Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's June, the start of summerthe unholy winter of austerity. Now that the election is over, we have a wonderful Conservative majority as wide as it is compassionate.

Michael Gove will be bringing his range of skills and core-competencies to the justice department, Iain Duncan Smith will be continuing with his role ensuring that the poor and downtrodden are cared for in a suitable manner, and Theresa May will be continuing to safeguard our treasured liberties. What could go wrong?

Immediately after the election, the Conservatives announced plans to replace the Human Rights Act with something that will make sure only those who don't need their rights preserving get them, and a wide ranging ban on anything that affects the brain, which is sure to be workable and not ban perfume or paint.

The Liberal Democrats got completely destroyed as a consequence of :clegg:, and also lost a treasured former leader and decent politician. :(

RIP

Labour got less seats, despite getting more votes, and UKIP got one seat, despite getting millions of votes, calling for people all across the political spectrum (except Tories) to question the validity of the first past the post system.

Now is the time to sit and hope that what government there is fractures over Brexit, or breakfast, or whatever the issue of the day is.

Previous Threads

UKMT May 2015 Thread (Election Extravaganza)
UKMT April 2015 Thread
UKMT March 2015 Thread
UKMT February 2015 Thread
UKMT January 2015 Thread

UKMT December 2014 Thread
UKMT November 2014 Thread
UKMT October 2014 Thread
UKMT September 2014 Thread (OP includes links to previous threads going back to 2012)

UK Pastime of Plutocrats (Pederasty) Thread

Scotpol Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

:captainpop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Harsh but accurate.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Vote communist. I know the election was last month but just write "Harpal Brar" on as many bits of paper you have and push them through the council's letterbox.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

destroy neoliberalism

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

HorseLord posted:

Vote communist. I know the election was last month but just write "Harpal Brar" on as many bits of paper you have and push them through the council's letterbox.

Wiki posted:

He, along with his daughter Joti Brar, is an active member of the Stalin Society, the website of which contains articles denying Soviet wrongdoing in the Katyn Massacre,[10] the Ukrainian Famine (Holodomor),[11] and the Moscow trials[12] which they blame on the Nazis, dismiss as propaganda, or describe as fair process, respectively.

Seems like a bit of a nutter...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Venomous posted:

destroy neoliberalism

Well, I guess you are going to not be happy with the 10,000 year Reich they have planned out.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Being white, educated and most importantly not living in the UK right now I will enjoy watching the Tories fumble about to stab each other in the back until they lose a no confidence vote some time before Christmas.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Prince John posted:

You would say that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's a story regarding Charles Kennedy in that when the news of his drinking problem had broke into the mainstream, many party members were like "yeah, we knew years ago, and we still elected him".

The Lib Dems even sing a song at their biannual Glee Club, typically held on the last night of Conference, to the tune of the Skye Boat Song:

quote:

Speed, bonnie boat,
Like a hack on the make,
Back to his seat on Skye.
Carry the lad that was born to be king,
Back to his seat on Skye.
Where is the man?
Down in the bar!
Loudly the whips proclaim.
Out on the town,
Out of his head,
Charlie is pissed again.

The EU referendum just got that little bit harder to win now. :(

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

BigPaddy posted:

Being white, educated and most importantly not living in the UK right now I will enjoy watching the Tories fumble about to stab each other in the back until they lose a no confidence vote some time before Christmas.

Didn't they modify the rules to make no confidence votes much harder?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Prince John posted:

i see you thought horselord's avatar was a joke

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Jesus, he was only 55. Besides his drinking problem he didn't sound like that much of a bad guy.

TinTower posted:

The EU referendum just got that little bit harder to win now. :(

Just to clarify (and not meaning anything by this) "Win" in this context is us staying in the EU?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jesus, he was only 55. Besides his drinking problem he didn't sound like that much of a bad guy.

Just to clarify (and not meaning anything by this) "Win" in this context is us staying in the EU?

Yep. Charlie was one of the fiercest pro-European voices ever to grace Parliament.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

TinTower posted:

The Lib Dems even sing a song at their biannual Glee Club, typically held on the last night of Conference, to the tune of the Skye Boat Song:

I wonder if they do it at the infamous disco?

quote:

The club night, which is only open to party members and staff and intriguingly has no official end time listed online, is being organised by Cambridge MP Julian Huppert to raise cash for his 2015 election campaign.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ConanThe3rd posted:

I agree totally, but he was 33. :yayclod:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Can someone summarize the reasons why the UK shouldn't exit the EU?
Not sure why they should be the biggest contributor to the union especially with places like Greece dragging the region down.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Charles Kennedy was a great man in Parliament, of course he drank.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

tdrules posted:

I wonder if they do it at the infamous disco?

Glee Club predates the disco by fifty years. It's also much more fun. It's pretty much an excuse for everyone to get drunk and take the piss out of politicians (including themselves).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWpb1fnT1A

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

Glee Club predates the disco by fifty years. It's also much more fun. It's pretty much an excuse for everyone to get drunk and take the piss out of politicians (including themselves).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWpb1fnT1A

Darn, that looks like fun. Parties that have amusing singalongs and don't bring the Tories into power are where I want to be.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

shrike82 posted:

Not sure why they should be the biggest contributor to the union especially with places like Greece dragging the region down.

We can't relocate geographically so having procedural influence on the happenings in the EU will always be useful because it'll always affect us. Cameron is basically arguing against all the other advantages of being in the EU and wants to get rid of them so who knows what else will last.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

shrike82 posted:

Because having to meet the same regulations if we want to do business with the continent (which we will) while foregoing the right to have a say in those regulations would be loving stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because not being willing to comply with or co-operate with the largest economic and political entity in our immediate vicinity seems unwise.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Because it's better to be on the inside pissing out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've said this repeatedly before, but the only remotely plausible alternative (And I stretch the phrase beyond the breaking point) to being in the EU is calling up Washington and asking if they want a few more stars on the flag, and even if we assumed that entire procedure went perfectly and nobody at all objected we'd still have problems due to simple geography.

The world today is just not one where a country like the UK can prosper outside of a bloc or group like the EU. Can we get by? Probably, just about. Can we do well, have a seat at any meaningful tables outside the UNSC, and actually have British interests represented abroad? Not a chance in hell. So we can be inside with said seat, or we can be outside and still have to follow the marching orders like Norway and Switzerland do.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
There's always Russia. We could proably get a good deal.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
How much could we get for Scotland, I'm sure they could use some more sub bases.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

V. Illych L. posted:

i see you thought horselord's avatar was a joke

Guilty as charged. What's your avatar from out of interest?

Edit: vv I'd stake a reasonable amount on us being a larger net contributor, at least pre-rebate.
Edit 2: Yeah, even post-rebate, we're the second largest net contributor. The Telegraph has a surpsingly detailed article on EU finances here.

quote:

However, on a net basis, Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget last year. It put €10.8bn more into the EU pot last year than it took out. Only Germany paid more on a net basis.

Edit 3: I hadn't quite realised the rationale for Thatcher's negotiation of the rebate. Thought it was just her being bolshy, but actually it looks like it was addressing a genuine unfairness:

quote:

Yes, the Iron Lady used her handbag-swinging negotiating style in June 1984 at a summit in Fontainebleau, just outside Paris, to declare:

Thatcher posted:

We are not asking the Community or anyone else for money. We are simply asking to have our own money back.

At the time, Britain was still suffering from the impact of the 1980s recession, with unemployment close to 12pc. The UK was the third poorest member of the EEC but on course to become the biggest net contributor to the EU budget because of its relatively small agricultural sector.

The budget's emphasis on revenues from VAT also penalised the UK because it raised more revenue from VAT than most other member states.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 2, 2015

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

And UK is not the biggest contributor, France pays more with a smaller population even.

Edit: That's still a way to say that the UK is not the biggest contributor to the EU budget. It may benefit from EU policies even less than other countries, but it's a bit disingenuous to say that it pays in more. For the record, according to the graph at the bottom of the article, and even before the rebate, UK is the fourth largest contributor (behind Italy!).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 2, 2015

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Rip Charlie K. And I thought my hangover was bad this morning.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

. For the record, according to the graph at the bottom of the article, and even before the rebate, UK is the fourth largest contributor (behind Italy!).

Which bit are you reading?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

Which bit are you reading?

This one:

It's not at the bottom, my bad.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Yeah there's your problem. Net contributions are the important bit. If you look you can see that while France and Italy pay more than the UK, they also receive more back. The difference between the two values for each country is less than the same difference calculated for the UK.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
can we get some more advanced stats on the net spend please?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah there's your problem. Net contributions are the important bit. If you look you can see that while France and Italy pay more than the UK, they also receive more back. The difference between the two values for each country is less than the same difference calculated for the UK.

No I understand that, but rather than complain UK should be lobbying for the money to be spent in ways that benefit it more. It's not really the fault of France and Italy that they benefit more from the agricultural subsidies than Germany and the UK, even if the subsidy system is a bit messed up currently.

Here is a breakdown of EU spending, most of it goes on the common agricultural policy (i.e. subsidies)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Private Speech posted:

No I understand that, but rather than complain UK should be lobbying for the money to be spent in ways that benefit it more. It's not really the fault of France and Italy that they benefit more from the agricultural subsidies than Germany and the UK, even if the subsidy system is a bit messed up currently.

I mean, it is, because the system was created principally to benefit the French farming industry. It's not a happy coincidence for the French.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sort of is their fault given that they do presumably have some control over their industry and are A-OK with hoovering up the money to pay a large portion of their workforce on the EU dollar euro. Thus being able to claim importance to the EU while also sucking a bunch of their money straight back out again into their own economy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

No I understand that, but rather than complain UK should be lobbying for the money to be spent in ways that benefit it more.

Why would somebody lobby for something unless they have a complaint about the way things are?

Personally I'm not particularly animated about the UK being one of the largest net contributors.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm just saying that it's more about how the money is spent, rather than where it comes from. And the rebate is a bit ridiculous because it goes back directly to the government, rather than just to the economy,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

TinTower posted:

There's a story regarding Charles Kennedy in that when the news of his drinking problem had broke into the mainstream, many party members were like "yeah, we knew years ago, and we still elected him".
It was pretty much an open secret around Westminster and Fleet Street long before he admittedly it publicly.

• Locked thread