Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Hey guys. I have a chance to get into a sysadmin job for ~80 users. As far as I know, I would be the only one there although I've been told there's budget for temporary consultants if I need help with something. This is for a new contract in a new building and I'd basically be setting things up from the ground up.. Nothing is in place yet. No domain, no ticketing system, etc.. Does this sound like a good opportunity or a death wish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Good news! I just found out that there is potential that a second person would be there as well. If I am the only person, then yes I would be the one stop IT shop. I also just found out that it will be a call center, so I think that should make things easier...Maybe?

The fact that it's being built from scratch with a real budget is what's attracting me to this. The current environment I'm in is the biggest IT clusterfuck that I could possibly imagine and the idea of setting something up right with all streamlined centralized automated processes gives me a boner. Just to give you an idea, on multiple occasions I've had to visit upwards of 20 workstations to do things like "update adobe" or "create a shortcut for the new network drive" per my supervisor's instruction.

E: Also, if I do get this position then expect me to be in this thread documenting the process and asking for advice throughout. :D :D