different computers in my daily life. How does that work with KeePass? You mention that it can be sync'd with dropbox or other services but do I then have to carry a USB drive with the KeePass program/vault file with me wherever I go, and can only log into poo poo if I can get to that computer's USB ports? Or do I have to download it on every new computer, and then connect it to my vault file from dropbox? Sometimes that's not possible or practical (wall-mounted presentation boxes in conference rooms at work etc.). Would I just put it on my phone (iphone, sorry) and pull it up in plaintext and type it in manually when I'm at a new computer, or what?

Sorry if this is dumb.

So you have a couple of options but in the case of a machine where downloading the password file to the machine is not an option, sending the file to your mobile device is definitely one way you can go about doing it. You'll need a copy of KeePass on any machine that you want to read the password database itself. KeePass themselves provide links to portable versions however.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hey OSI Bean Dip, I faintly remember you writing a post about how you used to work in an anti-virus firm and how anti-virus is just trash. Do you know where I could find that? If you never wrote this, could you write it? My boss refuses to accept that anti-virus is dead and hearing from an expert might change his opinion.

Was it this post?

OSI bean dip posted:

Traditionally, anti-virus works through a few ways:
  • Signatures - this is really the most common way that AV vendors rely on and really all it is a list of items that indicate that whatever it is reading is good or bad. AV vendors have signatures for files they don't want to touch and files they do.
  • Behavioural - anything that does a number of steps in a specific order (or a single step) is monitored
  • Heuristics - don't really work but the idea is to figure out a pattern and work based on that
  • Sandbox - run the code within a virtual machine and determine if the outcome is good or not
  • Remotely - you'll see vendors claim they have a "cloud solution" when really it's not much different from that Python script I shared
The big problem with signature-detection is scale: back when the only attack vectors were floppies and BBSes, it was really a non-issue to just wait every six to twelve months to visit Computer City or CompUSA for a new-fangled edition of McAfee, which at the time was still under the nose John McAfee, except now his nose is above cocaine. The Internet was not really a major concern in the mid-90s because while there were things like worms going about, it was still relatively new and we were still in the age of joke viruses--ransomware is fairly old just for the record.

Once broadband became a thing and the new millennium dawned, malware started to change. Spam was really the big driving-force behind malware for a long time and to a certain extent still is, but it never became a huge issue in the malware sense until we started to see e-mail RBLs becoming popular--RBLs have been around since the mid-late 90s but became much more popular as everyone else started to get online. As a result of RBLs becoming popular, we started to see a shift in getting access to botnets for the purposes of sending e-mail spam as opposed to sharing files--much of the botnet activity I used to see back in the early-00s were really for people to share warez and porn.

Because of this shift in how botnets were being used, malware was becoming a bigger problem for the AV vendors to manage so then began an arms race between the writers and the defenders. It helps to understand the basic logic of how a signature works (and it should be mentioned that heuristics really fall into the signature category here so I won't elaborate much on them).

It's sort of hard to write into words (and I know that certain people are going to nitpick on what is written here because they want to be "right") but it sort of works like this:
  • What is the filename being used here? - Some malware (usually older) have filenames that are just consistent or have a predictable pattern. This is of course not reliable but if we're to look at this from a flow-chart then it allows for the next set of rules to go forward. The path of where the file resides is important too.
  • What's the file size? This may seem really dumb but both the filename and file size checks are super-important from a performance perspective because all we're doing is requesting details from the OS for the metadata.
  • What is the file type? This is done one of two ways usually: checking the extension and then checking for the magic pattern. There is a limited set of file extensions that AV engines by default will want to check--typically we're talking executables, libraries, drivers, et cetera. However, sometimes that isn't enough and what you can do instead is determine the file type by looking through the first few bytes or so and going based on that--Windows executables always start with with "MZ" on its first two bytes and PDFs will start with "%PDF" for example. This is also the first time the AV engine will touch the file.
  • Should it be an acceptable file type, what are the first few things it does right off of the bat? This is useful in the case of an executable because a number of junk programs will do things like constantly call the OS' API to do a bunch of things but then do nothing afterward. This can be checked through reading the first handful of software instructions but it is also checked within the sandbox as well.
  • Is this file encoded in a specific way? Malware tends to get packed, meaning that if you were to run the code through a debugger, you won't get the entire picture until you unpack it. There's a couple of ways to get around this: namely either running it in a sandbox then dumping what it loaded into memory or just outright detecting based on the packer itself--there are legitimate executable packers out there and there are known stolen copies which do happen to leave a signature on files. You can unpack the files as well but only if you are able to determine what the packer-type is to begin with. It's pretty easy to do this with Python if you're curious.
  • What patterns does it match? What strings does it have? If there are known strings then it can start to apply whatever rules to those. Sometimes it needs a specific pattern such as it's calling on a socket to connect to an IP address to determine its location but then it goes and reads the SAM file to see what users are on there immediately afterward--things like that.
I should disclaim that the above list is really a really, really simplified look at an AV engine as I cannot divulge too much further without putting myself at potential legal risk here (I'll leave this part to your guys' imagination), but what it does describe is that there are so many things signature-based AV engines have to look at in order to come to a conclusion whether or not a file is safe--keep in mind, signatures can be used to whitelist in addition to blacklisting. The problem with the signature system is really straightforward: it is really easy to determine how to get around it once you're aware that one exists. I may elaborate on these points or your questions if you want, but I may hold back too just because of what I said earlier here.

The thing is that the malware writers can use whatever they have at their disposal to pump out thousands of unique copies of their software that evade the signatures that have been created already. The idea behind heuristics is to come up with a pattern that potentially predicts this, but the packers already take that into account and can render any discovered pattern useless within a very short period of time. To combat that, AV vendors have agreements amongst many of themselves to share the data they already have, so Symantec may end up with McAfee's, Trend Micro's, Sophos', or Microsoft's data and vice-versa. VirusTotal for example is not popular with malware authors because VT themselves share the data with vendors who request access--at a fee of course, which is in order of a few thousand per month. They themselves have online testing tools that take popular AV engines and run the malware against and spit out results. It's really an arm's race that in my opinion the AV industry lost a decade ago, so the idea that you should go shopping around for different AV vendors is stupid.

The solution for AV vendors to keep the signature race going is to throw more people at it. It doesn't mean success but more bodies in seats in their labs does usually lead to better results. However, that becomes expensive so you have to make business decisions around that. I won't go much further into this but you'll probably get the idea.

AV vendors will come out and say that their cloud detection works but really all it is is a pre-warning for or from them. They'll get a hash sum from a client machine, run it against their DB, and if it has already has seen in it. they'll report back with details. The dirty little secret is that if your AV engine is already signature-based, you're going to have details about that hash sum anyway in the next update so all you're doing is pre-emptively checking against their set of signatures and hoping that they have seen it before you have managed to update.

Suspicious behaviour is a bit of a different beast all together and probably the worst of the bunch. It relies on a list of patterns within a pre-configured file in order to determine if the action taken by an application is legitimate or not. Here's a kicker: go and make a change to your Windows Firewall with it enabled; it might actually set it off. It works fine if you're running it on a single machine, but try and enable it corporate-wide across thousands of machines then deploy a change later via GPO that requires a task to be performed that the behaviour monitoring picks up on--your help desk will absolutely love you. AV vendors keep this sort of thing close to their chest on what they're actually looking for but I wouldn't be shocked if a list of what the look out for is floating about.

Sandboxing is useful to me because I can run the malware within a controlled environment to determine what the ramifications are, but there are solutions that will run malware at the perimeter and will react after the fact if it does something that is discovered to be malicious. You just have to hope that the box doesn't get compromised because of a a vulnerability.

I should add that almost all endpoint software is really garbage as they tend to just be different shades of poo poo.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 27, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Segmentation Fault posted:

Thanks! I felt like you wrote a post that specifically mentioned your time working at an AV firm but I couldn't find it. Oh well, in any case that's going to help out big time.

I might have but this is the only post that comes to mind.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

John Lightning posted:

Anyone else get a Malware warning from Windows 10 when trying to install the latest version of Keepass v2.31? The website says to ignore it and Malwarebytes didn't get any hits when scanning it so I assume Windows is just being dumb or something right now.

What specifics can you provide with regards to the identity et cetera?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Melian Dialogue posted:

For those travelling on vacation, what are some very basic standard security stuff to go for? I don't mean super crazy encryption or ultra paranoid thwarting secret agents or anything like that, but more like to protect yourself against common theft or bad wifi when you're travelling? I've heard of some options like basic honeypot OS' installed so when your laptop is booted up by someone stealing it, it goes to a clean OS, and installing something like Prey to monitor. I know lots of people go all out paranoid by using a fully clean laptop but I don't have anything important, I just want to deter the most common stuff. I don't want to spend hours setting up my Windows 8 laptop to dual boot Linux or whatever. I know to avoid internet banking and to only use HTTPS for connections, but should I invest in a VPN as well? Anyways, some thoughts from the experts would be great.

Always assume that if your laptop or phone gets stolen that it is lost forever and that having it encrypted is the safest thing to do to ensure that at worst you're out a grand or two. I really do suggest going down this road as it'll at least not make you worry about what was on there.

As for safeguarding your Internet access, this one is a bit tricky as it depends on your skillset. Many people will automatically jump at suggesting a VPN service but I am always hesitant to do so. Are you travelling on business or is this personal? What's your computer skill level? Can you use SSH?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Adix posted:

I have OpenVPN to my home router for use on work/public WiFi. Any concerns there I should be thinking about?

I actually meant a service that sells VPN access. Having one that exits out of your home or a VPS is a good idea because then you know your ingress and egress points will stay consistent.

Melian Dialogue posted:

Personal travel, and my computer skill level is alright, but I don't know what SSH is, so no I can't use it. All I'd really like is to prob encrypt my harddrive, and have some sort of honeypot OS that is booted up automatically that has none of my personal files on it. and have one of those tracking programs (like Prey) in case some idiot steals it and doesn't wipe everything. I'm at a house rental with wifi there, and will probably stick to that instead of internet cafes, but I want a good balance between best bang for your buck.

What OS are you running?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Melian Dialogue posted:

Windows 8.1. I'd like to have it autoboot to a honeypot OS if its preconfigured upon shutdown/hibernate.

When do you leave? Do you work downtown? I could just sit down with you over a coffee if you'd like and see what can be fleshed out. I assume you live in my neck of the woods.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Melian Dialogue posted:

I appreciate the help! But, I probably won't have time to sit down before the trip, and am going to try and fit in doing this on my own time. Can you give me a head start with some terms or stuff to google and learn about installing and configuring?

To be honest, your suggestion of having an OS that you can boot into that is there for in case you have to show something on your workstation to a border guard or whatever may not be practical. It would be far simpler to just reinstall a fresh OS with nothing on it and then just access whatever is valuable via a remote session. At least then you will not have to be as concerned about your data being stolen and there will be nothing of value to extract from the machine. I don't travel with my main computer mainly because it's full of crap and instead I just keep a spare machine on hand for this very reason.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Personally I'd just rather travel light and not take anything beyond a smartphone unless it is completely necessary.