Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"that's how it's always been done" is also the attitude at a lot of small shops, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We're also looking for a decent RMM. I've got a demo with Ninja scheduled next week and we're looking at N-Able, Kaseya, LabTech and Max RemoteManagement as well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Devolution's RemoteDesktopManager has treated me pretty well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

150 mailbox single host exchange 2010 environment. Any practical reason to upgrade to 2013 or 2016? (Assume 365 is not an option right now)

Depends on your organization, I guess. There's a nice list of improvements here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150540(v=exchg.160).aspx

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fourteen posted:

Office 365 - any recommendations for a reseller, or should I just go straight to Microsoft?

Ingram Micro has slight discounts and their provisioning is a lot faster.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I used ingram micro (and resell from them to clients) and I'm here to tell you it's totally not worth it imho. They're supposed to provide tier 1 support but their support is trash and you end up just calling MS directly. Also it's just a nother extra step/extra portal to use for not much value. If you're just buying for your own company go direct to MS. I think if you are looking for some cost savings you can do OSA through VLSC.

Oh yeah, their support is poo poo. But we're pretty happy with their portal, considering how long it took before to provision new licenses and stuff (minutes instead of days).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"What's this 'Liebarry Office' on your resumé?"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why wouldn't you just add the new hardware to the current situation, let the DCs do their replication dance, and then demote and discard the old DC and hardware?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Add Read delegation to Domain Computers. Don't add it to the security filter.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sheep posted:

Being a not_Windows guy, I'm still confused as to how you're supposed to domain join roaming laptops that may never even be connected to the company network for weeks at a time without splurging for Enterprise. Azure ADDS isn't a mature thing yet so the only option remaining is DirectAccess which is obviously a no go because, again, Enterprise.

VPN?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That firewall is definitely in the wrong place and should be in between the router and the switch. One reason for having a separate switch for the phones could be PoE-capabilities.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've never been able to get custom start menu layout to work, what's the secret

Create account, set it how you'd like it to look, export XML, import XML through GPO. You can even lock some sections. It's pretty neat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

It also sounds like the sort of thing that will break every update and be a complete nightmare to keep on top of.

I think this has been the way to do it since Windows 8.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sneakyfrog did you even read the post or understand Windows Server licensing? The only licensing thing weird in that setup is the 10 User CALS for 4 people. Maybe 5 if you're counting the MSP. The server is 2x8 cores, so 16 cores total, which is covered by 8 2-core licenses.
It's not just a backup server, if you read the post you'll read that there's also an application server component, and who the gently caress knows what they're running it on.
And if you read the line below item 13, you'd realize it's not just for one server OS. They're probably including migration to the new server and all that bullshit as well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Fool posted:

We can pick apart the quote until the cows come home, but if you want real advice we need to know more about the existing environment, what software is used, workflows, etc.

Pretty much this. What if the end user is a loving hellscape with weird rear end custom apps and loving finicky users who tremble at any changes? I've been there before and yeah we loving doubled our estimates, simply because we knew we were gonna need those extra hours to handle their bullshit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Since when do printers need a User CAL? SInce when do users using multiple devices need multiple User CALs? Since when does a wireless AP need a User CAL?

"if your users who use the printer have CALs then the printer is covered by their use via their CALs"

You're thinking of Device CALs, not User CALs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Using Outlook with GMail is a recipe for disaster. And IMAP, really? In TYOOL 2017? C'mon son.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Depends on your scenario, but generally you just open up a remote desktop session to the remote desktop session host and that's their workspace.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Crowley posted:

That's just a good system. Disable the user in AD, and their keys get locked out too (I assume). That sounds like a great feature to me.

Yeah we stored our badge numbers in AD and synced that with our access control system. Even let us grant physical access based on AD groups, which was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

apc smartups 1500VA should be plenty tbh unless your server is actually a furnace