Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I figured I might ask here because this one has me stumped.

I'm working in an organisation with around 70 users and as many laptops. A few users are having issues because certain group policies are just not applied to certain workstations.

It looks like the default polices at the root of the domain are visible but all user polices under an OU are invisible when the user logs into the machine.

I've verified the user is in the correct OU and the machine is in it's correct OU, and when the user logs into another machine they get their policies just fine.

Group Policy Modeling shows that the policies should be applied, but Group Policy Results shows they are totally ignored. They don't even show up in "Denied GPOs"

Nothing shows up in the Event Logs and I get the same result no matter what DC is handing out the policies.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

frogbert posted:

I figured I might ask here because this one has me stumped.

I'm working in an organisation with around 70 users and as many laptops. A few users are having issues because certain group policies are just not applied to certain workstations.

It looks like the default polices at the root of the domain are visible but all user polices under an OU are invisible when the user logs into the machine.

I've verified the user is in the correct OU and the machine is in it's correct OU, and when the user logs into another machine they get their policies just fine.

Group Policy Modeling shows that the policies should be applied, but Group Policy Results shows they are totally ignored. They don't even show up in "Denied GPOs"

Nothing shows up in the Event Logs and I get the same result no matter what DC is handing out the policies.

Any ideas?

I figured out this issue in the shower last night, and confirmed my suspicions this morning. The workstation had a policy applied to it that set Group Policy Loopback processing to "Replace".

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

go3 posted:

if youre a MSP/VAR you should definitely be buying whatever with rotational and then upselling them the SSD yourself gently caress paying Dell or whoever for that

Yeah but you're not really paying for the drive so much as the NBD swap out if one breaks.

Sure an aftermarket one is cheaper but when you have to mail it in to get a replacement it kind of sucks.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I'm currently using N-Central.

So far I haven't had any major issues. I don't pay the bill so I have no idea of what costs what.

The Bitdefender AV isn't as good as Trend in my opinion, especially with respect to the exchange antispam/virus product. Also I know the licensing for exchange protection is kind of lame, my understanding is it is licensed per mailbox, but that includes discovery mailboxes and equipment mailboxes. So if an organisation uses equipment mailboxes heavily the cost goes right up.

The latest version on N-Central (10) is much better then their last version. You'll want to get good with powershell too to really get automation under control.

They have a built in automation manager that lets you do automation scripts with a GUI, it's pretty lacking at the moment and needs a bit of work with the user interface. For example you can't move program code blocks around, so if you get something set up all nice and realise it should be in a nested If function you have to re-create it, you can't just drag it down.

Basically the only thing I use the Automation manager for is to encapsulate my powershell scripts into an AMP file when I want to make a custom service that returns values into N-Central.

Patch management takes a while to get your head around too.

I've found support to be pretty good. I mostly talk to techs in the Philippines due to my timezone however I've called their US number and got through to a US tech too. Their support portal is a bit of a mess but you get the hang of it.

They have daily Q&A sessions with a support tech so you can just decide to drop in and ask a question without logging a ticket which I find really useful.

They have an initial training program when you first get the product that takes you through the software, it's pretty important for everyone to attend it because there are concepts in the software (Filters, Rules and Service Templates) that you need to get your head around to correctly use the software.

If you have any questions I'm happy to give you my opinion.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Why is my GPO to push o365 click to run not working but gpresult says it's applying the policy and the script works great when running manually :'(

It may be that the local system account that the script is running as isn't able to access a network resource that the script relies on. Or the script is relying on an environment variable or path that is different for that account.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zakutambah posted:

Anyone in here have any recommendations for vendors of refurbed hardware? Dell servers, Cisco gear, and the like?

In the US, specifically. I've just moved here from overseas, so building the local knowledge of decent IT shops/vendors back up.

And just became the sole member of what was a non-existent IT dept until now, so I'm sure this'll be a relevant thread for the occasional cry in.
(("We don't need to be updating that creaky ol' Dell running Server 03. It's running just fine. Juuust fiiiine... why is the file share so damned slow!?"))

Is the place a not for profit?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Crosspostin' this from another thread hoping to get it in front of some more eyes:

I have a conundrum: The software ("i-cens") that our security people use to view/access video streams from our security cameras is complete poo poo. The PC that it's currently running on is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced. I figured 'hey, I'll just install this crap on another PC and we'll be good to go'. Nope, the software will install, but when it connects to our lovely chinese dvrs (made by some company called Eyemax), the streams just show up as black squares. The streams are working perfectly fine when viewed through a browser, but that aint good enough for the security staff, they dont want to learn anything new and the browser window doesnt let them view enough cameras at once. The funny thing is, when using i-cens, you can look at past recordings and they show up perfectly normal, the problem only happens with the live streams. I've installed the software on 3 different PCs, all with the same result. I've contacted Eyemax and they pointed me to a fix (copy a provided .ini file to c:\windows, overwriting their existing one) but it doesnt fix poo poo.

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

Could try disabling Aero. What kind of video card do they have in the working machine vs the new ones?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Super Slash posted:

I need a reality check.

Our small finance department uses SAGE Accounts 50, Sage drive or whatever the hosting package is running from the managers Laptop. I want to install Sage and the data service on a server VM and migrate the company data to it, and have everyone connect to it as clients and do whatever is it they do.

No matter what I've said she won't budge about migrating off the laptop, every time she wants to upload data she takes it offline then feeds it data which locks out all other users until they re-establish a connection and re-sync their copy of the data. Now I don't know much about Sage, but a server host is the sensible thing to do right? No amount of telling her she's pissing off her staff and having the company data on a laptop without proper backup is extremely vulnerable to being lost (this is a person who had to be system restored maybe five times this year), yes the data gets backed up to "The Cloud" with the cloud being your loving laptop.

"Well what happens if it breaks and I lose connection and can't get back in?"
You have a VPN connection if you don't have Wi-Fi nearby that's your problem, and even if something did break like you'd be able to do anything about it.

Next time her laptop has an issue tell her all her data is gone and you're going to have to restore from backup.

You can go over her head, I'm sure the owner would mind if that laptop got left on a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Let's say I have an RDS server that is accessible directly from the WAN and it's getting hit with brute force attacks. Other than AD lockout rules is there anything I can do at the perimeter to somehow say "if you put the wrong password in too many times we're just going to block your IP address for a few days" I'm guessing no because how would my firewall know that AD is rejecting the password?

asking for a friend who can't put RDS behind a vpn.

You can also just change the port forward in the router. It's still visible to the world but it's unlikely any brute force scripts will try non-standard ports.