Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i messed around with it, and had better luck with minimum rssi. We aren't doing voip over wifi, so a few ms of drop time was not a dealbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Give him a second alias and set the reply to address to that. Make a mailbox rule to match messages sent to the secondary reply to address. Jasshole@ vs j.rear end in a top hat@.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Gerdalti posted:

Let's talk remote lockdown for a second.

My company has recently started hiring people who work remotely 100% of the time (or near enough). This is new to me, and therefore I have not planned for it at all.

Now we're also FIRING people who work remotely 100% of the time, and the problem is that I can not just take their laptop from them the second they get fired (i.e. removing their access to steal company data).

I'm looking at Lojack and Prey at the moment, any advantages to either? Or another piece of software completely?

Vdi only, that way the laptop is useless to steal company data.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i'm probably a lovely boss, but at least I don't do poo poo like that.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I would put them on a vlan that goes only the internet and tell them they can use citrix.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We acquired another financial institution that used all macs and it was a bit of a challenge to convert them. Luckily they only had two branches, so there were not a lot of people with any clout post acquisition. We just set them all up on boot camp to get them on windows. Believe it or not the hardest part was dealing with the examiners. Even though they booted exclusively into windows, we had to replace the computers because we couldn't prove we were patching macosx. It was dumb.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

As long as you clearly define where IT department support ends and user responsibility begins, having Macs in the environment isn't bad. These days you can run win7+office 2013 in a vm on a mac with barely any slowness, and of course published apps. If an employee has been using Mac their whole life and is going to be more productive on a Mac then they should have one IMHO. Just make sure they know they need to fix their own keychain.
You are still required to patch the machines on your production network. A compromised mac is still going to be a hazard to the network. It needs to be on an untrusted vlan if you aren't supporting it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

So patch it what's the problem? I feel like most patch management solutions can do OS X at this point. The RMM we use does, I know KACE and altiris do in theory...
Yeah, let me be responsible for patching another OS. The point is, gently caress macs. But if some dickfuck really needs one, you can do it with some kind of vdi or app virtualization.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

In some cases this gets tricky... For example graphics dude has some beast desktop and he wants to be able to do some work remotely. He's not expecting native performance ofc but he does want to, for instance, open indesign and make some small edits. In this case my solutions don't work because:
i think adobe lets you install twice per user, once on company equipment and once on their home equipment. Now you just need to get him his files.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
how thin are msp margins that it makes sense to do that yourself?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

India phone/remote support and the random starting out of people's garage companies are running prices into the ground in many markets. We've had several customers go to those and come back several months later with horror stories.
Exactly. You can't compete on price, but the service should be much better. I just can't imagine supporting the hardware to the point of tracking swapped SSDs.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i'd just run a packet capture and see what machines are generating traffic at the time of a lockout. Probably need to do it after hours to minimize the traffic.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
gently caress you for validating the idea that we should reevaluate our firewall rules every quarter.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

lol PCI/HIPAA compliance
it's a sad life.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

but it's not really nothing. For the cost to be nothing you need to not do the work. Which brings me to

just don't upgrade at all. Windows 7 has five years left.
quoted for truth. We'll probably run 7 for 3 more years before beginning our migration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I would totally trade my current 'next in line for CIO' job at an 800 person company for CIO at a 200 person company, but only if executive management agreed to let me ban non-standard poo poo, including macs, immediately upon hire. Even though CIO at a 200 person company probably is more like network admin with 1-2 direct reports, gently caress macs in the enterprise.