Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crankit posted:

Did anyone mention the importance of keeping software up to date? I assume that's fairly important, heck I'd guess out of date software is in top 5 reasons systems get compromised?

Is secunia PSI well regarded for informing about updates? Something else these days?

I got fed up with Secunia PSI, since it kept going unresponsive or being unable to update things. Someone recommended PatchMyPC, and it's worked really well so far (about a month).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Last I'd heard, at least one of the major browsers stored saved passwords as plain text.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hackbunny posted:

So, anyone? It's not strictly a security tool, but it keeps all software up to date and it requires almost zero maintenance or human intervention. I was wondering if anyone else used it and if it's secretly terrible

I don't know about security, but I stopped using it because it was slow as hell (i.e. tens of minutes to update a handful of programs). I've been using PatchMyPC instead and have been much happier with it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You can get an enclosure and slap your old drive in it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to use two-factor authentication to open a KeePass database (preferably with Google Authenticator) that doesn't require entering 3 keys? That seems pretty prohibitive since it will take you 60-90 seconds to open your database. I know it's not a long time, but I'm sure it would drive me crazy before long.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How would I use either the keyfile or the Yubikey on my phone?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Out of curiosity, what did you find didn't work about the new UI? Granted, I only used the password feature so I didn't interact with LastPass much, but it seemed innocuous enough to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is this KeePass vulnerability the same one that was mentioned earlier in the thread? http://www.engadget.com/2016/06/04/keepass-wont-fix-security-hole-due-to-ads/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have my database and the executable in Dropbox and my key file elsewhere. I don't know how you could have managed to delete your database without realizing it, unless perhaps you didn't actually save it? As for the password requirements, you can get very specific with the generator in terms of length ad what it includes: upper-case, lower-case, digits, minus, underline, space, special, brackets, and even whatever "High ANSI characters" are. You can also save various generator profiles so you can have one for like "short dumb password", one for "20 character everything", and so on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

galahan posted:

This one may only be casually related to security, but http://www.geekuninstaller.com/ makes sure things cleanly uninstall, it might catch some crap ware and prevent winrot

Does this do anything different/better than Revo Uninstaller? That's what I've been using for a while and it seems to work pretty well. Checks the registry and installation folder(s) for stuff left over by the program's native installer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

OSI bean dip posted:

If someone wants to write a sane guide to setting up a Raspberry Pi to allow for remote access, please do.

I'm interested in doing this with my Pi. Could you elaborate on why guides that are out there aren't sane?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If this isn't the right thread, apologies and please let me know where to ask this instead.

Since Congress decided to gently caress over every single American Internet user today, I want to get a VPN. What's the best way to do that? I feel like I've read about putting OpenVPN on a router, but that seems counterintuitive to me - how can a VPN be on the same side of the modem as me? Besides, I'm sure my current one won't support that anyway.

The other option I'm aware of would be paying for a service, but I have no idea which companies are reputable, nor how to choose among them even if I did know that.

Please help, goons!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

OSI bean dip posted:

You're better off just using a VPS.

So you'd rent a VPS and then what, install OpenVPN on it? That sounds pretty doable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the best KeePass 2 program for Linux? I'm currently using KeePass2 on Ubuntu, but it takes a lot longer to decrypt the key than on Windows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of KeePass et al., I switched the storage from Google Drive to Dropbox a whole back since in either this thread or one of the Android threads people said it worked better with Keepass2Android, the app I've been using. However, it still doesn't sync from my phone. What other combinations should I try? I just downloaded KeePassDroid, but it can't pull from Dropbox at all.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I did, and I agree that it's way more user-friendly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Subjunctive posted:

There’s also Bitwarden, which does multi-device TOTP and client-side encryption.

Wait, Bitwarden can generate TOTP tokens? That's great! Seems accessing a particular TOTP token might be somewhat less convenient than a dedicated app like Authy or Google Authenticator. I'll try it out for sure, though. Thanks for the heads-up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Bitwarden checks most of those boxes, except the VPN (which is really unrelated to a password manager) and password leak detection bit. For the latter, you can sign up for haveibeenpwned for email notifications.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Oysters Autobio posted:

So Bitwarden wouldn't work in terms of accessing the same set of passwords on my phone and my PC? Is there any way to have personal vaults but still be able to access them across devices?

Bitwarden indeed can do that, just like any popular password manager. I may not understand exactly what you mean by "personal vaults", though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lately my UniFi Network's security log has been picking up inbound requests pointing at my NAS. They've come from several foreign countries (I'm in the US). Some signatures are
- ET EXPLOIT HackingTrio UA (Hello, World)
- ET EXPLOIT D-Link DSL-2750B - OS Command Injection
- ET EXPLOIT MVPower DVR Shell UCE

Are these just random drive-bys that I don't need to be worried about? How do I tell if I should be worried? Why am I only seeing these things targeting my NAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It's a Synology. I'd have to remember what to check to see if it's set up to be internet accessible. If it is I probably did that so I could access Jellyfin content from outside our network.