Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

bolind posted:

I don't have a ton of magic fixes, but could you run a semi-agressive ping towards a trusty host, and demonstrate packet loss over time (let it run over night and/or a weekend.).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to graph both download and upload speed along with ping and sent it to the ISP. After looking at a 7 day period I noticed that the drops would happen about once an hour. Strangely the connection was extremely stable averaging ~900Mbps both down and up on the day July 4th.

I suggested that perhaps they have us on a shared circuit but the tech support insisted that “it’s not possible”. Still having this issue almost a month later but the drops are not as massive and it doesn’t interfere with day to day operations as much now. The ISP has stopped responding to my messages as well so… yeah…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M31
Jun 12, 2012
2.5% packet loss is pretty high and will definitely impact your throughput as TCP will basically half your speed on packet loss. Try running iperf with TCP instead of UDP.

I don't know what kind of shop you are running, but see if there is any high interference machinery/cabling/construction nearby? And test the cables if you haven't done so already by now.

Reminds me a bit of all those stories where the issue was caused by a faulty microwave.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

M31 posted:

2.5% packet loss is pretty high and will definitely impact your throughput as TCP will basically half your speed on packet loss. Try running iperf with TCP instead of UDP.

I don't know what kind of shop you are running, but see if there is any high interference machinery/cabling/construction nearby? And test the cables if you haven't done so already by now.

Reminds me a bit of all those stories where the issue was caused by a faulty microwave.

First thing we tried when the tech came out was replaced the cables. So it's not the cables. The server room doesn't have any high interference things nearby.

Just did another iperf test with TCP instead of UDP and there's no packet loss. I contacted our account manager at the ISP and he said he'll double check that we're not on a shared circuit but never got back to me...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We have 2-3 design folks at our company, and just recently got them totally decked out laptops to handle the big Adobe files they deal with. They're requesting new laptops again because apparently they're too slow, but I think the problem lies in the fact that they're trying to open and collaborate on multi-gig files that live on a file server over a VPN.

How do other folks handle file sharing/collaboration stuff like that? We don't want to use a Windows file server for it anymore because the VPN is just going to make it slow to a crawl, and Sharepoint doesn't play very nice with Adobe suite software.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Count Thrashula posted:

We have 2-3 design folks at our company, and just recently got them totally decked out laptops to handle the big Adobe files they deal with. They're requesting new laptops again because apparently they're too slow, but I think the problem lies in the fact that they're trying to open and collaborate on multi-gig files that live on a file server over a VPN.

How do other folks handle file sharing/collaboration stuff like that? We don't want to use a Windows file server for it anymore because the VPN is just going to make it slow to a crawl, and Sharepoint doesn't play very nice with Adobe suite software.

I'm not familiar with Adobe specifically, but other companies that have large files like this typically have their own solution to the problem; like Solidworks has a specific program that handles file storage, management and collaboration. So, I'd check and see what Adobe has to offer (and if it sucks or not...)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We used onedrive at my old place for the marketing guys.

Comedy option is git-lfs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adobe talks like they know people have nowhere else to go for the software they make. Their official guidance on files is "lol only use local storage, what do you mean you work at a company?". But anything is going to be better than SMB over a VPN.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How big of files are we talking here? And how much total? Do they hop to random files often or are they generally working within specific collections of files (like a project)?

But yeah, you're probably not the only one who has run into this. If you do some research for your specific use case, someone is probably talking about it online.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've dealt with it previously and it's either gonna be where the files are local (OneDrive or a cached file share such as BranchCache) or you're looking at a VDI type solution.

Doing Adobe work with large files over a VPN is horrible.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

Our video guys work on site every day for this reason. When they work remotely they copy down the file, work locally, and push it back at the end of the day.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

VDI/Remote desktop type of scenario is basically the only way to keep your sanity if you can't control the endpoint network capabilities (ie: if it's a work from home/remote situation).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Doing Adobe work with large files over a VPN is horrible.
Any kind of work on large files over SMB is going to be painful, VPN or no.

You need some sort of check-out/check-in system where files are stored locally while they're worked on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Right. Previous job we had a vault for Solidworks. This one we just have VDI (Citrix).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Adobe talks like they know people have nowhere else to go for the software they make. Their official guidance on files is "lol only use local storage, what do you mean you work at a company?". But anything is going to be better than SMB over a VPN.

SMB over azure file shares with kerberos auth. Might be pricey but will solve the security\bandwidth problem.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Explaining that file shares never did well over the internet was not something I ever successfully was able to do.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

SMB over azure file shares with kerberos auth. Might be pricey but will solve the security\bandwidth problem.

maybe the security problem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

whatever solution you come up with it needs to

a: cache locally and
b: lock files or sync changes or otherwise manage change conflicts

no form of smb meets either requirement

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
One of our employees is collaborating with another organisation and they have supplied him with a link to download "CitrixWorkspaceApp.exe" to gain access to their environment. I've never had anything to do with Citrix is there any harm in him installing this on his machine? I'm assuming it's just something like an RDP session into their world but does it have any tendrils that hook into the machine for RMM or something that could conflict with our builds?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

its fine, it's just the client for a citrix vdi

i say vdi but if they're using citrix it's probably on a physical server somewhere

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
(Cross-posting with a couple of threads because I figure someone might have an opinion…)

I am pricing out internet for a new office we are opening in downtown Chicago and I’m comparing against AT&T and Comcast.

Assuming they both offer the same speed tiers, same dedicated fiber circuit and pricing is close to the same, what else should I consider when choosing between the two? The only other things I *think* I care about is uptime/SLA and quality of customer service. What else am I missing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I care about IPv6 but you might not. I'd also spend a bit of time digging around to see if there's a small local fibre provider.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

See who's providing the last mile to your office. I have one branch that has "redundant" connections (ATT and Comcast) and Comcast is providing last mile for both....

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Note to self, giving an AD server a long host name in combination with an admin account with many letters is not a good idea when joining Linux computers to a domain or promoting domain controllers.

The one who gets my position when I finally leave this place is going to feel like the thread title.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

2024 is the year of decommissioning on prem AD here :pray:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anybody have a recommendation for a shop in Chicago that can do a very basic network build out for the small non-profit I work for? I would do it myself except I don’t live in Chicago…

Would involve:
Installing 9U rack
Installing Patch panel
5 x CAT6 runs (APs + 1 Xerox)
Installing + configuring UDM SE + 4 x APs

Space is being built out now so this would all be before drywall goes in.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Do you have a GC for the build out? If so I'd call them first, they may have subs they can recommend or like to work with.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Albinator posted:

Do you have a GC for the build out? If so I'd call them first, they may have subs they can recommend or like to work with.
We probably won’t be going with them, so looking for other options.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dexter6 posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a shop in Chicago that can do a very basic network build out for the small non-profit I work for? I would do it myself except I don’t live in Chicago…

Would involve:
Installing 9U rack
Installing Patch panel
5 x CAT6 runs (APs + 1 Xerox)
Installing + configuring UDM SE + 4 x APs

Space is being built out now so this would all be before drywall goes in.

So, you're just looking for the install not the configure?

These guys are my preferred data cablers, I've used them for years at various jobs: https://www.buzzfile.com/business/Crow-Communications-847-813-9618

Last I talked to Eli was a few years ago and they were booked for months, so might not have availability. I've got another crew that I'm using for the first time right now, we didn't get a choice otherwise I would have called Eli, but the limited work they've done so far seems fine. I'll dig up there info and update here.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 23, 2023

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

MF_James posted:

So, you're just looking for the install not the configure?

These guys are my preferred data cablers, I've used them for years at various jobs: https://www.buzzfile.com/business/Crow-Communications-847-813-9618

Last I talked to Eli was a few years ago and they were booked for months, so might not have availability. I've got another crew that I'm using for the first time right now, we didn't get a choice otherwise I would have called Eli, but the limited work they've done so far seems fine. I'll dig up there info and update here.
I do need them to configure. I mean, I can give them the config files but I am out of state and won’t be able to be hands on at all.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

dexter6 posted:

I do need them to configure. I mean, I can give them the config files but I am out of state and won’t be able to be hands on at all.

Ahhh I might be able to hook you up with an MSP but I am not sure if any of the ones I know also handle cabling. I mean, you could try and see if Eli and his crew can help but I've never asked them to do technical stuff so not sure if they would/do or not.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Re: internet chat in Chicago - might give Cogent a shot, they just use whatever local provider, give a discount, and handle the support themselves. They've been alright in Chicago and Dallas where I've used them.

Re: small cabling job, my company does that if MF James's ideas don't pan out, but might be too small for us.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

yeah I can't find the info on the crew, and after going through their work... I'm less than pleased, we had to have them re-punch like 30% of the jacks they did so they can gently caress off for not testing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MF_James posted:

I'm less than pleased, we had to have them re-punch like 30% of the jacks they did so they can gently caress off for not testing.

Like every electrician doing "low voltage" cabling because it's super easy with no risk of being electrocuted then loving it up because they don't understand data cabling

e: also I don't know why electricians are allergic to port numbering on patch panels

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 5, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Electricians seem particularly bad at ranting when people do DIY electrics but then taking a "it's just wires, how hard can it be" approach to data cabling and RF distribution.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a Synology NAS with approx 25 TB of video that the video producers want to access remotely. They don't want to actually work on the files remotely (God bless) but they want to do things like rename files, move to different folders, etc. At first was going to do the Synology quickconnect dealy but our outsourced SOC has Concerns. We're all totally SaaS other than this thing - do I really need to set up a VPN into here for them to access, or is quickconnect fine? I can require MFA on it and Synology has something in the middle so it's not like the NAS itself is directly exposed to the WAN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can the work that needs doing be done through the built-in file browser web app? You could then expose that through a reverse proxy.

If you’re a Windows shop then Entra Private Access works with SMB so it’s worth testing to see if the performance is there.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Can the work that needs doing be done through the built-in file browser web app? You could then expose that through a reverse proxy.

If you’re a Windows shop then Entra Private Access works with SMB so it’s worth testing to see if the performance is there.

Yes it can be done through the browser app (quickconnect) but they’re worried about it for some reason.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dans Macabre posted:

I have a Synology NAS with approx 25 TB of video that the video producers want to access remotely. They don't want to actually work on the files remotely (God bless) but they want to do things like rename files, move to different folders, etc. At first was going to do the Synology quickconnect dealy but our outsourced SOC has Concerns. We're all totally SaaS other than this thing - do I really need to set up a VPN into here for them to access, or is quickconnect fine? I can require MFA on it and Synology has something in the middle so it's not like the NAS itself is directly exposed to the WAN.

Tried the Synology Drive Client?
Takes space on the hard drive of the user, but apparently on the fly downloads work for windows. Should also work for Macs but not in a particularly flexible way.
It is basically the synology version of Box/OneDrive.
Quick connect is ok, but slow. Works better through a VPN, since quick connect works by running a outward VPN to a synology server (which I realized when our Watchguard blocked the outward connection and I had to add an exception in the firewall)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dans Macabre posted:

Yes it can be done through the browser app (quickconnect) but they’re worried about it for some reason.

Probably because there have been plenty of vulnerabilities with that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MF_James posted:

Probably because there have been plenty of vulnerabilities with that stuff.

Sorry but I really have to know your opinions on antivirus and security.