Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Private Speech posted:

This one:

It's not at the bottom, my bad.
You understand what "net" means?

Look at the pink lines... what you'll see is France abusing the gently caress out of agricultural subsidies, thanks for playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Private Speech posted:

I'm just saying that it's more about how the money is spent, rather than where it comes from. And the rebate is a bit ridiculous because it goes back directly to the government, rather than just to the economy,

Not as ridiculous as the rebates on our rebate, that some countries get back!

quote:

Is Britain the only EU country that enjoys a rebate?

No. Due to corrections and "rebates on the rebate" enjoyed by Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and Sweden, these countries pay less than their normal share. Denmark recently joined this club, and will receive a rebate of around €130m from next year.

This means France and Italy have been left to pick up the biggest share of the tab. Last year, France contributed €1.2bn to Britain's rebate, while Italy contributed €900m. Most of the money Britain receives from the EU is used to subsidise farming (€3.1bn).

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

BigPaddy posted:

Being white, educated and most importantly not living in the UK right now I will enjoy watching the Tories fumble about to stab each other in the back until they lose a no confidence vote some time before Christmas.

Ditto this. The one consolation about a Tory government is that they can't directly gently caress me over from the other side of the Atlantic. :munch:

Sucks for people still in the UK though. Even relatively apolitical American friends of mine have heard about how quickly the government is making GBS threads out awful policies. :(

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That the UK is a 'net contributor' to the EU doesn't mean we don't benefit from it either, even financially. Greece is a net recipient and it's destroyed their economy via the Euro.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Peel posted:

That the UK is a 'net contributor' to the EU doesn't mean we don't benefit from it either, even financially. Greece is a net recipient and it's destroyed their economy via the Euro.

http://ec.europa.eu/budget/mycountry/UK/index_en.cfm

I found this EU page on benefits etc. accruing to the UK to be quite informative/interesting, once you start expanding the sections below.

Still bloody shocking that 90% of EU expenditure can't be audited though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I remember when the LibDems went into coalition with the Tories and everyone (including me) was :aaa: and "It'll never last :smug:" and for the next five loving years the media (Channel 4 news at least) prefaced virtually every news report with "Cracks in the coalition???!? *amusing graphic of blue and yellow plate smashing*" and began every interview with "So with this latest disagreement, is this coalition going to last?"

And it did

So excuse me while I take all your "Yeah this slim Tory majority is going to collapse into a seething mass of stabbed backs :smug:" comments and put them in the bin, before proceeding to get out the whiskey and preparing for 5 solid years of uninterrupted Tory rule

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Please don't piss on my dreams.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KKKlean Energy posted:

So excuse me while I take all your "Yeah this slim Tory majority is going to collapse into a seething mass of stabbed backs :smug:" comments and put them in the bin, before proceeding to get out the whiskey and preparing for 5 solid years of uninterrupted Tory rule

Dreams of the government collapsing are all we have for the next 5 years

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is less likely than we'd like but what is politics if not repeating the same fruitless gesture in the vain hope of something good happening this time?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Zephro posted:

It was pretty much an open secret around Westminster and Fleet Street long before he admittedly it publicly.

There's quite a few high-functioning alcoholics around in political circles, to no-one's great surprise. Charles Kennedy was sometimes very non-functional with the drink though. The life expectancy for a recently-single man, a smoker, with a drink problem, who's just lost his beloved father, and his job of 32 years, at the age of 55, is not a rosy one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure that every time there's been the prospect of reforming the agricultural subsidies, various farmers' groups have immediately started jumping up and down on their haybales, screaming bloody murder.
And then started lobbying MPs to make sure it doesn't happen.

Farmers being core Tory voters just makes it all the more :ironicat:

And I just realised that G4S and Serco are probably lobbying pretty hard right now to exit the EU. Imagine all the money they'd make from the extra detention camps they'd be contracted to run.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

kingturnip posted:

I'm pretty sure that every time there's been the prospect of reforming the agricultural subsidies, various farmers' groups have immediately started jumping up and down on their haybales, screaming bloody murder.
And then started lobbying MPs to make sure it doesn't happen.

Our farmers union is surprisingly powerful considering its pitiful size.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely G4S and Serco should be in favor of EU membership and high immigration? That's how you run a detention camp based economy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

We all wanted a drink to celebrate Thatcher dying, but we all just wanted to have a drink with Charlie :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Peel posted:

Yeah exactly, it's not some money laundering scheme where the whole point is to put money in just to take it back out again

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So I was thinking, how would things have looked over the last five years had Kennedy been in sufficient health to remain Lib Dem leader?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mister Adequate posted:

So I was thinking, how would things have looked over the last five years had Kennedy been in sufficient health to remain Lib Dem leader?

Assuming Kennedy has the ear of the party: No coalition means* no collapse in the Lib Dem vote. No collapse in the Lib Dem vote means smaller SNP swings in the Scottish Election, which means no majority government for the SNP, which means no referendum, which means no skyrocketing SNP membership and engagement, which means no focus on the SNP in the following election.
(*could theoretically mean, for all usage of means in the above.)

Suppose the Labour party still picks Ed Milliband. Without the Fixed Term Parliament act, Cameron is likely to call another election when the poll numbers look worst for Labour. That's late 2011, which makes some sense, about a year and a half into a minority administration where perhaps a snap election could have backfired given the economy. But if the Lib Dem support is holding strong at that point, what becomes the focus of the election? The Lib Dems came out of 2010 in second place in about 250 seats. And if you're having an election in mid-to-late 2011, with a largely unpopular Labour party leader and a generally popular person in Charles Kennedy leading the Lib Dems, I think the papers angle of attack would probably be to analogise the whole election to being a re-run of the 2011 Canadian Election, where the Liberals collapsed and the NDP became the official opposition for the first time. If the Lib Dems were able to capitalise on that, it could have been the breakout moment for them, possibly.

So who knows? Instead of six seats, maybe the Lib Dems could have been looking at 200MPs and a Shadow Cabinet to form. Unlikely, to be sure, but who knows what could have happened in those five years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What I'm getting from that is that Clegg is Literally Hitler.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the alternative to a Tory-LD coalition would've been a Lab-LD coalition, isn't it. Gordon Brown and Kennedy in government.

it'd mean you'd spend 2015 explaining how it's self-evident that a coalition reeking of unvarnished third-way neoliberalism (only with even less regulation!), arrogant and unpunished after a global financial crisis, was always doomed to lose the confidence of the White Van classes and/or nationalists

the wind only got really punched out of no2eu because of the Tories annexing the Euroskeptic plank, so a British left-wing euroskeptic movement screaming about the perfidy of Brussels and solidarity with SYRIZA would've been fun too. full-time Scandipol-thread-flavoured "I'm not racist but I'm for the workers who are harmed by immigrants".

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 3, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

What I'm getting from that is that Clegg is Literally Hitler.

The libdems in general is since Charles went, he was on the Social Democrat side. Almost all the important libdemers who took over were libertarian Orange Bookers. David Laws, Chris Huhne, Cleggy, Vince Cable, Edward Davey, Susan Kramer etc. Tory MP David Davis said it was one of the main reasons the coalition was formed between the libdems and tories as there were many overlaps in ideology.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Peel posted:

Nah, the Greeks already did a good job killing their own economy. Like a quarter of their GDP goes to pensions and they've always been an outlier even before they joined the EU. Can't wait for the lazy fucks to implode.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
All 'failing' schools to be academies under Education Bill

BBC News posted:

Every school in England rated inadequate by Ofsted, up to 1,000 over five years, will become an academy, under a bill to be published later.
The Education and Adoption Bill will also scrap the requirement for academy sponsors to consult locally on whether they should take over schools.

The measures include:
- Regional schools commissioners taking over responsibility for making "directive academy orders" from the secretary of state
- Duties on local authorities and governors issued with these orders to pursue academy status to a timescale
- Scrapping the requirement for academy sponsors to consult with school communities, including parents
- "Coasting" schools would be given notice to improve and offered support but could also have their heads replaced or be forced to become academies

A Tory minister actually said this posted:

The bill will allow the best education experts to intervene "from the first day we spot failure", said Mrs Morgan.
"It will sweep away the bureaucratic and legal loopholes previously exploited by those who put ideological objections above the best interests of children."

I can't decide if :ironicat: or :stonklol: is the more appropriate response to that quote.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

shrike82 posted:

Nah, the Greeks already did a good job killing their own economy. Like a quarter of their GDP goes to pensions and they've always been an outlier even before they joined the EU. Can't wait for the lazy fucks to implode.

A quarter (well, a fifth) of their GDP goes on pensions because their GDP is in the shitter and they have a load of old people. Their pension spending per pensioner is actually pretty low compared to some EU countries.

And of course the Greeks are no more "lazy fucks" than any other similarly stereotyped race or culture you'd care to mention.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Lousy. They've missed the point of local consultation, which New Labour understood - it gives a podium for Ofsted to publicly air its long list of failings of the local authority whilst baiting the unions to defend the school in an intrinsically disadvantageous terrain (namely, defending a high principle of the sovereignty of local education authority self-determination when the school involved is almost certainly one of the worst schools in the country).

Consultation wouldn't prevent Ofsted from academizing them regardless, so there's no point in scrapping it. It's a mild inconvenience but it's a way of buying political capital.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

kingturnip posted:

I can't decide if :ironicat: or :stonklol: is the more appropriate response to that quote.

A political incentive to give schools a 'poor' grade? What could possibly go wrong?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

5 seems optimistically low tbh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

Lousy. They've missed the point of local consultation, which New Labour understood - it gives a podium for Ofsted to publicly air its long list of failings of the local authority whilst baiting the unions to defend the school in an intrinsically disadvantageous terrain (namely, defending a high principle of the sovereignty of local education authority self-determination when the school involved is almost certainly one of the worst schools in the country).

Consultation wouldn't prevent Ofsted from academizing them regardless, so there's no point in scrapping it. It's a mild inconvenience but it's a way of buying political capital.

Why do you think they only target 'bad schools'? Even temporary problems have been used as an excuse to let academy groups snap up high-performing schools, which then 'recover' from their temporary blip and allow the academy group and the government to take credit, hail Satan

The trouble is people have a bad habit of liking things like the concept of state schools, keeping the private sector out of education, keeping the local school open under local authority control, that kind of thing. Giving people the option to protest against something you expressly intend to do doesn't necessarily make you look good, and it risks stalling the campaign and missing the window of opportunity

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

kingturnip posted:

The coasting euphemism bugs the poo poo out of me, it's literally saying that performance which is "merely" acceptable is unacceptable. It's like writing "could do better" on every C graded test paper, and plays into to the striver/skiver narrative in a way that paints teachers who don't return ever higher grades as lazy (and at the other end of the cycle blames them for grade inflation and making tests too easy)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fluo posted:

The libdems in general is since Charles went, he was on the Social Democrat side. Almost all the important libdemers who took over were libertarian Orange Bookers. David Laws, Chris Huhne, Cleggy, Vince Cable, Edward Davey, Susan Kramer etc. Tory MP David Davis said it was one of the main reasons the coalition was formed between the libdems and tories as there were many overlaps in ideology.

You're making the assumption, of course, that the SDP were the left-wing part of the Alliance. They weren't; they were proto-Blairites in comparison to the sandal-wearing Liberals. Clegg's "radical centrism" is an ancient SDP policy tactic.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

The coasting euphemism bugs the poo poo out of me, it's literally saying that performance which is "merely" acceptable is unacceptable. It's like writing "could do better" on every C graded test paper, and plays into to the striver/skiver narrative in a way that paints teachers who don't return ever higher grades as lazy (and at the other end of the cycle blames them for grade inflation and making tests too easy)

That's just a continuation of the trend in the expansion of higher education and grade inflation though - it affects both parties because no politician is ever going to have the cohones to tell parents that their kids should be sent to a school that's only trying to be average.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Here's one of Kennedy's last Conference speeches, on the issue of Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4poB2T-ohVw

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

You're making the assumption, of course, that the SDP were the left-wing part of the Alliance. They weren't; they were proto-Blairites in comparison to the sandal-wearing Liberals. Clegg's "radical centrism" is an ancient SDP policy tactic.

Social Democrats were Social liberals, the Liberal Party were Classical liberals. One loved Adam Smith, the other didn't.

TinTower posted:

Here's one of Kennedy's last Conference speeches, on the issue of Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4poB2T-ohVw

There are pro and anti EU types on the whole spectrum of politics.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 3, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

kingturnip posted:

Well, imo for too long now we've been a passively tolerant society, saying to our schools "as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone".

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And of course the Greeks are no more "lazy fucks" than any other similarly stereotyped race or culture you'd care to mention.
They work some of the longest hours in Europe: http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2015/03/13/contrary-to-what-most-people-think-greeks-work-the-longest-hours-in-europe-infographic/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Based on self-reporting which is likely as accurate as their tax filings.

Lmao, it has them working more hours than the Japanese. Sure.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 3, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

shrike82 posted:

Based on self-reporting which is likely as accurate as their tax filings.

Yeah, those crafty Greeks, all of them universally lie! :arghfist:

shrike82 posted:

Lmao, it has them working more hours than the Japanese. Sure.

I love that you edited this in too. "I'll back up my accusation based on nothing but national stereotype...with another stereotype!"

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 3, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well obviously racial stereotyping is more accurate than statistics, everyone knows that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ironically, a bunch of people posting on an internet forum during a working day are arguing about Greeks being idle fucks.

Time at work is irrelevant, it's how much poo poo you get done while you're there that counts. Just look at Germany's figures.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Your "facts" are merely statistics, whereas my national stereotypes are facts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

No-one doubts their productivity is terrible, though. And long working hours are a symptom of terrible productivity almost by definition.

• Locked thread