Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Comfortador posted:

So I'm looking for advice/opinions. My boss is having me take lead on picking our hosted phone solution, and I'm narrowing it down. Out of the blue one of our old vendors shows us a Jive demo and it doesn't look bad but it's clearly not as polished as a couple of the others we're looking at. However the price is loving ridiculous. Currently I'm looking at Nextiva, Mitel, potentially Bullseye and then Jive. Does anyone have any "OH DEAR GOD NO" when they see any of those?

loving invest in quality headsets - solves 50+% of poo poo quality call issues. The other 48% is getting a good internet connection and applying proper QoS to it in the router.

The only "per usage" billing of any consequence in the backend is on the telco usage (calls to/from other phone numbers - not between pbx users/extensions) at about 1-2c/min. You can get billed per second/minute, or based upon channel concurrency. 98% of the time you should choose per second unless you run a call center like place.

Make sure they support SIP and WebRTC calls on the PBX and you can bring your own endpoints. Since you'll get nailed for licensing on the endpoint software, find something that actually works for your people. Maybe it's the software the provider supplies (50/50). What I'm implying is that there's lots of free sip clients, but most are ugly poo poo, so you're going to pay for something. Also when people demand a conference phone in the conference room you can easily add one that actually works for the space.

The cost in the backend for adding a new extension is literally the cost of licensing the endpoint. [Implying that if you use your own free SIP client, it should be basically free to add a new extension].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

RT (request tracker) if you are a Linux shop. (it's written in Perl).

Super flexible, but you need to understand Perl to take advantage of it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

spiny posted:

so are those ^ settings what -should- be in place if I have VoIP phones?

Now days the correct settings for voip phones is to turn off any/all voip specific settings in the firewall - phones and pbxes have all compensated for nat issues years ago.

For QOS - just give traffic to the PBX ip address a high priority.

That's basically it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Revalis Enai posted:

From what Potato Salad said, I'm assuming there are security issues with just throwing up an ASP.net site without someone who knows what they are doing. I'm not gonna pretend to know why so I'm just looking at alternatives.

The local place near me that does takeout only went with these guys: https://www.gloriafood.com/ - A basic operation/site is free, and generally works. Frills obviously start costing extra.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Just use mobile/cell (lte) data unless you are really in a bad spot. Satellite will bring a whole load of new problems (high latenxy/etc) that you won't see on cellular.

Your company also probably already deals with cell companies and you can negotiate a deal for data plans most likely.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Use whatever video conference setup. Like zoom room has a dedicated phone option that uses the same gear/controls so you don't need a second set of gear.

If you really can't do that and need more desk crap sitting there, then any current conference phone setup is fine.

Of your room is a huge desk, just be mindful you might need an additional microphone.

Oh, and don't forget that hard surfaces echo audio, so if people complain that the mic sucks, that is probably your issue.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

There's a whole bunch of decent gear out there these days - the cost points are generally if you get a ptz (pan tilt zoom) camera or a fixed high end webcam.

I'm kind of sour on Logitech because they try and do things like use custom cables (extensions $200) and their drivers if needed lag considerably behind the hardware. They're a huge company so they do marketing deals with all the conference companies so that's why they are listed.

Aver is lately what I've recommended for high quality general purpose gear that hooks to a mac/pc.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

What's the recommended best practice for dual PSU servers if I have only one UPS?

I do experience the occasional power outage, but not power surges.

Both PSUs on UPS or one PSU on UPS, one directly in the wall?

Put both into the same ups.

If you put one into the wall (no ups), when there's an outage then the entire load goes on the remaining power supply which is on the ups anyways and now you've lost redundancy of the power supplies.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

It's the size of the DNS packet and the crap resolver in the scanner that bombs out if it's too big a packet. (Often happens when there's additional info tossed into the response). Usually happens when there's authority info added to the packet - which will increase the packet size to >256bytes.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

3 level CNAMEs is the proper way of doing things (public name -> service load balance -> cluster loadbalance -> machines), but because of the old 256b limit, many large entities have had to fix their responses to be below it.

The quick fix was to shorten your domain name. (ever wonder why some companies have a weird short domain behind the scenes? Usually this) But these days most combine all the above into a single response (cloudflare/etc) now.

The culprit long time ago wasn't printers, but was actually firewalls that ran DNS filter proxies (no one does that any more) that had the same issue and dropped large packets.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

mewse posted:

Is there any documentation on how this setup works / what this setup is supposed to be used for? I did find the xxx.mail.protection.outlook.com hostname for our o365 tenant and it only resolves to a single IP address with no CNAMEs, I'm just wondering about why it would accept smtp submissions on port 25 with no authentication.

e: hmm this looks like it has the details

Basically you're delivering email directly to ms365's external server like a normal spam message. It'll get scanned like normal mail, so you'll have to do some tweaks in your exchange setup so the external IP it's coming from passes or something.

This way you don't need a license. Also, MS is trying to get rid of normal/plain authentication on pop/imap/smtp eventually so 2FA actually works.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Yes, until the gear is more important than the DHCP server (like your SAN/NAS box generally is).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Number19 posted:

Each one comes with a serial cord, and my current best practice is to leave that cord attached at all times as a precaution.

ninja: I'm actually going to update this to just put in a dummy RJ45 with no wire in it with a big NO attached to it

You know the next person will see that as a big ON instead and do something bad.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Pi based systems are where they're at these days for displays.

I've used https://yodeck.com in the past and been happy, but it's monthly/yearly pricing. The do provide a free pi though with each sub.
(If you have your own Pi, you can hook up one screen for free "for testing" per account)

Finding a free system will usually entail you having to build and maintain a backend system to host it - something generally covered by the monthly fees.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

bolind posted:

Explain dark fiber to me. I pay some ISP/telco/whatever some money each month, they patch up the right poo poo in the right places, I can set up some networking equipment on either end and voila, connectivity?

Something to keep in mind is that it's "unmanaged", so when there is an outage there's lots of finger pointing at you (saying your optics are hosed), and then it's a slow process for the fiber techs (1 per side generally) who get to walk the line to find the spot where the fiber is damaged. There's no 10min outages on dark fiber.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you're a small/mid sized company, welcome to a new form of pain/pressure unless you've got a great project manager. Stock up on aspirin! A couple of tips:

Conference rooms are their own beast - get the highest ranked exec to tell you want they want to see/do in there (Dual screens/etc). If they want a control system that's beyond a zoom room ipad controller (like for lights/content switching), then contract the entire room setup out to AV professionals. You end up with power and ethernet in the weirdest of places if the room is of any larger size. It'll be $50k+, but that's someone else's problem/budget then. You think you might be able to do it, but it's not worth it.

You're specing 2x drops per desk, but this day in age, expect to drop it to 1x drop and use that budget savings for something else. Soft phones and wifi are the new kings sadly.

And watch out for lead times on gear. The 48 port switches and hard phones you want basically don't exist any more (or have 3+mo lead times) - governments are now exercising "critical infrastructure" rules to bump everyone down. Expect different/weird or used gear if you can't deal with that.

Make sure you constantly view the build plans/drawings for the space, as that's what the construction people use. If it's not on there, it's not being done, and wasn't quoted by them. You'll find someone in accounting starts stripping things from it without checking with you if it's essential.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

We use a bunch of different mpow gear, xmpow.com or amazon

They've got a lot of blinky light gamer headsets, but their office focused ones are better (I use HC5 myself) - biggest thing I notice these days is making sure devices are bluetooth 5.0 - it increases the call quality by a large amount and you get waaay better battery time.

If you need full on headset button integration with an app (eg teams), then you're going to pay top $ for that with other companies like Jabra.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Yeah, you've got lovely line voltage that's momentarily going out of spec (according to the ups) causing the ups to go to battery. 6sec is probably the minimum length of time on battery.

As mentioned above, see if you can change the good input voltage range on the ups.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

In ms365, convert to a shared mailbox and attach to the manager's account. Generally after a few of these, the manager gets pissed off having to monitor so many extra mailboxes anything important is dealt with and the request to shut down the mailbox comes in.

Don't make it your problem, make it the managers.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

VDI/Remote desktop type of scenario is basically the only way to keep your sanity if you can't control the endpoint network capabilities (ie: if it's a work from home/remote situation).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

First question(s) is always "What's your budget (total)" and "what's your budget (ongoing/per user)".

Assuming it's as close to zero/zero as you can (as this is the SMB thread), it's always a case of making sure your OS/software is constantly being updated (auto update is preferred) and standardize as much as possible.

Firewalls are really just a way of cutting down the crap from the internet with a filter, as realistically you'll get nailed by someone downloading a malicious PDF or hitting a website that pops up an alert saying they've been hacked and call 1-800-gently caress-you with their credit card. All this is basically ITsec way saying "secure the endpoints". You can spend lots on more powerful firewalls, but for the average office, the firewall/router provided by the ISP is just as good as the next one (until you get into content inspection, which has it's own issues), and really just have extra features/better web interfaces.

If you have ongoing budget, and a windows house - look into MS365 business premium, which'll include all your email hosting and the upgraded security packages from microsoft. Also, if you do have an incident, you can get ahold of one of many MSPs and it's an interface that they already know and should be used to unfucking fairly quickly.

unknown fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 20, 2023

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

For iot devices - Create a vlan for the devices, and in the wifi setup of the new ssid, you should be able to turn on device isolation so that data can only go out to the network (ie: router) and they can't see other wifi devices. (Basically the same as you'd do for a wifi guest network).

365Premium is a massive step up in features - you even get intune for managing endpoints and things like on the fly link checking and all those goodies. Basically replacing your rippling IT setup (as I see it integrates with HR, so maybe you can't). That being said, it can be complicated as hell since it scales to enterprise levels/sizes.

For general education: best I've seen for free learning is videos on youtube - search for whatever specific software/scenarios (like intune) - there's a ton of educational ones there, but watch out that many "age out" as it can be for older versions of the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Yes it can be done. Freepbx defaults make it a bit of a pain to do for security reasons though.