Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I had two users batteries "die" (instant 0%, not charging) at the same time last week, both have been running laptops off the DC power adapter and of course both are fully remote WFH 20+ hours away. It looks like both got pushed a windows update about that time but rolling back didnt help.

...Dell apparently decides to throttle the CPU down as much as possible to 22% max frequency due to that perceived missing battery.

Did this happen to anyone else within the past few months?
Anyone know of a way to force a Dell XPS 15 on Win 10 out of a power/battery saving mode?

EDIT: I was able to force the clock speed to 100% by editing the registry, just need to figure out the battery issue but at least the show stopper is resolved.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Happiness Commando posted:

Jira has a free tier for less than 10 users, but the downside is that you have to use Jira.

This is what we use. IMO out-of-the-box Jira Cloud is pretty great, if a bit slow. Jira's big problem is with the people who gently caress it up by customizing it. If you're developing software with the basic ol scrum/kanban and need a backlog of tasks, some estimating and some WIP monitoring, free tier Jira is good.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nvrgrls posted:

I'm expanding to look at CRMs lol. Kill me.

I don't wanna vendorlock into freshdesk or sfdc or any of those things just because honestly we don't have the funds to scale that. We have like 30+ active people right now and not registered as anything. I'm just trying to make the best decision given the very not ideal situation until someone can get it together to incorporate and have some sort of actual "business" strategy etc.

I really like Close CRM. $30/mo. Search is powerful, fast and simple, but can be made very precise.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thanks Ants posted:

Raspberry Pi-based systems might not be an option depending on when you need to have this ready for, have you seen the stock levels of them lately?

I used an RPi based one, super duper easy. I forget what the “signage” OS I used was but it was up and running in 10 min. Never touched it except to change pictures it cycled

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Count down to the routers being counterfeit and the firmware bricking them somehow.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dexter6 posted:

Is it really not possible to obtain my office’s public IP address from the Xirrus portal?

My other office I was able to log into Ubiquiti and Meraki and see it displayed but Xirrus is hiding it from me.

Cant you just go to any whats my ip website? Or google that phrase?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
For the $99 price the Microsoft modern ones have been very good, I get a week between charges, but the headphones aren’t noise canceling. Obvs designed for teams.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I can't think of a good solution to this problem:

We have ~5 web browser based SaaS tools that are used a few times per day, but generally low usage. Theyre all in the $100/mo range. We have two people that use them. The SaaS makers will do things like force change passwords, require 2FA reauth, etc. if you're logged in from different locations and we work remotely. They dont really provide enough value to offer multiple seats.

I need a way to share these. It can be kinda clunky and at least one person will have local access to it at all times.

The best i've come up with so far: Have a local desktop set up with 2 KVMs such that Monitor 1 contains a Chrome tab, mouse 1, keyboard 1 and Monitor 2 contains a chrome tab of the same browser session with mouse 2, keyboard 2. Use one of the tools that allow two mice to control one computer like MouseMux. Figure out some keyboard shortcut for relaunching chrome if it closes.

This seems VERY clunky. Also I have no idea the security reputations of networked KVM providers. Some get pretty pricey, the cheap ones I'm not sure I trust.

Any good ideas? I feel like theres GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Fool posted:

Put a desktop in a closet and have everyone rdp to it.

Or just pay for more licenses.

$100/month is barely a fraction of what the people using the tools are going to be paid.

$100/mo is nothing. $1000/mo is closer to the actual cost for all of them, and there are some we're holding back on for this exact reason. The problem with RDP is theyre not sharing a browser session, so even though you're from the same computer, you're two different users of that computer. I believe this will still trigger the issue though admittedly haven't tried it.

I'll give that a try now.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Fool posted:

Let's say 5 applications for 5 users at $100/mpu.

I have no idea what these users roles are or what region you're in, so I'm going to assume a salary $50k.

Using a randomly googled tax calculator, we can estimate the tax burden, and get $54k.

That comes to $4500/month

100/4500 is .02

Which estimates the cost of paying for a tool required for this person to do their job to be 1/50th of their salary. This is not counting the dozens of other expenses related to providing an the employee tools they need, or the loss of productivity caused by having to suffer through a janky solution to avoid paying the license fee.

I appreciate people ITT looking out for the interests of the company ethically, legally, contractually, etc. I can't go into the considerations driving the use case.

The goal is 1 account w/2 users in different locations across 5 or so web based services. These services all have usage limits (e.g. 50 credits per month) that these 2 users will be well under when combined.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Fool posted:

tbh, we're actually looking out for you

because you're the one that will have to maintain and support whatever solution you choose

and you're the one that will get scapegoated if there's a license violation

TY and you are correct fully on both accounts, but I still need to at least put some effort into a prototype.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Bitching about experiences with phone systems:

I had an awful experience with 8x8 whereby they'd fail to ring through roughly 10-50% of inbound calls for their all software system. This was 2019 and was only detected when a customer eventually bitched at us about it via email. We then found error logs, about had a heart attack, and switched to teams. Also with 8x8, we had a credit card expire and they cancelled our phone service completely without any notice. Like, didnt even both emailing oh hey you're behind on payments nothing. 1 month late? Cut off.

Teams has been better though it was also not without its inbound call dropping on connect issues. This was all dont through teams client on Win 10, no on prem, no desk phones at all. We had to build an MS graph integration to monitor for dropped calls and call people back. After ~2 months of randomly failing to connect calls, it was traced to one of the forwarding numbers, set through the Admin Portal so they should have validation FFS. on one of our call queues not being E.164 formatted. Fixing this resolved it. Even with that headache I rather like teams.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Short version: What are the best resources for learning networking/network security so I can be confident I’ve made our shop as secure as practicable? Happy to invest 40-120 hours.

Longer: I’m a Mech e and self taught programmer who set up our office network by googling each setting in the router and choosing the more secure one, blocking internet on any copiers/IoT. I’ve got a few hundred hours of wrangling various AWS connections but again all through Google.

Needs are changing, I’m switching us to a UniFi dream router (current routers last firmware update was 2020) and the settings are more complicated than I can feel comfortable setting plus we need to add some insecure IoT devices behind home assistant.

I’ve watched YouTubr tutorials on setting up VLANs with UniFi and am comfortableish with kali/nmap to see what’s publicly open (only a voip port from the ISP) but feel like I don’t understand the base concepts to ensure insecure devices aren’t tunneling out/phoning home. I want to make sure the home assistant RPi is the only IoT that can talk to the internet or scan the IoT network and that each of the IoT devices is treated as local access only and only from the Home Assistant.

So, what should I study to make sure this is set up correctly?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 20, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Good point. We autoupdate, use LastPass, use Rippling to manage devices which handles a few thing like bitlocker and device management, and have a bunch of mail rules that do decent of at blocking the bulk of those types of emails but stuff still gets through.

Thank you for the MS365 Premium tip. We use 365 Business Standard currently, it looks like business premium is less than $10/user/mo so thats certainly an option. Our users are mostly remote but we have some one drive files that sync so there’s still a vector in once one gets infected.

That said I still wanna learn the details of networking/network security. The “IoT” is part of a machine and is known to have glaringly bad CVEs. Still, certain notifications/data need to be sent out over the internet and we’re gonna use home assistant to do that, so going to network school is still a prime option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Beve Stuscemi posted:

This is for an ewaste operation, so it includes all of the major brands, including but not limited to Dell, I'd need something vendor agnostic

Check out glide apps, they’re PWAs so they’re OS agnostic and they have built in QR and barcode. You build them from a spreadsheet and the source of that sheet can be a Google sheet, bigquery table and a few others.

You’ll prob build what you want in about 30 min.