Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Small IT shop; medium sized environment.

What would you guys suggest for tracking inventory and network devices? Spiceworks has never been a hit with me, personally.

Really just want something lightweight that's not excel, and maybe that can track relationships and site association of devices. Bonus points if it can be tied to an end user in AD for end user devices.

Or should I give spiceworks another go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tots posted:

Hey guys. I have a chance to get into a sysadmin job for ~80 users. As far as I know, I would be the only one there although I've been told there's budget for temporary consultants if I need help with something. This is for a new contract in a new building and I'd basically be setting things up from the ground up.. Nothing is in place yet. No domain, no ticketing system, etc.. Does this sound like a good opportunity or a death wish?

I run a similar environment from a similar starting point.

Except it was more like 30 end users, but theyre software developers, and an application we develop that has about 5000 external users.

Most days its pretty awesome.
Once in a while it sucks super, super bad. Being the only end to support before calling in a consultant or pinging Microsoft can be stressful if something goes wrong.

If you're going to be the only point for user support (I am) on top of IT infrastructure - automation and centralized management is critical. Although that will depend on the neediness of the end users, and complexity of the infrastructure. I'm more on the "complex infrastructure, easy end user" side of that spectrum.

Good resume block though. Make sure you have an adequate budget to work with and purchasing is handled intelligently; thats been my biggest headache.

I'm in the process of pushing for a junior admin to take the more menial tasks as our infrastructure grows (so there's a potential segue into management for you)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What do you guys use for team chat and project planning?

I'm suddenly going from a single senior admin do-it-all type, to having two employees under me. I'd like to start off on the right foot and get to using a means to track projects/to-do-lists, as well as chat as we're a telework heavy office.

Right now I'm leaning towards slack for chat/discussions, and asana for project planning (both being free really helps).

Anything I'm missing with regard to options? Cheap/free is absurdly helpful due to our procurement process (not due to lack of money, mind you, just slowness with getting ahold of anything).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Do any of you guys work from home? I am sole it person and I get the feeling this won't fly since it seems like every day im called around to insert toner carts or show people how to check voicemail.

I'm the sole IT infrastructure guy in a dev organization (with a fairly large infrastructure), and we've grown enough that I'm now hiring under me.

To answer your question - yes.I work from home Mon/Wed/Fri and have zero issues. Two days a week allows me to sort out the office-critical issues, image workstations, and perform minor office maintenance tasks.

It does help that my end users are software developers so the competence level isn't all bad, and I dont really deal with printers, thank gently caress.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Swink posted:

Will it be worth a look then? Is the consumer version less poo poo?

I really like everything about it 'on paper' but I don't want to tout something that will cause me grief.

I run the consumer version because it's included in my personal office purchase.

I pay for Dropbox rather than use it for anything other than throwaway files that I don't want to count towards my Dropbox space. It's really not nearly as elegant and tends to be really laggy compared to Dropbox. Dropbox does differential updates, which OneDrive does not, which is also nice.

I mean, it's probably better than OneDrive for Business, but it's not impressing me either. Dropbox is way more solid IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I haven't had to do this since Windows XP days but back then when you hit ctrl+alt+del to log in, you could select to connect to VPN first. you'd use the built-in Windows VPN client.

You can do similar with Win 10 by creating VPN connection and then clicking the network icon in the lower right before logon