Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyjibo
Apr 1, 2003

stevewm posted:

Ubiquiti Unifi... https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac/

The AC capable models are about $260 USD. Management software is free and does not require a subscription/support contract/yearly extortion fee. Runs on Linux, Mac, Windows.

For even cheaper, the 2.4Ghz only models (UniFi UAP) are only around $80USD each..

I know this is from a while ago, but we just finished our deployment of UAP-LR's a few weeks ago (11 total for a >500k sqft warehouse) and they've been strong and solid. The controller (management) software was easy to spin up and works decently. The AP's themselves run busybox, so you can ssh in if you want, and I ended up doing to do some basic troubleshooting while we were deploying. There are a couple of weird things:

- Out of 13 units, we had 2 defective.
- 24V PoE. Who does that? And for >85m runs, they get kind of flaky, you may end up needing to get inline 48V->24V voltage regulators from them and just use your powered switch. That fixed the long runs for us.
- DNS suffix doesn't stick when you set a static IP address (which is important if you want to keep the default announcement url). This could be a derp on my side, but I couldn't figure it out and had to hard-code the suffix in the static IP settings.
- "The community" seems to provide an unnerving amount of support that I would rather see come from the company. Which leads to...

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I was looking at ubiquiti but I'm really concerned about the apparent lack of support. I understand that they ~just work~ but if/when there's a problem it's basically email support only, or use their forums lol. I need to pick up a phone when wifi isn't working.
We've opened a few tickets with them, and they respond pretty quickly, although with people who very clearly do not speak English as their first language and sometimes do not understand your question. One thing we learned through their support is that their zero-handoff feature is caveat emptor -- our old MC9090G's don't play nice with ZH with WPA for whatever reason and so we had to turn it off. Which is too bad, it's a neat idea.

Kwyjibo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyjibo
Apr 1, 2003
I guess the passive PoE thing makes sense that way then.

My understanding of zero-handoff is that it sets AP's to the same channel and sets the broadcast mac address to be the same for all AP's, so that they effectively look the same to client devices. In our case we don't have to worry about interference since it's a warehouse and we don't have office neighbors. I can see why having many devices on the same channel would be a problem for a place with a lot of other businesses nearby though. Anyway, we didn't have a business requirement for seamless roaming, but figured if we can turn it on, then why not do so and save the time it takes to reassociate?