Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

I split things across UPS and mains, because then you can do UPS maintenance without shutting everything down. Upgrade from that would be a transfer switch so that things can drop to mains if the UPS goes out. Gold standard is two UPSes.

This only really works if your power is somewhat clean though, if your mains supply regularly spikes then you will probably want to sacrifice the UPS rather than all your servers.

When doing UPS maint, couldn't you shut down power supply 2, move it to main, bring it back up, then shut down and maintain UPS, moving the PSU back to it after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mewse posted:

Our xerox photocopier seems to be screwing up the dns resolution of the office 365 smtp server about like 5-10% when doing scan to email. We have it set to use google dns (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) but when I ping smtp.office365.com on my desktop, it seems to lag to resolve the address. The dns records also seem screwy to me (via dig in google toolbox):

code:
;QUESTION
smtp.office365.com. IN A
;ANSWER
smtp.office365.com. 300 IN CNAME outlook.office365.com.
outlook.office365.com. 300 IN CNAME outlook.ms-acdc.office.com.
outlook.ms-acdc.office.com. 57 IN CNAME LYH-efz.ms-acdc.office.com.
LYH-efz.ms-acdc.office.com. 7 IN A 52.96.119.82
LYH-efz.ms-acdc.office.com. 7 IN A 52.96.97.130
LYH-efz.ms-acdc.office.com. 7 IN A 52.96.183.226
LYH-efz.ms-acdc.office.com. 7 IN A 52.96.182.2
Three CNAMEs and four A records??

Anyway the vendor has suggested to replace smtp.office365.com with a direct IP address - it seems to be working for now - but I hate that solution because the hostname can resolve to several different server IPs and is constantly being updated by MS.

Any of you guys dealt with something like this?

You could just stop doing authenticated SMTP for your scanners unless they need to scan outside your tenant.
You can just use domain-tld.mail.protection.outlook.com for your SMTP server over 25, and it goes through just fine so long as it stays in org.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mewse posted:

Is there any documentation on how this setup works / what this setup is supposed to be used for? I did find the xxx.mail.protection.outlook.com hostname for our o365 tenant and it only resolves to a single IP address with no CNAMEs, I'm just wondering about why it would accept smtp submissions on port 25 with no authentication.

e: hmm this looks like it has the details

That article has been the gold standard for years, yeah.
It is 100% only useful for mail that stays in your org, and you need to have the locations using it set in your SPF record, as unknown said, but it's amazing at what it does.
Doesn't matter what you put in the reply to address, doesn't even have to be an address that exists, so long as it's in your tenant.
Mostly it's meant for stuff like scan to email, email alerts from legacy systems that stay in org, that kind of thing. It's absolute magic for its use cases.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MF_James posted:

This isn't 100% true, you absolutely CANNOT use an address that exists as a user.

Also, O365s spam filter loves to catch the emails so you might have to do some work there as well to get the mail to get passed to mailboxes.

This is probably true, I've never tried to use an existing address as the reply to.
Now I want to, to see exactly how it breaks.
I haven't had any trouble with the spam filter, but I've really only used it for scan to email on MFPs and contact us links on websites. gently caress everything about giving third party web devs credentials without MFA.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thanks Ants posted:

Print server you can do as long as you enable branch office remote printing and the network supports it.

Door entry I would check that it’s supported by the vendor and that the door controllers can cache things in case the VPN drops.

To echo part of this - a lot of physical security stuff (door entry, cameras, etc) was written last century and relies heavily on broadcast to do anything, so it's not going to play over VPN.
I'm in favor for small, cheap on site servers for apps with minimal load, like security and print servers.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

bolind posted:

Had my first “terminate ALL of this guy’s accounts IMMEDIATELY” email today.

The fun ones are the phone calls the night before that start with "How fast can you move if we have to take action on $C-Level?"
That or "We just fired dude, his computer is still unlocked, can you remote in quick?"

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I received requests for two 11x17 printers recently. Legit requests, the guys really need them.
loving things just don't exist right now for whatever reason.
I finally managed to scrounge up two reconditioned ones on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Gorson posted:

Anyone have a HIPAA compliance guideline that's easy for clients to understand? Something I can quickly quote or copy/paste from instead of having to explain every time?

For me, the answer to this has always been "I'm going to do my best practices and they're probably compliant, but if your business requires compliance, you should hire a specialized consultant that can tell me exactly what needs to be changed. I am not an expert in that compliance field and will not certify that my work meets the ever changing landscape of compliance guidelines.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
There's been a big consolidation movement in the MSP space lately. Big players previously not in the space are buying up small shops and exploiting economy of scale to get a unified national presence. Sharp is one, quality varies on the market.
https://www.sharp-sbs.com/Managed-Services/Managed-IT-Services

As a previous poster said, quality varies A LOT by market. I'd personally advise against small locals who were a computer fix it shop 10 years ago and lateraled into the MSP market when remote connectivity made it possible, as they tend to be a poo poo show, but some are gold.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MF_James posted:

Hey I just left Sharp after they purchased our MSP out of chicagoland like 2 years ago. They aren't too bad, but yeah it really depends on the area. Our "branch" was basically covering a ton of other ones because we actually had good engineers and our helpdesk was pretty good as far as outsourced helpdesk goes. Sadly, the Chicago branch is falling apart, they've lost 4 engineers including me, a bunch of senior HD folks and the engineering manager just left.

Their california branches are pretty good, I did some travel with some of their folks and the manager there was a smart and driven dude, so they're prospering out west from what I can tell.

Avoid Impact Networking, they're loving scum, we had a senior sales guy come in a few months before I left Sharp and he had some loving stories about that place.

If you're chicago/north midwest I can give some reqs as well.

Man we've been over this, we just forget each other's usernames. I'm still using Sharp for running backups, they're fine for that.
The MSP we worked at before that is getting a little thin for talent too.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I5 11th gen or better, 16GB, 256+ nvme.
The office suite in particular needs at least 16GB RAM to not run like poo poo.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

incoherent posted:

You have been visited by the blessed private equity angle...angel. I will tolerate veeams licensing because it has consistently worked (and, more importantly, restored) for years. The game has changed a bit and I should take my blinders off to see whos the new game in town.

Datto is making some serious inroads.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

nvrgrls posted:

I still haven't done this lol

Our top contenders are 8x8 and RingCentral. What can I say, I like RingCentral's hold music because I'm a basic bitch. It's no Opus Number One though ofc.

8x8 if you like the feature set.
It's easy to use, and I get minimum bullshit from my sales guy, as opposed to ring central, who tried to upsell me like twice a month.
If course, one time I forgot who my sales guy was and it took me a month of working with their support to figure it out, so you make sacrifices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Re: internet chat in Chicago - might give Cogent a shot, they just use whatever local provider, give a discount, and handle the support themselves. They've been alright in Chicago and Dallas where I've used them.

Re: small cabling job, my company does that if MF James's ideas don't pan out, but might be too small for us.