Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I just got laid off from my NOC/Sysadmin (really sysadmin, but our titles were in the NOC) job at a very very large MSP datacenter, and honestly I kinda want to find a small shop to work for. So much poo poo is done wrong because "that's how it's always been done" at my old job and I feel like in a small shop at least I might have some possibility of the higher ups actually listening to me and implementing changes that will, you know, increase productivity. And decrease downtime. And maybe make stuff secure, because... well let's just say that I wasn't completely comfortable with the security at my previous job.

poo poo is far more likely to be done to some kind of standard in a large shop than it is in a small shop. You struggle for resources in small shops and so cutting corners becomes the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Not only that, even if everybody recognizes that something is lovely, you don't have the time/resources to fix it while also handling the day-to-day workload.

My shop transitioned from a 1 man team to a 3 man team, and now that I have resources, I've found myself cussing at my own past corner cutting, but it was necessary at the time.

The guy who held my position previous to me was even a more notorious corner cutter, and I used to be livid at the slapdash way he did things, but after two years of being on my own I kinda get it now. He was driven to it, and he had no support from his superiors. They still view IT as "Computer mumbo jumbo" and not as the lynchpin to their entire working organization.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Active Directory makes more sense than Open Directory since more stuff integrates with it, though I appreciate the cost to get going is quite steep once you buy CALs etc. How do you currently authenticate to file shares etc?

Meraki MX does work fine with Azure, it just isn't on Microsoft's list. It's just an IPSec VPN tunnel so you really shouldn't have issues with getting anything connected to it, at least nothing that reading the logs from your UTM appliance and Googling around won't be able to fix.

Don't forget that pretty much everyone runs AD. This means any goofy hosed up AD error you are getting has already been fixed a million times. I love oddball solutions as much as the next guy until I'm trying to find an answer to an error message w/o shelling out $1000 of support phone calls.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Swink posted:

We're only doing office. Mail is staying in-house. I'm only interested in this stuff as in pertains to staff using The office suite.

and here we are in scenic opposite land.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gerdalti posted:

Ah, yes, in that scenario this is what I've done.

it's a stupid goddamn scenario.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sheep posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity to me. Clean start means you get to do things right the first time instead of trying to clean up the messes your predecessors have left behind.

The only thing that concerns me is the fact that you used sysadmin, 80 users, and ticketing system all in the same thought. So you're going to be this organization's one-stop IT shop? It's not an unreasonable task or anything but it does demand that you set realistic goals instead of waltzing in on day one and trying to setup AD plus ticketing plus remote support plus asset tracking plus god knows what else.

I'd suggest having them hire an outside contractor for 2-6 months during the initial setup period so you can have someone setup all the PC's etc while you focus on domain controller/ticket system/mail system/etc.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I have never understood VDI with laptops. I think HP made a laptop thin client a while back that didn't have a 3G/4G modem in, which seemed completely pointless to me.

Eh. We opted out of that crap because verizon wants an extra line fee. They already have smartphones, we'll just tether.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I was trying to wrap up a 3-week project while my wife was literally laboring on a birthing ball in the living room, but then the company left me alone for 2 weeks and then asked me to take the rest of the week when I tried to come back. Sorry to hear that your boss sucks rear end.

One of my previous jobs had someone call me with a critical VMware issue about 4 hours before I got married. Our monitoring system alerted me first, though, and it was already fixed by the time they got through to me, so I was able to just yell "IT'S ALREADY FIXED" and dramatically hang up the phone

My last vacation I just turned off my phone for most of it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

First of all keychain sucks.

Secondly I seriously think it's okay to expect Mac users to be a little more technical than the Windows users if you're running a mostly-Windows shop. For example the other day someone on a Mac gave a Windows guy an HFS+ formatted flash drive and Windows guy got mad that he can't open it. Mac guy should be aware of things like that and adjust accordingly.

Don't get me wrong I love my Macbook Air (and would use it more often it vsphere had a fat client for it or if the vsphere web client wasn't poo poo (is it still poo poo?)) but if you're in the minority you need to know how to remain compatible with the rest of the org.

I simplify by just not letting people use macs. If someone insisted on a mac as a work computer I'd just sip my coffee and say "Nope."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

McDeth posted:

But you're supposed to empower users, not handicap them!

I'm empowering them by giving them the right software for the job.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

McDeth posted:

I really don't get the Mac hate here. Well, I mean I understand it, but what kills me is that we're supposed to be helping end users directly here and because this is the SMALL SHOP ADMIN THREAD, that usually means having to do stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with if you had a job at a >100 person company's IT Department.

For example, I loving loath Apple. I hated dealing with their smarmy, uppity piece of poo poo sales & support people and hated when their overly complicated, under-ventilated over-priced iMacs ALWAYS had a part die to heat exhaustion. I hated having to call in to their stupid, loving bullshit corporate stores and make stupid loving appointments 3 days out just so that one of their genius retards could diagnose an obviously bad hard drive and tell me it would take 3 days to fix.

But then I grew a pair, went on-line, looked at how loving easier their products are to disassemble, and literally made a 4 day turnaround job a 20 minute fix.

So unless you're dealing with something you literally can't repair, saying that you provide ZERO hardware support to your users in a SMALL SHOP is basically telling your end users to go gently caress themselves.

/rant

Because all small shop admins are overworked and "Simplify" becomes a goal you want to attain. In a big shop I can have a mac guy, an iphone guy, a guy who just knows cisco really good etc. In a small shop it's one loving guy. One. Having a single OS (For the most part) to deal with will drastically cut down on the strain of managing his poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Spudalicious posted:

I'm one of two guys handling ~100 employees, of which roughly 10 are full-time PHD scientists and another 40 or so of engineers and other highly skilled support staff. The remainder work in a retail setting or as educators for our camps. I have Windows, OSX, and Linux running on dozens of systems that we personally manage.

Simplification is good, but not at the expense of pissing off your users. Asking someone to change the way they do things to make your job easier is an easy way to make them hate you. I usually try to stress the benefit from the user's perspective, focusing on things that will improve their workflow and quality of life. If I tried to tell a senior researcher that we were switching everyone to windows half of them would walk out and not return, regardless of any perceivable benefit.

In my environment all of our CRM/ERP crap is windows only, and most small shops I've been in are the same. If I'm spinning up mac vm's or dual booting their macs into windows just so they can do the day to day then I don't care if it pisses them off that they don't get the toy they want. Since all the actual work is done in a win environment, they need to learn it anyways, and having them dual boot when they come in doesn't simplify workflow or quality of life.

I don't hate macs, they just have no place in my shop.

I don't give a poo poo if our guys have iphones or android, because ultimately the work paradigm doesn't change, it's just an e-mail tool that makes phonecalls, and both support airwatch.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

This is poor customer service dude. Your job is to advise users on and provide tools to make it as easy for them to do their job. But what if it really is easier or simpler for them to use Mac? What if they have an assistant that pulls their great plains reports or whatever for them and they spend all their time making powerpoints and reading email? What if the web portal for your CRM is "good enough" (for example the one we have has a web app that can only access like 60% of the modules, but my president only uses those modules anyway)? You shouldn't say to a user "I know your job description better than you and therefore you should use this. this other thing is too inconvenient for me to support and will make your life more complicated." Make the user aware of the pros and cons, set their expectations, and help them make an informed decision--but they should be the one making the decision.

And literally none of that is applicable here and generally assumes a level of user computer competency that doesn't exist at this place. Maybe it's because I come from a different world, where people have to submit business cases for getting something other than the norm. "Let them have what they want and we'll sort it out" is absolutely alien to me. And well, also alien to good IT practice.