Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
it does seem cool though. is it free. thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

did everyone just skip this level or something, what the hell, you all are weak

also i bought this game, god help me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Control Volume posted:

did everyone just skip this level or something, what the hell, you all are weak

also i bought this game, god help me
They swapped the order of that and the pattern recognition one, and it cleared že leaderboards so people have gotta resubmit.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Oh, you can repeat the final mission by opening the save directory, going to the parent folder and removing these lines from save.dat:

quote:

Best.70601.Cycles = ...
Best.70601.Instructions = ...
Best.70601.Nodes = ...

Last.70601.Cycles = ...
Last.70601.Instructions = ...
Last.70601.Nodes = ...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure I'm still not running it as inefficiently as possible.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Why is scatterplot before histogram.
Histogram took me like 20 minutes.
I sat with scatterplot for probably 2 hours before I got it.

Also, gently caress the last row of problems.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The main thing I've learnt so far is that I am surprisingly bad at telling my left from my right.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Prenton posted:

The main thing I've learnt so far is that I am surprisingly bad at telling my left from my right.

I always knew this but I feel like I got a little better with this game!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Symbolic Butt posted:

I always knew this but I feel like I got a little better with this game!

I don't think I am learning any programming but I'm sure learning about this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sequence Sorter done.That's the first time I've had to use JRO shenanigans just to make the topology work, but overall I'm reasonably happy with it as a first solution.

I'll probably give things a break for now.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
i am very bad at this game

spoilers: my solution here

e: i just realized you don't need to send 4 bits for each pixel, derp, brb rewriting all my solutions

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Evolution of my Prime Number Detector (spoilers):

Brute Force 612319 cycles, 5 nodes, 47 instructions

Sieve 116974 cycles, 6 nodes, 51 instructions

Parallel 19228 cycles, 9 nodes, 96 instructions

Parallel + Faster 2/3/5 Division 5910 cycles, 9 nodes, 105 instructions

Quinton fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 4, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's my primer I just finished, sitting at 252k cycles right now in a very slightly optimized brute force approach. I should be able to mirror it over to parallelize but I'll probably have to compact that bottom node somehow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Well, since we're posting solutions, here's my unoptimized prime detector, courtesy of Euclid. 97485/5/38, and there's potentially enough space to compact it to 4 nodes.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Prenton posted:

I think what's going on is you expect the port to have the same name on both nodes, as if they were uniquely identified.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is this possible to get into without never having done any coding? Does it teach you properly?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Demicol posted:

Is this possible to get into without never having done any coding? Does it teach you properly?

No. Print the manual out, learn the op codes, and have an understanding of what they want you to do.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demicol posted:

i know how to code and I took assembly and I am still overwhelmingly bad at this game. I can't imagine how someone who is coming into it cold will do.

Probably better than me...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Coding experience will help you maybe a little bit more in this game compared to spacechem, but not by a lot. You can play this game without any coding experience.

It's really difficult though, but I like it!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Demicol posted:

Yes. No.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Demicol posted:

I haven't touched programming since learning a modicum of some franken-BASIC when I was 12. My nearest reference point is trying to make overly complex logical expressions in Excel. The good news is you have a relatively small toolkit. The bad news is you have a relatively small toolkit.

Can you convert a flow chart in your head or on paper to prose? That's the basic skill needed over a visualizer like SpaceChem except the prose isn't in English.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vlad the Retailer posted:

I haven't solved Primes yet, but if you're doing trial division, it's helpful to keep in mind that you only need to check against the primes below (and including)
My fat fingers taught me the scored trial data set doesn't include any multiples of 23, 29, or 31. So I guess have at it till the test set is changed, probability is on your side to finish the random data test at that point.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
You don't need any coding experience, think of it as a puzzle game where the pieces just happen to be syntax instead of red circles like spacechem.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 4, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is the manual available online anywhere? I don't have a printer at home.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The manual is just a pdf in the game directory. Printing it out isn't actually necessary.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I guess you may not need coding experience, but the gameplay is literally ASM coding.

Currently waiting for my prime solution to execute.

Everyones first solution to that took 15+ minutes to terminate right?... right?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Quinton posted:

Evolution of my Prime Number Detector (spoilers):
Brute Force 612319 cycles, 5 nodes, 47 instructions

... faster solutions

I feel a bit bad about my brute force solution now. It quite literally broke the rendering of the result due to the cycle count.
1,242,786 cycles, 8 nodes, 58 instructions

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

To some extent, coding experience can work against you, because while it is assembly language, it's a gamified, simplified instruction set that lacks a number of features folks who do real assembly programming are used to. And of course there are all the other crazy constraints like 15 instructions per node max, only one "general purpose" local register, etc. Which makes for fun puzzles, but seriously, what lunatic designs a computer like that?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Quinton posted:

To some extent, coding experience can work against you, because while it is assembly language, it's a gamified, simplified instruction set that lacks a number of features folks who do real assembly programming are used to. And of course there are all the other crazy constraints like 15 instructions per node max, only one "general purpose" local register, etc. Which makes for fun puzzles, but seriously, what lunatic designs a computer like that?

Finish the game and your questions are answered!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The Sequence Sorter is infuriating. I wish I had FIFOs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hitting f1 brings up most of what you need to know

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Quinton posted:

The Sequence Sorter is infuriating. I wish I had FIFOs.
I think I've settled on the basic architecture I want but I have a feeling my poor grasp on JRO efficiency tricks are going to be my downfall since it depends so much on a master controller tracking the number of writes to out left to go and trying to keep the entire board in sync with JRO communication pulses.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

From the changelog:

quote:

- Definitely did not add a secret puzzle.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

From this morning's changelog

quote:

Definitely didn't improve the input pattern for a hidden puzzle (which definitely doesn't exist).
Anybody locate such a thing? Hints?

I believe I have a workable plan for the horrible sequence sorter that I will attempt this evening.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Quinton posted:

Anybody locate such a thing? Hints?

Check the anti-tamper notification (F2)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Check the anti-tamper notification (F2)

My F2 key wasn't doing anything last night, which was weird. Wonder if I'm bugged.

e: figured it out the F2 key, not the puzzle, yet

Quinton fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 6, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have no idea what it even wants me to do.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Quinton posted:

Well, there was the Connection Machine which consisted of 65536 1-Bit microprocessors, communicating over a Hypercube shaped network.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
There's the GreenArrays CPUs with up to 144 simple cores on a chip, designed by
Chuck Moore the inventor of Forth, but I don't know of anyone using those besides Chuck Moore. Maybe the Parallax Propeller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

GreenArrays was what I thought of immediately upon seeing the TIS-100.

I regret that while I did buy a handful of chips from them a couple years back I have failed to actually build a PCB for them.

Weekend project that has had insufficient weekends allocated to it.

• Locked thread