Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SneakyFrog posted:

I know it sounds surprising, but backing up 16 petabytes of information usually requires somewhere around 16 PB.

This utterly useful fact is brought to you by dotheneedful.com and mybossdonwannaspendmoney.org

i can think of plenty of ways to generate 16 PB but how does that intertwine with 'small shop administrator' because that has me curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Tots posted:

Hey guys. I have a chance to get into a sysadmin job for ~80 users. As far as I know, I would be the only one there although I've been told there's budget for temporary consultants if I need help with something. This is for a new contract in a new building and I'd basically be setting things up from the ground up.. Nothing is in place yet. No domain, no ticketing system, etc.. Does this sound like a good opportunity or a death wish?

Both.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
or just tell special Mac snowflakes to get hosed this isnt hard

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

McDeth posted:

I really don't get the Mac hate here. Well, I mean I understand it, but what kills me is that we're supposed to be helping end users directly here and because this is the SMALL SHOP ADMIN THREAD, that usually means having to do stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with if you had a job at a >100 person company's IT Department.

For example, I loving loath Apple. I hated dealing with their smarmy, uppity piece of poo poo sales & support people and hated when their overly complicated, under-ventilated over-priced iMacs ALWAYS had a part die to heat exhaustion. I hated having to call in to their stupid, loving bullshit corporate stores and make stupid loving appointments 3 days out just so that one of their genius retards could diagnose an obviously bad hard drive and tell me it would take 3 days to fix.

But then I grew a pair, went on-line, looked at how loving easier their products are to disassemble, and literally made a 4 day turnaround job a 20 minute fix.

So unless you're dealing with something you literally can't repair, saying that you provide ZERO hardware support to your users in a SMALL SHOP is basically telling your end users to go gently caress themselves.

/rant

when youre manpower and money limited as small shops are is it even more important to standardize on equipment and avoid special snowflakes like Macs

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah a lot of people in science choose osx and there are very good reasons for it.

In a normal "office" type environment, macs are pretty worthless and trying to integrate them with the rest of the infrastructure is kinda a waste of time. But if you're dealing with scientists a lot of them are going to be using macs because they really are the best machine for the job, and I found this out first hand when I was doing physics research. You can just carry one laptop and use it to run all your simulations on, and check your email, and watch netflix, and use excel. Nothing else will let you do all that easily.

is this because there is some OS X only software for the simulations

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

No it's just the fact that you can run any unix software you need on it natively.

Like for example the software I use to reduce astronomical images is like 35 years old and cryptic as gently caress but it's a breeze to get it installed on osx. Usually unix science stuff is offered with readymade binaries for mac users as well.

That means you can just have one computer and do all your work on it, no messing around with VMs or a second laptop or whatever for stuff that won't run on linux.

okay thanks i actually enjoy learning about the edge cases where these things make sense

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
lol if youre not deploying machines with ssds anyways

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
if youre a MSP/VAR you should definitely be buying whatever with rotational and then upselling them the SSD yourself gently caress paying Dell or whoever for that

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

frogbert posted:

Yeah but you're not really paying for the drive so much as the NBD swap out if one breaks.

Sure an aftermarket one is cheaper but when you have to mail it in to get a replacement it kind of sucks.

if you're even the slightest bit competent you'll have either extra drives or workstations and have the broken machine back up within a few hours

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Get real APs and stop using wireless on Sonicwalls

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone have any experience with Kasaya, SysAid, Connectwise + Labtech, Samanage?

full featured
easy to use
affordable

pick one

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Just want to give a big shout out to HP ~enterprise~ and their horrible web site.

it makes Lenovo's website look polished.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
tell him he needs 8 of them for a bite.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
5 Years Experience with Microsoft LibreOffice 2012

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
um we don't use the spanish version of Office here

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

blowfish posted:

name recognition for nerds.

you guessed it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
on the contrary thats a really polite and professional way of telling someone to gently caress off

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

dexter6 posted:

nor do I want to get a $10,000/year 30-year lease on a Xerox machine

This is exactly what you want to do since it makes it all someone else's problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh, if it's corporate owned devices and those numbers belong to the company, then I don't really have any objections. You'll lose some metrics you might want to have, some IVR features, and things like hunt groups, assistant pairing features, voicemail to email, delegation, etc. But objections were really rooted around using personal numbers.

I have a client who is doing the worst of both worlds: personal phone reimbursements and corporate issued, unmanaged devices.

I wonder how tall the stack of locked devices will get before they come to Jesus.