Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Enough about anti-virus, what is this network stuff you mentioned earlier?

This is the one thing you can do without much work and is practically OS agnostic: change your DNS from what your ISP offers to something else. This is a really simple and usually free way to have protection from websites that may be otherwise malicious.

The most popular service is OpenDNS, but there are also services from Norton and Comodo. Keep in mind that this may introduce ads if you have DNS failures and that you could have issues with CDNs, but it does the trick.

Out of curiosity, why not Google DNS? Obviously I'm giving Google statistics on what domain names I'm resolving, but let's say I don't care?

quote:

What about using popup and ad blockers?

Install uBlock Origin or uBlock, both of which do the same thing. The latter has Safari support.
If I'm already using Adblock Plus, is it worth switching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Now that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time. A long time.