Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Sheep posted:

"Oh you want $2000 to replace the D-Link consumer APs with two Merakis because the clients are furious that our wireless never works? Not in the budget, maybe next year!

Hey while we're here, the CFO and HR Director need new laptops. What? No you can't use the same cheap Lenovo model we give everyone else. Get them the most whizbang fanciest model HP sells - i7, 16gb of RAM, SSD, ultra HD touchscreen, the works. It's only like $4000 and their perfectly usable current generation laptops just don't cut it for using Outlook and Chrome. Thanks!"

:rolleyes:

Can't fix stupid.

Also your sales suck if they can't get that point across without sounding like a jackass.

Or if your really smart you order the laptops with less wizbang, they can live with 8gb and a 120gb SSD and take the saving and grab some ubiquiti's and be a hero while sowing discontent that their bosses are morons.

peoplsit.txt

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

redeyes posted:

Onedrive is a loving joke. As is typical of microsoft recently, everything they make is badly thought out and buggy as hell. Android is going to eat their loving lunch.
MS Gripes....

Problem with MS is it's all silos so you don't know what product is good or bad till you use it.

My biggest gripe is that cannot seem to unify their online identities, it's what keeps me going all in on MS products, it confuses the poo poo out of users to have 2 different MS accounts that can have different passwords, features changing all the time, different rates, etc. it's like there is a slap fight between the o365 team and the undying corpse of the Hotmail/Outlook team, animated by the user base of your high school email account. Google at least keeps it all within the same account.

The two accounts do not exists side by side on a workstations without causing mis-syncs between at least one product; pretty much unfixable short of "delete everything"

O365 - Exchange Online - pretty good

Onenote - Skype - Onedrive - Good but plagued by disparate versions, generally syncing buggyness

Windows 10 - Great by itself just as 8.1 was. DO NOT LET CLIENTS GO FROM 7 to 10 inplace unless you want to have a really lovely week.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 28, 2015

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Swink posted:

Depends how much it costs to buy 160 Win10 Pro licences. If it's more than the cost of upgrading ( $Nothing ) then my boss is not going to go for it.

I don't think it'll be too bad. Each machine will be upgraded, registered with microsoft, then freshly imaged and delivered to the user.

I'm probably breaking several OEM Licencing rules here but my mandate is to make poo poo work for the least amount of expense.

It's going to suck when you need to manage 160 individual system images. Windows 10 doesn't really offer any "new" features anyway, the most cost effective way to deal with it just not upgrade.

I really hope they bow to pressure to do a key registration replacement/conversion. It kind of sucks now to do in place upgrades, it's going to suck way worse in 3 years when we are still flashing system this way. Alot of small jobs involve flashing that still need to take place that way will still be a massive pain in the rear end. It's going to make the consumer market even less serviceable.

Small shops are going to bear the brunt of this as every normal person goes and claims their free Windows 10 upgrade on their Costco/Bestbuy/Walmart tupperware special.

I think MS is overestimating the capabilities their user base by a long shot.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Swink posted:

Oh shitballs. I figured it would just know based on the hardware profile. Ugh.

Sticking with Win7 is definitely something I plan to put forward. We have a growing fleet of Surface Pros that could do with the switch to 10 though.

Just had 2 surface pros come into my office yesterday with horked wifi stacks due to VPN clients installed. Had to roll back. Even after uninstall did not take the upgrade "clean"

Have fun in hardware debugging hell!