Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well now I feel old. :smithfrog:

push email used to be a big deal, now its pretty commonplace.

If you want low maintenance office 365 is pretty decent for low user count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Calidus posted:

I am really leaning towards the idea that users are just idiots but here it goes. We use Office 365 for email. I have a system that log into office 365 and emails out invoices as pdfs to customers. All our customers with @att.net email address can't seem to open the pdfs. :suicide:

how many recipients?

chances off with PRO email addresses like that, they are using PRO level security

quote:

If using Mcafee Security Suite (or the ATT Internet Security Suite powered by Mcafee), you need to do the following:

1. Bring up the McAfee Security Center (double-click icon in lower right of screen)
2. Click on Email & IM protected icon and then click on Configure to change option on the right.
3. Under E-Mail protection is enabled .... click the dot to Off (from On). This allows the e-mail protect automatically scans ...etc. This is because the Yahoo/ATT email software is incorporated with Norton's on the website. With the McAfee software engaged on the local PC, they are "combating" each other resulting in the downloading problem.

4. You will then receive a message from the Mcafee software stating they your computer IS NOT fully protected, when in fact it is. You've just allowed the Yahoo/ATT Norton software to scan the attachment during the download instead of the McAfee.

5. You will then find that going back to your email downloads that everything will function as designed. I am sure this is the same thing that is happening with the other antivirus software (Trend Micro, etc ) installed on any local PC.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Calidus posted:

4 customers between att.net and sbcgobal.net

I will investigate the Mcafee crapware but I think it might actually be something with at&t. I sent some pdfs to a personal yahoo email and they opened fine on one of the customers computers.

only reason i mentioned it is because i had the same thing happen when i used to work helldesk :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Today my client said he wants me to make the whole LAN be PCI compliant even though they don't do CC processing anywhere on the LAN.

:suicide101:

did they specify WHICH lan or just "the lan"

Pretend you are a slightly twisted genie and give em their wish :haw:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GigaFuzz posted:

I feel like I could use a sanity check, and this seems an appropriate place to ask.

We're a small office of ~10 people. We have one physical server: a pretty basic Dell T320 (Xeon E5 2407, 8GB RAM, PERC S110 software RAID controller with 2x 1TB 7.2k SATA drives in RAID1) running Server 2012 R2 Essentials (on bare metal, not a VM). It's serving as a DC, DHCP, file server, print server (2 printers), WSUS and occasionally MDT. It's mostly ticking along just fine, apart from 2 problems: we're running out of space, and the performance of the OS is slow as hell (using Remote Desktop and the various admin tools feels worse than an old slow laptop drive), though accessing shared files from client computers seems fine. I know that the software RAID is no good, but I didn't expect it to bog down so much with a simple RAID1.

At the very least we need new some hard drives, but we have some downtime coming up during an office move and I figured it would be worth upgrading to a proper RAID controller and reconfigure the server, possibly virtualising it. Does the following seem sensible?

• Backup (and test!) current server
  • Buy and install a PERC H710 RAID controller
  • Create RAID1 of current 2x 1TB drives [OS]
  • Create a second RAID1 of 2x 4TB WD Red drives [Storage]
  • Install Hyper-V Server on the OS array
  • Create a VM on the OS array, and restore backup to it
  • Create virtual disk on the Storage array and then move the file server data to that

This would then allow the option of running additional VMs as necessary down the line, migrating to Server Standard rather than Essentials for example (we're a charity and have access to cheap copies of Windows Server and related CALs).

I'm new to virtualising servers, and am trying not to do anything dumb and stick to best practices (without spending too much on hardware). Am I on the right track?

sounds pretty good. Keep in mind microsoft VM licensing, and migrating out of an essentials environment rarely works as easily as it says on the tin, due to your smaller usercount rebuilding anything shouldn't be too strenuous but I definitely like the flexibility you get with keeping stuff virtual just for ease of backup and movement to differing hardware. also, running more than one vm on that machine might tax the workload a bit due to the clock speed of that processor and the amount of ram you have available. Also keep in mind you are going to have to use powershell or remote management tools with hyper v due to its lack of gui. Hope any of that helps in some way.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Microsoft licensing is dark magic. Just finished a compliance audit with flying colors, but man microsofts eye of sauron sucks balls. Just be cautious and read ALL the licencing things and make sure you are covered when deploying stuff like Remote Desktop Services or More than 2 VMs on anything less than datacenter server.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Also dont forget about server 2016 being licenced per core. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing

because hey that'll give everyone so much incentive to upgrade.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

It gives you 16 cores 32 threads as the minimum licenses. For anything small that is already overkill just like the 2 socket minimum was. It does make the new AMD stuff less attractive if that ends up being good.

oh. that makes more sense, thanks

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

We're in the small shop thread, it does make it more expensive for larger builds but I think that's outside the scope of this thread.

Yeah, I just am a weird niche where i have way more compute horsepower than actual users, so microsoft licensing starts eyeballing you weird when you start throwing enterprise stuff into what is traditionally a small business environment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i honestly am pining for the fjords for the days when you didnt have to subscribe to everything. :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno guys im kinda cheap. and outlook aint improved that much without breaking half my plugins half a dozen times and making that horrible white theme.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nah i got pride. I wont cheap out over stupid stuff. but between sales and marketing signed up for stupid poo poo as well as o365 keeping all the doodads running sucks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah have a few pilot candidates picked out so you can test your gpos on small OUs beforehand as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

incoherent posted:

CALs are a soft licensing thing for 90% of microsoft licensing (RDP is the exception). Don't let them be a hurdle to doing some 11hr-hour-pull-five-aces-out-your-rear end savior bullshit, but make sure to get them purchased.

Remember: you need one for every device that hits your Windows server DHCP service.

wait you guys use device cals?

ghaa.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

incoherent posted:

You'll need a mixture of user and device cals, which crowley referenced.

Otherwise vlan your printers, VoIP phones, and access points and use a different DHCP solution.

I have never seen a hybrid model using both user and device cals. I always used them as either/or depending on whichever was more economical given either a higher machine count or higher user count. I just had a microsoft audit like this past december and they didnt have any shortcomings in my licensing at all.. is this a new 2016 thing?

not questioning it or anything, just prefer not to do things wrong even if it slips past MS licensing

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 16, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Just because y'all made me paranoid i called my rep, and he sent me this link

quote:

Yes, if the multifunction printer is connected to a Windows Server network. A multifunction printer accesses server software to; receive an IP address, to receive a job, to communicate that the job is finished, etc. In short, it communicates with the server software. If the multifunction printer is accessing any server software licensed via the Server / CAL licensing model it requires a CAL for that software. The one caveat is, if your users who use the printer have CALs then the printer is covered by their use via their CALs. If not then the printer itself requires a device CAL. The same CAL requirement applies to any other type of networked device – such as networked scanners, networked fax machines, etc. Devices that do not connect to the network or the server software (generally referred to as peripherals) do not require CALs.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/volume-licensing/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Takkaryx posted:

The very small (about 15 people) tutoring company I work for has been having issues with our macs randomly dropping off the wireless and needing to be re-connected. No IT person has ever touched this place, AFAIK. We have about 20 mac desktops on the wireless, no hardlines, all in line of sight within 30ft of the single BelAir20e router the owner set up, presumably on the ISPs guidance. Assuming I have access to the router log files, how would I go about diagnosing if it's the router horking on 20 mac desktops plus twice as many mobile devices? Also, is there a cheap/free way I can test if it's just hordes of devices yelling over each other at 2.4GHz? I worked at a university's help desk for 5 years learning new things every day due to a flexible definition of role responsibilities, but this is networking wizardry beyond what I'm used to.

:haw: this is not a lot of information friend but I will say I havent relied on 2.4 Ghz for years due to basically everything in the world running on that frequency. Normally for a configuration you are describing it would just be, run copper, done and everyone :neckbeard: s because its all fast and reliable, hardware notwithstanding.

as far as testing things well, yes the logs can help for specific client issues once you scrub it down to errors or ip mismatches. Check your DHCP server for issues and signalwise you would be looking at some type of RF meter however it usually will just show "YUP" you got signal and how powerful the signal is in what band but it doesn't necessarily indicate what device is squawking in that band, you would need a higher end tool for that sort of capability.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh random thought, this isn't video conferencing tutoring by any chance is it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Takkaryx posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

It isn't, no. Clients come to our site with a tablet or laptop and their backpack with papers, and we have a terminal. Homework then gets done. The issue hasn't been fixed before as its been mostly a nuisance more than anything, but recently its been getting worse and I've had a few kids lose quiz grades or work because of it now. Which is kinda good, because now I can justify a budget expenditure on replacing the network :v:

I really like the idea of setting up a Ubiquiti solution, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I doubt I will be able to requisition a computer that can run the software needed. Is there a router/multiple AP combo that doesn't require a server managing it that's under a few hundred bucks? Otherwise it sounds like my best choice is to see what lives in our ceiling and run cables and switches everywhere.

Good i was just making sure you werent slamming your poor AP with 20 vidconferences

ubiquiti stuff is great but honestly if all your clients can see the AP visually cable either just works or its busted as far as troubleshooting goes, and security is handled physically as opposed to just giving an ap that can potentially be sniffed or whatever
if you go with a ceiling install be neat and use plenum rated cable, its more expensive but you are up to code for an air handling space.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yea that's the impression I got from reading the website. Cowerker is pretty :tinfoil: in general and doesn't know much about computers. Thanks!

feel free to torture your coworker about the granular level of detail that is possible for us to spy on your coworker if I cared about most of the boring rear end poo poo most people do, generally if someone is legit spying on you at the office you are already hosed and they just want grounds to term you :eng101:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

who here knows about intune

blink i havent heard about it until you just brought it up but that looks kinda cool. might have to take that one out for a test drive.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I don't know all I know is I need to have 125 people on it by next friday

gha.

why would they do that to you?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beefstorm posted:

Engage the Microsoft Fast Track Center. They have a team that will walk you through the integration.

There's a minimum license commitment. But I believe you hit it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

on behalf of my day today.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

Nope, hey it's telling me I'm not authorized to use the printer or get to folders!
You're password expired an hour ago.
Oh it told me that was going to happen for 4 weeks! I don't have time to change it just fix this!
Well I can't it's invalid now press control alt delete and change your password
This is highly inconvenient!!

God that was such a fun conversation. We only make you change your password every 4 months and give a 30 day warning. If you don't change it before hand I have zero fucks to give.

do you not just automate the ticket system to kick back the boilerplate Dear *insert fucko name* email

and refuse to answer the phone(except your boss and vips natch) because

no ticket?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

Small shop, what ticket system :v:

Honestly we're small enough that I'm rarely doing helpdesk stuff and most of my week is filled with projects meetings and keeping the servers running.

ey if its small enough you can keep track of everything via whiteboard or brain more power to ya

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

If anything is moving between days it gets a ticket made by me, too much push back from management and almost everything is projects in the ticketing system that is more just time management / tracking for personal use. I'm not leaving a mess for the next person so they have no incident history like I inherited.

documenting the stuff you do helps you get raises and additional personnel or at least justification for it. :shrug: just take care of yourself friend, small shop IT tends to get backburnered until its a problem

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you should go full glen beck :beck: violently aggressive IT.

seriously as long as you are getting paid well. :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's not a ticketing service, but regarding phishing training for employees, KnowBe4 is a pretty great service that'll basically send out any variety of phishing emails to your employees and tell you who clicked what, what information they gave up, and just generally put a proper fear and paranoia in the back of people's minds. I highly encourage checking it out, it's much more effective than any kind of training, worth every penny.

lol the "get a quote" button always seems like a "get phone calls forever from vendors" button care to ballpark per user pricing?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

We resell KnowBe4.

Bam!

Note this screen shot is from January 2016, and reflects MSRP prices. I believe cost went up by $1/seat/year.

A few thoughts on knowbe4: the phishing simulations are great. Regarding the video trainings, I've heard "love it" and I've heard "extremely boring". Administration is really easy - I got a 30 minute MSP training, and now it takes me about 15 minutes to spin up a client. Another alternative to compare: comptia's CyberSecure.org.

You are a fantastic human being for cutting down on my receptionists workload friend. Thanks

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if its a new enough machine, that intel optane thing seems like a decent $40 upgrade for a spinny drive

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

Those things are neat, and the price is surprisingly reasonable, but installing a 120GB normal SSD to use as a boot/applications drive and leaving the spinny drive for large files seems like it'd be better when possible.

I can see the cache thing working out for laptops or ultracompact desktops where a single 2.5" bay is all you get, but if there's room the benefits of using Optane for this purpose seem to be relatively nil compared to just a normal SSD.

Now that said, if they can also be used as a normal NVMe device then I could certainly see throwing the small one in as a place to put swap, /var/log, etc.

I figure it might work nice for an in place upgrade just to show some love to the admin staff without reinstalling anything or having to spend too much money or time on it.

e: yeah it can be used as a std NVME as well

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 26, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Your job must suck friend, need to get some cash latitude there

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Explorer posted:

Let the squeaky wheel squeak. That's when it gets the grease.

This seems to be a hard lesson for IT people to learn. I know I've had to lecture engineers on it several times before it sets in. As IT you want to fix problems. Maybe you see a problem and you know you can't fix it or it really is part of a larger problem, so you put a bandaid on it and talk to the higher-ups about a real fix. Okay, that's fine, that's part of the job. Then it happens again, as you knew it would, and you put another bandaid on it and talk again to the higher-ups. Third time comes around? You need to let that poo poo break or let employees bitch about the problem, otherwise it is never going to get fixed. If so, it would have gotten fixed the first or second time around.

This.

Let the lovely poo poo break hard, just document everything cc everyone and have that poo poo around for when they start blamegaming

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hey if people rely on their computers to do work, they need to keep up. If they are too cheap to keep functional machines around or keep things well beyond usability or support dates, without a backup plan.. poo poo they should go out of business. (not that that reflects on you GB, sucky situation you are in)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GargleBlaster posted:

A lot of our customers and suppliers are in Europe so it does affect us somewhat, with the pound having jumped off a cliff.. that said the Euro doesn't seem to be far behind us so the rest is uncertainty - not getting long term contracts because of worries about the future etc.
But yeah they do seem to struggle with some of the management as well.
I get less than half that a month actually!

:yotj: friend, get out.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thanks Ants posted:

Your employer is poo poo

pixaal posted:

You have huge red flags, unless you feel staying there is making your resume look really good due to responsibilities and title you need to get out while it's good. Good news is you have a job, you can be picky in your search. You can't be as picky when you don't have a job. That company is going to go bankrupt, if you can't afford to replace stuff you are dead.

These are all good points.

GargleBlaster posted:

The company's actually a long way from going under (they won't spend because they always want to be making a profit and think it'll help make a bigger one if they spend nothing and shout louder at the sales people) and it's rare for them to make a loss. I think one year they only made a small profit and were furious. So it's annoying, but it's better than nothing...

This is the most short sighted toxic bullshit ever.

Not to point the finger but get your skills up, get a new job.

Dont enable lovely companies to stay lovely. Because that is exactly what you are doing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
If IT is seen as a liability that is a fundamental failure on the part of the person responsible. Hell I think most of us like to be frugal, but there isnt even a fine line between frugality and ludicrously cheap. If your profit margins cant handle basic simple things that fail regularly, thats just asking for a catastrophic failure. Id be getting into a proper shop friend, besides go hang out with the database people most of them are borderline on the spectrum anyways, you might be the bubbly social one of the group :haw:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GargleBlaster posted:

I think "enabling" is giving me a bit too much credit. When I leave one of two things will happen

1) They breathe a sigh of relief at being £20k per annum better off and toss the local IT company a fraction of it to cover for the other guy when he's on leave and everything carries on as it did before (albeit with more stress and overworking for the other guy, and without the nice little automations and intranet-based data retrieval things I keep knocking together for them), or
2) They do as I've seen in other departments over the years: hire someone new who starts off bright eyed and enthusiastic, they spend a year learning how the company works, then see what's going on get worn down and leave, and the cycle continues.

Neither of these will change the management, assuming that is the problem. Time will though (everyone retires eventually) meanwhile I can at least try and influence things from inside, even if it's mostly unsuccessful

ok, how about this one. Go take care of you by working for a proper shop and learn how things are done when you apply thought and money to them as opposed to trying to keep a sad leaky unmaintained boat afloat with a bucket. You learn bad habits when halfassing some bodged up "solution" because you cant do it properly because you get hamstrung by a nonexistant budget.

Just take care of yourself friend is all im saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so at this point because i am morbidly curious, what kinda setup you got?

50 users in what kinda domain and like what is your structure friend? How much mentor-ship do you have and experimentation room you got?