Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

Well this thread escalated quickly; I was just going to complain about a new person who can't figure out how to use our phones, and consistently puts calls on loud speaker for the first few hellos then to headset mode.

Oh and absolutely every last crumb of equipment must be re-used, I should run the concept of spares by them sometime.

I hate nothing more than this. I'm so glad my new boss is on-board with the notion of getting rid of poo poo, because we have a ton of worthless crap we don't need. We have ~100 PCs company wide, and probably 400 extra mice / keyboards in varying refurbished states, plus modems, switches, routers, monitors, 128 mb sticks of memory, power strips that were probably bought in a gas station in the 1990s, etc. etc. Our end-users don't want reused poo poo we recovered from a closed store, and I don't want to get called every other weak because the replacement we put in was used and went bad too. Budget a little more for replacements and throw this poo poo out and save the difference in labor costs and happier end-users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beefstorm posted:

So, if we have 6 IT staff, banned from thread?

My reality ATM. I just opened my desk drawer (I don't think I have ever opened them) to find a sealed box ValueRAM 128MB 133MHz SDRAM stick. Not only purchased...but never used.

A new desk was installed some time ago, and the store couldn't print suddenly. Hop in the car, get to the location, check the connection. Huh, this printer has two Ethernet cables plugged in? I follow one back, behind the desk, down to the floor, around the bend, back up towards the PC... and straight over to the printer. :doh: Not gonna print much plugged into itself folks.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spreadsheets and word documents here. :smithicide:

I've been doing my best to keep things up to date and organized, but man it's gotta be a skill to write documentation that is comprehensive while also concise and understandable to newcomers in 4 years without further explanation. Especially concerned given that we're a two man department so "IT being wiped out by a car" is a very real possibility.