Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Oh, hey Book of the Month. I haven't read ICB for a few years but I remember a bit. agree that the whodunit aspect is fairly low down on Capote's priorities. I guess because almost everyone who read it (especially at the time) already knew who did it and the fact that they were captured, tried and executed. I guess we have to factor in that readers knew the basic outline already. I read something interesting about how a lot of pleasure in reading isn't not knowing what will happen in a story but knowing roughly what will happen but not how or why it will happen. It is knowing the what already but discovering the how and why aspects that are key to enjoying stories. That is why we re-read and why we read different narratives of the same events, different biographies of the same person etc. I feel like pointing this out every time a goon complains on the Stephen King thread that he uses foreshadowing too much. Maybe he does but that kind of misses the point.

I didn't find the procedural/evidence stuff that gripping. Is that because a) Capote does it badly, b) I am not experienced in reading/don't enjoy crime books (it isn't what I normally read) or c) because that stuff already leads to known perpetrators and known capture, hence it lacks suspense?

Overall, I would recommend this title even if you are not a fan of Capote or crime novels. I enjoyed it. The film Capote is also a definite must-watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Walh Hara posted:

Ah that explains something, I didn't realize Capote assumes knowledge about the case already (I had never heard about it before). You don't have to know the case at all to understand or like the book, but it seems he could have (would have?) written it differently if he hadn't expected the readers to know about the case before.

It was all over the news of the time because it was such a sensational murder of an entire family for apparently what was a minor burglary. That was why Capote went out there. I think he was living in NYC at the time and wasn't a regular stringer. He was deliberately searching out a dramatic story for an innovatory "factual novel" and the newspaper reports caught his eye. Every turn of the case was covered in the press, as were the trials and executions. It would be like someone writing about the SImpson-Goldman murders in 2000.

• Locked thread