Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I used Bacula successfully back in the day, but all the servers were Linux and that was in a non-virtualized environment. I don't get the "must be open source" requirement either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Not just your predecessor either, it can be you two weeks ago.

It's morons all the way down, unfortunately.

Make no assumptions, and make sure you're backing up everything that needs backup up. Do test restores. You can be awful at everything else, but if you've got that covered you can at least be reasonably confident it's not your fuckups that'll run the company into the ground.

Limoncelli is good, read his stuff.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

dogstile posted:

I've written it. Also written a backup plan in case I suddenly die. It's cool i've set up a lab and i'm gonna refresh my memory on a few things. I'd be less bored if the office i worked in had anyone who actually liked eachother in it. Because nobody talks its 100% gogogo on the work and i've moved incredibly fast over the past 6 months getting everything put together.

It also helps that my predecessor wasn't an idiot. I've cursed him a couple of times but 90% of the time everything he's done has made sense, or he's gone above and beyond by setting things with expansion in mind rather than a "that'll do for now" setup.

e: Also i've only got like 35 users and of those only 12 of them at most actively use their computers.

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig now, and obviously different people want different things from their job, but if you think you'll be in IT for the long haul, you should start thinking about your next job now. You'll need somewhere bigger and with more going on to keep gaining meaningful experience.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

o365 comes with skype for business

You shut your filthy mouth. Teams is much better, and is replacing SfB in due course anyway: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/faq-journey

As for a chat tool in the business, some places just aren't a great fit for it. Older staff who all work at the office in a paper-pushing kind of job may simply not see a point - and they may not be wrong.

It's fantastic if you're running a conference in a big location, though.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Had a nice moment last night as we migrated some machines from an on-premises VMWare setup to Azure. As we completed a file server move (that happened to also be a domain controller, because it was set up by idiots), vcenter suddenly completely poo poo the bed. Sure enough, resolv.conf turned out to have a single line entry for the file server we'd just moved. Proving once again that it's loving morons all the way down.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Tell me more about unfortunate SonicWall-voip interactions. I’m likely to have that situation in a couple of months.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

pixaal posted:

Office 365 even offers to do this for you when you press delete on a user.
Tell me more about this. Changing mailboxes to shared is part of our SOP for user teardown, but I don't recall a button for that!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

You might want to move away from Network Solutions for your DNS provision, too. I got sick of the constant upsell and the overall shittiness of their setup. Route 53 on AWS has been better (and cheaper) for us.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

PDQ Inventory / PDQ Deploy is/was well-liked for some time, but they kind of got caught with their pants down for the whole "everyone is a remote worker" thing, as did most people. I think you can do remote deployments now, but it sounds like it's not ideal. I'd still check it out if MEM is a bridge too far. https://www.pdq.com/blog/setting-up-pdq-to-work-with-remote-workers/
I think you still need to be at least attached to the VPN, and then if DNS is set up appropriately you can use it to deploy. Worked pretty well for me at my last place, all I ever had to do to make it work was fiddle with the push/pull transfer options, and it's otherwise a nice piece of software for an SMB network. It still has a pretty heavy reliance on having a traditional AD domain.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

SamDabbers posted:

You could also look for a cloud storage host that provides an FTP interface. There has to be one out there.
I haven't used it, but AWS has an FTP service you can deploy.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I was going to say 400 seemed a lot, but the last place I was at that had reasonably active IT definitely had 250+ in the admin vault, so actually that seems only a little above par.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

SharePoint having no concept of a Deny permission so you have to break inheritance every time someone wants a specific folder to be an exception to the permissions set on the rest of the site :argh:

Sharepoint basically wants all the items in a library to have the same permissions (you can still find people insisting that imposing folder hierarchies on libraries is misguided). If you bear that in mind when you plan things out, you'll have an easier time.

e: that's not to say that different groups can't have differing permissions, rather that things are consistent throughout the library.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 2, 2021

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

bolind posted:

Subversion can suck my smelly sticky hairy wrinkly balls for eternity. That is all.

I thought everyone had switched to git lo these many years ago. Did you just upgrade from CVS or something?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I've done printing for a 70 person office over a VPN running on a 500Mb connection. It was fine.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

network devices, iDRAC's, UPS NIC's etc generally go into dedicated mgmt vlans with a subnet of appropriate size (/27, /28 something like that depending on the number of devices) IMO. Outside of that you have things like printers which will both print and have a management page on the same IP, so there is very little you can do about that.

IP address ranges in small shops are not a scarce commodity, though, so I will happily make all my subnets /24 for ease of remembering and not worry more about it. Printers are indeed tools of the devil.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Comedy perl option: Request Tracker. I actually used this quite a long time ago during a very cost-sensitive phase and it was in fact not bad at all. I know it's still around and might be worth a look, but back in the day it was a bunch of perl so think long and hard before leaving that mess for the next guy.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Sounds to me like UPS poo poo should have a little literal mechanical red flag they raise when the batteries are running flat and never, ever be allowed to talk on the network ever.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

nvrgrls posted:

But I'll say publicly because gently caress it: avoid red river

Huh. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Mileage may vary, I guess.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

We keep the mailbox data around for retention purposes (shared mailbox w/ manager access like unknown initially), but respond for a couple of months with a "try here instead" autoreply before just bouncing things.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

And hardware to support whatever interface tape drives use these days. I have no idea what that is, it's been a lot of years.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 11, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Do you have a GC for the build out? If so I'd call them first, they may have subs they can recommend or like to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

We use Freshdesk, because it does simple ticketing well and is affordable. This is without the ITSM stuff you can get as an add-on and we're OK with using other tools for internal development efforts, so it might not be what you're looking for. Stay the gently caress away from Sysaid.