Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll one-up that. We're legally required to keep all transaction data for 10 years. Our main system doesn't have a function to aggregate or export historical data to colder storage.

When calculating risks, trends etc it uses ALL available data, even though any data older than about 12 months is pretty much irrelevant for the calculations. Those calculations now take approximately 3 hours to run. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Laserface posted:

Im going to politely tell him to find someone else to fix it, I think.
Yep. You gave him your advice, he wouldn't take it and was rude in return. :sever:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Save the important data, then flatten and reinstall the computer and tell him not to be a dumbass again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If it's just for yourself, KeePass.

If it's for a group where you want auditing of who checks out which password etc, please tell me when you find a solution that isn't thousands of dollars and/or awful.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

have you looked at 1password for teams? It is obnoxiously a subscription service for no good reason but it's only like :4bux:/user/mo. I don't have the team version but I use it personally and sync passwords between my computer and phone over the WLAN, works great.
Isn't 1password a hosted solution? Any off-site hosting of sensitive data is a big no-no around here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh nice, I'll have to take a look at that then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You probably want to look into switching over to 5Ghz where possible as well. The 2.4Ghz band is ridiculously crowded while 5Ghz is a bit more roomy for now. Even in my residential area 2.4Ghz is practically unusable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

What kind of environmental monitoring do you guys have in your MDF? I'd really like to put something in there to send me notifications about humidity, temperature, and a water sensor alarm since our data closet is right next to the kitchen here in our facility :suicide:

At home I use smart things with a water sensor for this kind of thing, but I'd prefer something more secure and purpose built and all I'm really finding are simple monitoring gadgets that don't do any kind of reporting.
We're using AKCP SensorProbes at our DCs and they've worked pretty well. Not very expensive if you don't need a lot of sensors either.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I miss pots lines
Now there's a thing you don't hear often.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

There's two pots lines left in my environment and both are fax machines.

I've had enough hell with the fax machine + ATA + SIP trunk combo that I'm okay with still having them.
To be fair the core problem here is the fax.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

I can think of a lot more disgusting justifications for rolling things out at the office TYVM
We're forced to maintain a lovely system that was purchased and pushed onto everyone by our Norwegian branch, with the reason for going with that system (over many other more qualified products) was that they thought it was made by a Norwegian company.

e: It isn't.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 23, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just wait for the inevitable user who locks their AD account out after too many failed passwords and decides to go get a coffee "while it sorts itself out" and can't get back into their office.

I realize the system probably differentiates between a disabled and a locked account, but it's a funny thought.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Agrikk posted:

It’s part of IT/DevOps culture in my area. You aren’t anyone unless you are seen at the local coffee shop with a stickered up laptop. Mine is covered. Dunno what happens when they are given back to IT though.
I guess places like that don't reuse the laptops, and really they have the right idea. A decent laptop is what, a quarter or less of a single month's pay for your average devops guy? It's pretty much a negligible cost in the grand scheme of things, so if a person quits they either just scrap the machine or let them keep it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've seen people recommend Secret Server in the past, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Getting rid of desk phones should be on top of the wish list for anyone working in a system/network admin role.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Build a new server, add it to your DFS domain, set it up as a replica target of the old server. Once everything is replicated, set the new server as the primary and nuke the old one.

Edit: ^ Or that. ^

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Hi, it's me, (probably a loving moron) who runs a server infrastructure for a tiny company that's basically me, my boss, and a ragtag offshore team.

Unfortunately, someone decided to chown -R $user:$user /etc on one of my dev servers. I can thankfully just restore a backup from 4 days ago to fix the permissions, but what's a good way to prevent people from running commands like that again? Aside from smacking them upside the head...
If they have root access there's not really anything you can do to stop them from doing destructive mistakes, you can only mitigate them through frequent backups, file versioning and/or configuration management.

Smacking them over the head is a good start though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How much does your data change? Would it be possible to only do incremental backups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Doing Adobe work with large files over a VPN is horrible.
Any kind of work on large files over SMB is going to be painful, VPN or no.

You need some sort of check-out/check-in system where files are stored locally while they're worked on.