Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My company uses Nextiva, but I don't know about their outside the US coverage. We have one guy in the UK and he uses a soft phone on his laptop.

I used to be in our helpdesk call center until a few months ago, and the hardware phones they gave were fine. I'm using the iOS app now since I get maybe a call a week now. My only complaint is that some of the things I'd like to admin I have to put in a ticket with their support for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My boss wants me to make a script that will rebuild a Linux system on failure. One part of that is recreating a SSH account to connect to other systems. That would involve a SSH private and public key being stored somewhere. I'm trying to avoid checking in a private key into Git of course.

Is Conjur any good as a secrets storage system? I'm been looking at it, but it seems like yet another under documented piece of open source software, and I don't want to invest the time in learning it unless it's worth it..

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

I wouldn't reuse the private key. Regenerate a new keypair on build, and have the new public key added where it needs to be. That has some assumptions about the other systems you are connecting to though.

That's a good idea, thanks. I'm going to do that instead for this case.

But is there any recommendations for secrets storage? There are other text files on servers I'm supposed to check into git that have some passwords that I don't want there. Conjur seems like the answer to this, but the installation instructions are just "lol use our Docker walkthrough demo setup".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven't been able to login to MiLB.com, and their reset password email never delivers. It's been that way for months, and I want to do some baseball this summer now that we'll be vaxxed!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

redeyes posted:

Depends on which model. There is a printer shortage going on. You might need to make that one last longer.

Eh, I’ll just have my friend carry his printer over from his dorm room.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bolind posted:

Has anyone here actually understood ssh certificates? I'm reading about them and it seems smart, but I hit my dumb wall/no one can explain things in simple terms.

In particular, I would love if they could integrate with FreeIPA, somehow.

I have to second this, including IPA. Last week/this weekend/Monday I had to deal with expiring certificates. My network admin was talking about doing it with me (I was going to just use Ansible to move them into place), but he never got around to buying them until the last business day. So I had to scramble to put them into place last minute. NA even the balls to ask me at 4:55 if I planned to work last weekend on a Skype call with my boss.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bolind posted:

Do you have ssh certs up and running? I can’t even understand them/make a PoC in a lab setting.

I ended up with an Ansible playbook/role that put them into these places on the systems:
Centos / Redhat:
/etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors/
update-ca-trust

Ubuntu:
/usr/local/share/ca-certificates/
update-ca-certificate

The "update-ca-*" command makes them take effect on the systems. Our certificates were the bundles for these locations, and there was a single cert/key pair that was put in other locations for nginx, load balancers, and some of the web servers (librenms, graylog, etc).

I also have a question for this thread, but on another subject. What is a good, open source, tracker of systems' OSs and updates? My boss wants a summary of which systems are running Ubuntu 20, 18 (god help me there's a 16 in there), Centos 8/7, etc, and have it all on one page/portal. Our firewall can do it, but for a price, so that's not going to work for us.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sheep posted:

Our current process is to use an Ansible playbook that gathers host facts, dumps them into a CSV, then uses Snipe-IT's API to update any changed asset info, so we have real-time data on all our machines whenever we want. It's simple enough that we could include package/version information if we cared (we don't).

We’re using Snipe-IT too, and I would love this, but it is way beyond my skill level. Plus our Snipe system doesn’t include the instances in Openstack, VMs, etc. Hell, just the CSV would be better than the nothing we have now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ansible I'm fine with, but it's API calls I've hardly ever done. Plus the problem with not all our Ansible targets not being in Snipe-IT.

I was just looking into AWX/Ansible Tower, but it seems that they don't have a summary of Ansible Facts unfortunately. We still got to get around to installing that too...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to test Prometheus and Grafana, as a way to A. consolidate OS stats B. replace LibreNMS as our monitor and alerting tool.

What I can't really tell from the documentation is how I should construct this environment. Do I install Prometheus on every node in our infrastructure, or just the exporter? Does the "monitor" system use Prometheus to grab from all those exporters, or do I have Grafana add each node's Grafana server as a Data Source? Or is it just one Prometheus server getting all the exporter information and passing that one Prometheus server as a single Data Source?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been tasked with making a report email based on a certain type of ticket we have in our system (querying the postgres database directly). My company is cheap and does open source everything, mostly for being cheap rather than things being open source. So that means when I was tasked this, and wanted it to look nicer than a bash script outputting text, I was told to use Jaspersoft Studio Community Edition. This program looks like hot garbage, and hasn't been updated in years. There's got to be something better, but my DBA who's been working with this program for a while said he couldn't find anything. Please help me to not use this program, someone, I beg you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sudo bash
Done.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nvrgrls posted:

So after years in MSP Land I'm back in house... And I need something to track inventory. Our MSP has Automate and ITGlue but I want something separate. What should I use? I'd really like something where I can put in the serials and it will barf out when my warranties are up, or that hooks in to Endpoint Manager and sucks stuff out of there.

What I need to track: laptops (all remote), desktops, mobile devices (all remote), network hardware. No servers, bless.

Free and not that great is Snipe-IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Any recommendations for ticketing software that's open source and preferably free? My company (20 people onsite, 30 offsite) uses a combination of two programs that have their plusses, but the minuses are starting to overweigh them:

SolarWind's WebHelpDesk:
+ Great UI
+ Can add parts and labor times to tickets very easily, in case of sending charges to clients.
- Pain in the rear end to update (we're using a custom image in a Kubernetes setup)
- Company is under SEC review.

Request Tracker:
+ Free
- God the UI sucks.
- Hard to search for a ticket.
- God the UI sucks.
- Is it even really maintained anymore?

So basically I want everyone on the same ticketing software. From stuff that deals with clients, tickets for the software developers/Infrastructure people to put their work into, and a way to tally up hours/replacement parts for billing. Inventory management would be a huge plus, and reports. There's a lot of options out there, so it's a bit overwhelming, and I don't know which one would have all the features we need.