Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I manage a small shop of me and my wife. We have a customer list over 1000 people but say at any one time only a few hundred are active. Includes Macs, PCs, Servers, Wifi, and Web Design. I suppose when you have a small shop you are stuck doing just about anything. In any case I HATE new apple stuff because of all the loving glue/tape they use instead of screws. Makes doing stuff a million times harder than it needs to be. I suppose the upside is you get to be an expert with a heat gun.
I also branched out to doing electronics repair. Not too hard! EEVBlog on youtube is an invaluable resource.
Oh and Mikrotik routers are a small shop's dream. Cheap and reliable.

As far as computers go, both Windows and MacOS are loving up massively right now. Both are needlessly complex and unreliable. Mark my words, Google is gonna eat their cake over the next 10 years.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bizwank posted:

How long have you been in business? We're a two-man shop in year 4, and busy enough now that I'm comfortable turning away jobs that I know will take more time then we can bill for or the high-maintenance customers who will stretch a single repair into 3 months of phone support. Took a while to get here though, first couple of years we took any work we could get just to keep the lights on, but a highly focused marketing campaign (mostly adwords, including lots of negative ones) and a better web presence then the competition gradually resulted in more and more of the gravy jobs coming in, to the point that we now practically own that market and have to advertise very little (most of our referrals are word-of-mouth or via Yelp). It helps that there are a few other good shops in town that I can refer the unwanted work to (they in turn send me the jobs that they don't want) so even the customers that we turn away end up with a good impression of us because we're still helping them. If you don't like working on Macs there's probably someone else in town who does, but doesn't like a segment of their PC business. Couldn't hurt to open a dialog with them about it...

10 years. Yeah I do turn away anything I am sure I cannot fix relatively easily. Just not worth the hassle. I do fix tons of Apple machines, almost always hard drives blowing up. MacOS odds and ends, virus removals is huge now too. Bottom line, I work on any computer. I don't take sides, whoever pays gets fixed. The bigger money stuff is Hotel/business wireless... ooh baby.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Onedrive is a loving joke. As is typical of microsoft recently, everything they make is badly thought out and buggy as hell. Android is going to eat their loving lunch.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eikre posted:

It's there a good utility or process by which I can spoof Win10 validation on a machine (to claim free upgrades), short of actually installing Win10?

I have a suite of testbench workstations and... stuff, and I would like to have Win10 in the options box for them but don't really wanna underwrite the upgrade for some of them right now.

Upgrade from Windows 7/8 which is activated and done.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love how Gsuite doesn't allow easy contact sharing. After like 8 loving years.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Yeah I just had someone ask me about that a few weeks ago. They have one main account and delegate the contacts through there to everyone. Sounds horrible.

It's why I haven't recommended Google Apps since it came out of beta. Customers demand contact sharing. Office 365 for business has been doing the trick and if I were to pay money I would say gently caress Google's apps for small business stuff.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GargleBlaster posted:

Honestly we placebo the gently caress out of them with ccleaner and defraggler etc but there are only so many times you can do that before they see through it. Wipe and reinstall can help for a few months for reasons that probably only Microsoft truly knows.

I have no idea why you waste time loading that garbage.. but yeah I stock cheapo Sandisk 120 and 240GB drives. I can get about %50 of people to upgrade because omg slow computer... it's my biggest upgrade by far.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GargleBlaster posted:

What the gently caress else are we supposed to do?! THEY WON'T loving SPEND MONEY, I ALREADY SAID SO. Unless I pay out of my own pocket, SSD is not happening. ccleaner is actually pretty good at decluttering poo poo like temp files at least, then as much as it pains me to use such archaic things, defraggler is about the best free disk defragmentation software. There's only so much we can do to help the "omg slow computer" people because quite understandably they're suffering from cheap 5400rpm pieces of poo poo that came with the last desktop refresh like 7 years ago.
*Sometimes* it's Windows "bogged down syndrome" and investing a day wiping and reinstalling helps, but modern versions really don't seem quite so bad for that. Mostly it's just using hardware that was already trash 7 years ago because our line manager is the company accountant.

How about because its a waste of time and they don't speed up a computer. You can always say, sorry, this needs a hardware upgrade but other than that its time for a new computer. I mean after a while you aren't going to get repeat customers because that poo poo doesn't work.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well I don't usually help people with no money but maybe your business model is different...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

The APs are OK, their point-to-point wireless is really good. The other stuff is a bit 'meh', I don't get the hype that people get wrapped in and try and build their entire network using kit from a single vendor.

Same here. The management stuff is actually not that easy to deal with in my opinion.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All the 'cloud' Quickbooks services I've seen use RDP into a Windows server somewhere.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack the Lad posted:

Thanks people who recommended Dell - I went with Latitudes and got a good price.

They're nice machines, but Windows 10 is a pain.

Just curious what you had in mind

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

with three people honestly friend you could use office 365 onedrive as your backup and run no server. or just a small essentials server for a fraction of your cost like sub 1k not including hardware.

I wouldn't do that. CPAs tend to like real computers and servers and will spend on it. Basically the ones I know use a Windows 7 Pro workstation as a server with RAID drives. Then they rotate USB HD backups and have Carbonite as a last resort type of thing. I don't do cloud stuff with them because it would take too long to get back up and running if something poo poo the bed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats what Essentials exists and the whole thing is a crock of poo poo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

i stand chastened.

my bad friend.

:smithfrog:

Working on Saturdays tends to do that. Go home you are IT'd.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google Apps.. contact sharing. Christ.

Hangouts still works for my apps account. I heard they were going to can it but I still use it every day and with the Dialer functionality.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 6, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whats this PST business? Don't y'all run into OSTs?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rick posted:

I'm honestly at a loss as where to ask this in 2017 and there doesn't seem to be a perfectly relevant thread.

I took over a small shop at the beginning of November. They had an older admin before (I'm not exactly young either, but like a guy in his late 50s), and while there are a few areas they're doing things a bit behind the time, there's either plans to upgrade in place or the stuff works well enough that it's not a pressing issue. Overall I'm really impressed. One big exception though is they have a program that everyone uses that uses Microsoft Access.

I was completely honest in my job interview that I didn't know how to do a ton in this software (like 10 years ago I made a little data entry form to add information into a DB and that's it) so expectations aren't high and there's talk of maybe eventually moving most of what lives in this DB to more modern solutions. There is one thing though that people would really like me to fix fast if I can, which is they need an item added to the employee reward system form.

I added the field to the .accdb, that was easy. But I can't figure out how to edit the form. I finally figured out how to open up the back end of the.accde but the form editing tools are greyed out (although it does show the field that I added in the linked table). I really just need to add a couple checkboxes that corespond to the backend and people will be happy.

Quickbooks bro. Just start using it at the new year. Great timing! Do you really want to give your accountant something other than a QB file?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying QB is good, I'm saying accounts want to see a QB file. Good luck!

[edit] Compared to Access, QB is better. There is zero reason to code any accounting anything at this point. If your accounting structure is not straight up normal which you indicated it is not, figure out why and fix the accounting. Sooner or later you will regret it.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 21, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

It wasn't a shot against you, I just have PTSD from Quickbooks.

I loving hate QB and yet I migrated from my own Access DB to a QB one because I don't want to ever do accounting again. That was 10 years ago or so.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

Did you know that if you're installing Quickbooks from a CD, that the install time will be 50%-80% shorter if you copy the contents of the CD to the local HD first, then run the installer from that folder?

CD? It's all downloads from here.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

Sorry, that was more of a "Quickbooks is bad" anecdote than any useful advice today, since Intuit's primary distribution method has been digital downloads for at least 5 years now.

I can't tell funny from true anymore. Shoot me now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of IT hell is that?!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

WAY back in the day, maybe 12 years ago, I built an IPCop box as the edge router for each of our offices. The boss liked that it had near-zero hardware cost (since any junky old PC we had lying around would work fine; just throw in another NIC), and I liked that it did site-to-site VPN and even OpenVPN for roaming users, with really minimal setup required. Yeah, I was a little leery of the whole company depending on cobbled-together frankenhardware and some obscure Linux distro, but it all worked great, for years on end.

Truth is, random old PCs are 100x more reliable than modern tiny surface mount stuff. They were built to last. China does not build to last.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Automatically having Cortana shout at you at max volume was the dumbest loving design decision.

Windows 10s full of similarly brain dead design decisions.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I managed some SBS and Exchange boxes like 7-8 years ago and my god I would never do that again. Im sure its better now (probably NOT!), but Office 365 has been my savior over the last years. And gently caress outlook. How in hell did MS make it worse, not better?!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

DHCP (not configured when i arrived, the router was doing that)

And that worked?! Thats like the first rule of SBS, DHCP on the server.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo where does windows 10 professional for workstations fit into that

Far as I can tell, its 10 Enterprise with a power plan which has any power saving stuff turned off for OMG MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. I get the feeling it is for more realtime systems.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

Recognize that the reason your predecessor did that clearly insane thing is likely because s/he was told "make it work right now, and don't spend any money on it."

This describes almost all IT problems. Almost.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is a fine line between insanity and money. Know your limits.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Something something XML file you edit somewhere in there and then you customize the start menu. Perfectly obvious.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair I would blame HP along with Edge. HP just sucks anymore.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah just running Tax software though? That could be anything really. I dunno why people are so averse to building a server box for a small operation. I use Asrock Rack motherboards, seasonic PSUs. Enterprise HDs, ECC RAM. Not hard whatsoever. Never had a failure or even so much as a call about something breaking.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

Liability. I'd never build a PC for any company I work for. You end up being support after you leave, and any problems are instantly your fault. God forbid the thing fails.

When you buy a server you get a warranty, you can probably sell the company on extended warranties and what not too if you are the IT guy and buying the server. "This has everything on it, you don't want to be sourcing spare parts on your own, have to pay overnight shipping on then after the failure, and all this takes 3-4 days while you are doing nothing" A server warranty generally has a next day on site, or even 3 hour mission critical option. The next day tends to be pretty reasonably priced too.

You could be the hero that saved the company $200 on a $2000 server, or be the guy that made a slow or broken piece of junk for cheap and didn't know what they were doing. It all depends on if the server dies before they expect it to, which I find small businesses think a server should last 10+ years.

Also never buy direct, always contact someone, even Dell. You can get a discount and they'll talk about what specs you need. Now if they suddenly want 5 additional pieces of software running on the server that you didn't plan for because no one mentioned them, you can bring up that you spoke with Dell about the software packages and tailored the server to the expected workload. Saying you did research and came up with the same specs could easily wind up them blaming you for "not planning for growth".

Key word, 'small operation'. Im curious though, what kind of server couldn't run a few extra software packages? I honestly can't even think of a scenario other than not having enough storage space or an older OS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

In this case I assumed it was set up for a single software package based on the chain of "Only runs tax software", and that the additional stuff would be rather demanding on CPU or RAM. Disk space isn't going to be the issue, but if you can run 5 times as much stuff as you purchase it for, you probably went a bit nuts on something.

They wanted a new server because they have been eyeing some ERP or CRM software and assumed a server was a server just get us a new one and it'll do everything! Well you intended for this to be DC with DHCP and DNS and also run that tax software and added a bit of extra RAM and got to 4-8GB of RAM (RAM prices are crazy right now if you haven't checked in the last year or two, RAM is more per gig than it was in 2010)

I find a lot of companies running old hardware have a list of software they can't run because of the old server. They never bring this list up even when asked about what software will run on it. This is brought up as soon as the hardware has been running smooth for a few months well outside any reasonable time frame to get something new.

Buying 16-32GB of RAM if you think you can probably get away with 4 is a massive waste, could you upgrade the RAM? Sure, but they aren't going to be happy about that added cost after the fact. They are going to say "The Dell was cheaper! Should have just gone with them!"

None of this scares me in the least. But of course I price my stuff with all this in mind. You sure you actually meant small shops? Maybe your definition and mine are different.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

Is it a common/accepted practice to run a public guest WiFi off the same firewall as the internal one(s) or should I push our contractor to keep it on a separate box? The ISP provides us multiple public IPs/ethernet ports on the router so it wouldn't be hard to just set up an extra device.
Our venue has ~250 devices (peak), 40 Unifi APs, 500 Mbit WAN and the firewall is pfsense on a quadcore machine. This of course all assumes the setup is done by certified professionals. My worry isn't so much about security but about something on the guest lan causing resource problems on the firewall that potentially takes all other internal networks down. The contractor thinks it'll be fine with one box. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Just get a seperate router. Costs what, $100 bux at most?!

quote:

At minimum have guest traffic going out it's own IP, and preferably through its own firewall.

Yeah and what if a guest downloads the latest blockbuster movie torrent on your business IP address. Not good things anyhow.

This can easily be done with VLANs as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

Their main argument is maintenance overhead and the fact the same WiFI will eventually provide access to the internal LANs via a seperate WPA2 encrypted SSID anyway (which I'm hesitant about due to security concerns :tinfoil:).

It's pretty easy to get pfsense to NAT one interface out through its own external IP (using multiple virtual IPs on one physical WAN interface) but I think you all are right despite the argument of the contractor, for now I'll sleep better knowing that the guest network is on its own box.

Maintenance overhead is a BS excuse. Put that one aside for a moment. Needing access to internal LANs means you probably should do VLANs. I actually have my own network set up like this with PFsense and Ubiquiti APs. It was really easy to accomplish actually.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like to give people a call on the phone so I don't have to stare at their face the whole time I am not paying attention.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

Most of the time our conferences are voip only without video.

Thank god am i rite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you might want to get a 10Gbe switch, maybe connect the high bandwidth stuff to it. I bet the Qnap can get a 10Gbe interface card as well.